Well&pump questions

/ Well&pump questions #1  

Everhard

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti Ck2510
Okay, mostly not really tractor oriented other than I'll be using the tractor in some capacity I'm sure... but regardless I'm hoping to pick some brains!

Situation - my house is fed by a shallow well, water quality is excellent. Any drilled well the quality isn't good, typically high Sulphur and iron content. Downside of my shallow well is during prolonged droughts the water level in the well drops down to the point that I can easily draw it down to the point the pump sucks air. Worst case scenarios the water level in the well drops below the pump pickup. Pump is a submersible style.

My situation isn't any different then my neighbors. They either suffer with poor water quality or good quality but limited.

My one neighbor did what I've been thinking of doing which is installed a cistern that is filled by a good well which keeps the cistern topped up at its own rate. During droughts the cistern is large enough to service the house until the water in the well comes back up.

So I'm thinking I'll do the same. Now finally the question!

The submersible pump is 220v, can I put a float switch on one legs of the pump, will that turn it off or will it damage the pump?
Second question is does anyone have any experience with something that can monitor the water level in a cistern or tank? I will want to know when the cistern isn't getting filled.

Thanks, E.

/ Well&pump questions #2  
some suggestions on what becomes a slightly complex issue. You want the well pump to fill the cistern, then use the ”full” level to trip off the pump at the pressure switch. You could then use an “on demand “ type pump to feed the house off the cistern.

a pump up float rated for your particular pump in the cistern would turn off the well pump.

a tank guage (if wanted) can be really simple or wireless, something like these…

Last edited:
   / Well&pump questions #3  
We have something very similar for our sprinkler system. 2 pumps, 1 for pond to storage tank, another from storage tank to sprinklers. We used 3 float switches (like would be used for a septic tank pump), One to protect pond pump(if pond get low), and two in the storage tank. One to turn on pond pump when storage tank goes down a little, and another to turn sprinkler pump off if storage tank gets too low.

/ Well&pump questions #4  
We have something very similar for our sprinkler system. 2 pumps, 1 for pond to storage tank, another from storage tank to sprinklers. We used 3 float switches (like would be used for a septic tank pump), One to protect pond pump(if pond get low), and two in the storage tank. One to turn on pond pump when storage tank goes down a little, and another to turn sprinkler pump off if storage tank gets too low.
why did you decide not to pump straight from pond to sprinklers? elevation changes?

/ Well&pump questions #5  
why did you decide not to pump straight from pond to sprinklers? elevation changes?

I know one good resaon to pump from pond to tank and then to the sprinkler system. It helps let any sediment settle and keeps the junk from plugging the sprinkler nozzles and distribution solenoid valves. When I was younger I did a lot of repair on sprinkler systems for lake houses. They all pumped directly out of a lake and I think a cistern would have paid for itself in reduced repair bills pretty quickly.

/ Well&pump questions #6  
Long story over several years.
Started as just a spring, running to creek. Runs at maybe 8 gpm, year round.
Started by attempting to dig hole, with backhoe, for 6' fiberglass tank with bottom cut out & holes drilled for water inlet, thinking we would have a 6' diameter well. Unable to complete as desired. Tractor about to fall in from ground caving in.
We had a 2500 gal tank, so used it for storage. Then wanted more water. Added a 10,000 gal tank. It siphons, overhead to keep two tanks level. By pumping from pond into large tank, siphon to small tank, pump from small tank to sprinklers, we are able to do away with most of filter systems. Hauled in clay to create pond dam for more storage.
During summer, we pump about 10,000 gal per day, 3 or 4 days per week.

/ Well&pump questions #7  
Long story over several years.
Started as just a spring, running to creek. Runs at maybe 8 gpm, year round.
Started by attempting to dig hole, with backhoe, for 6' fiberglass tank with bottom cut out & holes drilled for water inlet, thinking we would have a 6' diameter well. Unable to complete as desired. Tractor about to fall in from ground caving in.
We had a 2500 gal tank, so used it for storage. Then wanted more water. Added a 10,000 gal tank. It siphons, overhead to keep two tanks level. By pumping from pond into large tank, siphon to small tank, pump from small tank to sprinklers, we are able to do away with most of filter systems. Hauled in clay to create pond dam for more storage.
During summer, we pump about 10,000 gal per day, 3 or 4 days per week.
😂 doh, I had lawn sprinklers on my brain. That would be a heck of a yard, but then again it is in Texas.

/ Well&pump questions #8  
Would it be possible to drill deeper without getting into sulfur water for more volume/water storage underground..?? A lot more expensive option but sounds like a more permanent solution.

/ Well&pump questions #9  
😂 doh, I had lawn sprinklers on my brain. That would be a heck of a yard, but then again it is in Texas.
It is lawn sprinklers, but maybe 2 acres.

/ Well&pump questions
It doesn't seem to matter how deep the wells are drilled. Same nasty water quality..
The float switch is exactly what I'm considering, just wondering if that on one lead of the 220v submersible pump will turn it on and off or off it'll damage the pump?

E.