Well Hardware

/ Well Hardware #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I am having a new house built and the contractor installed a canister type filter (about 3/4 gallon) downstream from the diaphragm pressure tank. I was thinking that it should be installed upstream so that the pressure tank doesn't fill up with sediment. Any thoughts on this? Its a brand new well and not yet pumping so I don't know the quality of the water.

Also, if one pressure tanks is good are two better? I was thinking about installing a second one in series to save the well pump from cycling so often. Is my thinking right here or am I all wet (no pun intended)?

/ Well Hardware #2  
My system is set up the same way.
If the filter becomes blocked (someone forgot to replace filter element) Pump would be cycling off and on with just a small use of water. Since the outlet for the tank is at the bottom of tank it should stay clean.
You may want to consider a pair of 20" X 4" filters if only a single filter is being put in line.

/ Well Hardware #3  
I believe for stated reasons,,all filters go between tank and outlet,,,,yeah you can put in more pressure tanks,,,but the best would be just get a bigger one,[if it will fit,,you can find out most of this online,,under water wells or diaphram water pressure tanks,or something like that,,I've looked it up before,,yeah,,get it right if you are just installing stuff,,less you use pump,the longer it will last,,although mine was in ground 12 years ago when we bought this place and it still works,[knock on my head],,and on top of that,,air tanks bladder had a hole in it for a year before I figured it out,,so it was cycleing constantly for a year or more.. thingy

/ Well Hardware #5  
I have to agree with your assessment of the filter placement. I am currently replacing my system, and will put the filter before the pressure tank. Ron has a good point about the pump cycling if the filter is clogged, so I will have to be dilligent in my maintenance. However, I can attest to having a pressure tank full of sediment, and my outlet is on the bottom of the tank. So the sediment will get there. One thing to consider is that if you put the filter inline before the tank, make sure that it is after the pressure cut-off switch. If you don't and the filter is clogged, the pump will continue to run until it hits it's overload cut-off. Yes you can put two tanks in also, but I would run them parallel instead of in series. But if you have room for a larger tank, that works just as well with less plumbing to do.

/ Well Hardware #6  
I would def. check the filter & well pump specs.. gpm limits. If your 1/2 hp well pump kicks out 25 gpm.. and the filter can only do 10 gpm.. it seems like you would over work your well pump.

When I had my well pump replaced.. the well guy installed a bigger tank in series w/ my original.. he said it would cut down on the cycling of the pump.

/ Well Hardware #7  
Kensfarm,
I'm a little confused about the pressure tanks being in series. The ones I have seen have only one fitting on the tank. Do your tanks have more than one fitting on them? If not, It seems that the plumbing would have to be in parrallel. Maybe I'm missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Well Hardware
I take series to mean that the water would flow from one tank into the other one and then to the house. Parallel would mean there would be a "Y" and the water could flow simultaneously through both pressure tanks, though I think it would take the path of least resistance. The series sounds more logical to me. The plumbing would be up to you or the installer. I believe all of the tanks only have one inlet and one outlet.

I went to Sears where they sell water softeners and filters and they said the filter should be after the pressure tank. I also read the instructions on one of their filters and it said to install it after the pressure tank. No one offered an explanation as to why this should be done.

/ Well Hardware #9  
actually you CAN'T install them "IN-SERIES" as they do not go THROUGH the tank only into one tank so they will be in the same LINE but basically in PARALLEL and or a T or Y config. it is better if you have a BIGGER HOUSE to use 2 tanks one at each end of the house if water runs back and forth. that way you have more even pressure from both ends of the lines...

anyhow it SHOULD be tank then filter as other mentioned... it can build up some sediment but usually you should flush the system every so often (monthly, bi-monthly or 90days) by OPENING an outlet which SHOULD BE tied in at the pump/tank/pressure switch valve body. this will DUMP the water in the tank and flush out any thing that gets in there.

the 2nd tank down stream of the filter would only need a single 1/2" or so line into it the primary tank will have the pressure switch, pump outlet line, primary tank inlet fitting, and primary drain valve/hose shut off valve.

Mark M

/ Well Hardware #10  
"I take series to mean that the water would flow from one tank into the other one and then to the house"

Yes.. this is how they set it up.. the new tank's pressure valve controls the well pump.