Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #41  
Because in my neck of the woods, it's not unusual to have pumps that will make over 300 pounds of pressure. When the valve closes and the tank is filling at 1/2 gpm and you put 300 pounds of pressure on pipe that is rated for 160 psi......could be a problem.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #42  
It also seems terribly energy inefficient.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #43  
On a side note, what's a "disruptive product?". Sorry OP.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #44  
A market disruptor is a product or service that disrupts the sale of another product or service. Usually in a bad way but can be in a good way too.

i.e. a solar farm would disrupt the sale of coal or a coal burning power plant.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #45  
Thank you, never heard that term before.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #46  
I had similar incident recently. Well is located in a landscape bed. We mulched with new black triple shred mulch. Then it rained big time. We think the rain washed dye off the mulch and into the well. Black-stained water for a few days. We must have a fissure in our casing somewhere.
I have an RO system for drinking water. Don’t know yet what it did to filters.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #47  
I have always had sediment in my water here and lots of things contribute to it. Originally the well was 180 feet. Some time around 1998 it went try do to a drought and had it drilled to about 240. The casing does not go all the way down. Since then the sediment can be worse than it was. It mostly happens when it rains, the heavier the rain the more sediment it gets. My well guy figures that when the ground water level goes up due to rain that water pours into the well from higher inlets and this stirs up the water. A week without rain and there's no sediment.

I have a hole house filter, three 20 micron filters in parallel.

Also, if you just replaced the pump, that could have had something to do with it. I had my pump replaced 2 years ago, it was running almost continuously to get and keep my system up to pressure. A pump that is running continuously can stir things up.

Like other said, wait a few days and see if it clears. If it's raining now wait a few days after the rain has stopped.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #48  
Because in my neck of the woods, it's not unusual to have pumps that will make over 300 pounds of pressure. When the valve closes and the tank is filling at 1/2 gpm and you put 300 pounds of pressure on pipe that is rated for 160 psi......could be a problem.
With a pump that can build over 300 PSI it is usually in a low producing well with a high static water level. A pump building that much pressure is unusual and is the hardest application for a CSV. But usually the well pipe is rated for enough pressure to handle the back pressure. We just have to use two CSV's in series to stair step the pressure down from 300 to the 50 PSI constant that you need. Even 300 PSI back pressure is easier on the pump than cycling on and off.

However, most low producing wells are equipped with a cistern or storage tank, so the pressure from the pump is a moot point. Then the CSV is used on the booster pump to keep it from cycling on and off while the house uses water.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #49  
It also seems terribly energy inefficient.
The CSV is just as efficient as a VFD, which many people claim will SAVE energy even thought it doesn't. However, both the VFD and the CSV use more energy per gallon when using low flow rates. A house doesn't use much water, and there is usually no difference in the electric bill when using a CSV. But even if it cost two dollars a month more in electricity, it more than makes up for that in the longevity of the pump and equipment.

Efficiency really only matters when using water for long terms like irrigation. So, when irrigating, care must be taken to use enough water to keep the pump efficient, same as it is with any pump control system. When using max flow from the pump, it is just as efficient with a CSV as without.

/ Well Water Has Suddenly Gone Brown #50  
On a side note, what's a "disruptive product?". Sorry OP.
I didn't know what is was either. I also had never heard of "planned obsolescence". And I got real angry when I figured out what they were. I cannot believe that almost every product we buy is deigned to fail in a certain and short amount of time, but they are. I had been going to pump schools and factory training for 25 years with them telling me their pump was better than the others because of blah, blah, blah, and I could make them last longer by installing them in this or that way. But when they were offered a real solution to making pumps last longer and use smaller tanks, they wanted nothing to do with it. That is when I figured out the manufacturers are out to get us. They build planned obsolescence into everything we buy.

The quote I got from the retired engineers for those pump companies was this. "Cycle Stop Valves make pumps last longer and use smaller tanks. Anyone who works for the company, who makes pumps and tanks, that even mentions a CSV will be fired immediately."

I always thought if you "Built a better mousetrap, people would beat a path to your door". I found out if you make a mousetrap so good it could make mice extinct, they will do everything they can to put you out of business, as there is a lot of money in mousetraps, just like in pumps.

Last edited: