Well, that is strange!

/ Well, that is strange! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Youngest daughter and her family are on vacation at Hilton Head Island. They went horseback riding yesterday morning. Son in law stayed with the four month old in a stroller while my daughter took the ten and soon to be seven year old out on a trail ride. Everything was okay until the horses started leaving the corral. Two stopped and refused to move. The lady in charge pulled, pushed, and tried everything but the horses wouldn't move. Then she glanced around and saw my SIL with the stroller. She said those horses had seen the stroller and wouldn't budge until they saw the baby. So my SIL turned the stroller around and pushed it up next to the fence. The horses looked over at the baby for a few minutes standing very still. Then they turned and walked out of the corral following the others. The lady explained that they had been raised and trained on a farm that had small children and knew what the stroller contained and ALWAYS had to look at the babies before they would work.

Never heard of such before.

RSKY

Last edited:
   / Well, that is strange! #2  
I remember having a riding lesson in a crowded arena (3-4 different riding schools using it. Downtown Sydney) when someone walked a miniature horse passed the arena...

A majority of these highly disciplined 'schoolmaster horses' stopped and wouldn't really answer their riders until they'd been allowed to go over and 'check out' the miniature. They'd never seen one before.

Curiously, the majority of the horses were geldings.

/ Well, that is strange! #3  
Youngest daughter and her family are on vacation at Hilton Head Island. They went horseback riding yesterday morning. Son in law stayed with the four month old in a stroller while my daughter took the ten and soon to be seven year old out on a trail ride. Everything was okay until the horses started leaving the corral. Two stopped and refused to move. The lady in charge pulled, pushed, and tried everything but the horses wouldn't move. Then she glanced around and saw my SIL with the strolled. She said those horses had seen the stroller and wouldn't budge until they saw the baby. So my SIL turned the stroller around and pushed it up next to the fence. The horses looked over at the baby for a few minutes standing very still. Then they turned and walked out of the corral following the others. The lady explained that they had been raised and trained on a farm that had small children and knew that the stroller contained and ALWAYS had to look at the babies before they would work.

Never heard of such before.

RSKY
And they say animals don't have souls

/ Well, that is strange! #4  
Horses are very intelligent IMHO. My mare Monday kept one eye closed so equine veterinarian came out last night. Using this green dye it was easy to see she had a scratched cornea. I administer antibiotic ophthalmic ointment 4x/day. She knows I'm helping her and eye is looking better. I also gently use a cold compress. She must have hit eye on something, stick, etc.
Riding her home one evening it got pitch dark last year. She knew the way back. Going along and she stopped! I tried gentle cropping...wouldn't budge. Then I felt overhead was a big tree limb. I dismounted, walked around then continued on.
My great grandfather's horse pulling a carriage refused to cross railroad tracks, late 1800s. He whipped her...still wouldn't budge...then a runaway train went flying past.
2023_10_04_20.20.56.jpg
2023_10_04_20.21.08.jpg
2023_10_04_20.21.53.jpg

/ Well, that is strange! #5  
Went riding with a gal I used to date. The horse I was on had to stop and greet every bug it met That was one long ride

/ Well, that is strange! #6  
When I dated my wife we were teenagers. My Dad had horses & she had a Morgan mare. We had this real steep hill & I bet her I could ride my Yamaha trail bike up that hill better than a horse. (I liked Dad's horses, trimmed hooves, fed...didn't ride). She saddled Dad's Arabian stallion & we took off. I made it halfway, she rode "Blaze" to the top...he looked like he was climbing a ladder!
Then wife had me ride her friend Susan's horse...19hh!!!! Race against wife's horse. They knew what would happen (top fuel vs bracket car )...me (125# then) all I could do was hang on...! And I then had a full gallop through the woods! That was one fast ride!!!!!