Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740

/ Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740 #31  
For the distance you were talking you could’ve roaded it but the trailer was fine. I’m getting to the point I’d rather road mine 20 miles than load it on a trailer. I think it’ll do everything you need it to do, maybe a little slower but these tractors have come along ways since your 6800

Brett

/ Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740
For the distance you were talking you could’ve roaded it but the trailer was fine. I’m getting to the point I’d rather road mine 20 miles than load it on a trailer. I think it’ll do everything you need it to do, maybe a little slower but these tractors have come along ways since your 6800

Brett

Roading it was my only choice with the 6800....and then I had to catch a ride and involve other people when I needed to transport....plus the traffic on the highway.....just kind of a pain. The little compact 5740 I have loaded it twice and so far so good. I have bent that mesh stuff on my gate....gonna have to get someone involved in this to beef it up somehow. But it pulls really good, easy to load, and that 16 foot trailer is easy to handle and haul around. I did notice the tires smashing a little. They are brand new radials.....but so far so good...just not going to be able to put implements on there.

I have a 7 foot land pride grader scraper I have to figure out how to get it home on occasion. I have a good friend who's house I frequent often and his driveway has basically turned into mud. He's the kind of person that won't do anything about it until he can't get to his house anymore. Drives me bat **** crazy....I'm gonna get this fixed for him ASAP.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I put some tire shine and buffed it out today....it was pretty faded...I think the previous owner stored it outside....I will get it dirty soon enough but while she's in here with these other garage queens before she goes out to the farm I'll let her wear her lipstick and makeup.....

2018-02-25 16.24.59.jpg

/ Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740 #34  
I waxed the hood on my 34 year old backhoe yesterday. :)

/ Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740 #35  
Your 5740 will handle your light weight 12' Land Pride BW in most conditions but ground speed will be low. Don't expect to do much with the 10' disc, though.

Keep your fuel cans handy. You will use lots of fuel.

SDT

I have been pleased with the fuel consumption on my M7060HDC12 pulling a 12' BH batwing. It does a good bit better than the MX5100 DT with 6' BH. I would think the MX5100 & the L5740 engines are close turbocharged cousins - the MX was pretty thirsty.

HP

Last edited:
   / Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740 #36  
I have a 16' trailer for my 5240 and 3130 before that. But mine is a 10k equipment trailer. I typically had a logging winch on the 3-point and either a bucket or grapple on the FEL. It fit, best if I loaded backwards, and with a few inches overhang for the bucket at the rear. Did that for a few years successfully. Brakes on both axles. 16' is really too small for one of these, but it will work in a pinch. Your mesh gate tells me you have a landscape trailer, and you are asking for trouble (especially if it is only 7k). If I was needing to do it again, I would get a 20-24' equipment trailer, rated 10k or more and probably get aluminum ramps for it also (when I got those, it was a godsend). I would go for extra length if you had a long mower or something you needed to haul in place. 20' would be fine without that issue.

/ Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740 #37  
I think you will like the L5740 HSTC,can't seeing it fit on a 16' trailer.

Again congrats on your new tractor;didn't mean to ruffle any feathers about your trailer.I have a very similar tractor(L4240 HSTC+FEL) with loaded R1's and my son has a(new) 16' Big Tex ,7000lb .landscape type trailer.
Will it physically fit(with-out implements) yes;is it a safe pull no;(gross load is same as yours 5,060 lbs.) and estimate the tractor weights 7,000 lbs.
Again;didn't mean to offend,just trying for us all to be safe.

Again congrats on your new tractor;didn't mean to ruffle any feathers about your trailer.I have a very similar tractor(L4240 HSTC+FEL) with loaded R1's and my son has a(new) 16' Big Tex ,7000lb .landscape type trailer.
Will it physically fit(with-out implements) yes;is it a safe pull no;(gross load is same as yours 5,060 lbs.) and estimate the tractor weights 7,000 lbs.
Again;didn't mean to offend,just trying for us all to be safe.

No sir, no offense taken at all and no feathers ruffled. Just using you as an example. Your statement was not that strong as what I was referring to as what is commonly seen people making.....and your comments are thoughtful and intelligent......anyway...again...no worries....just using this as an example.

It did pull fine though. Felt very safe, but no way would I go very far pulling heavy equipment on a marginal light trailer. I can rent a trailer for 30 bucks about a mile away from here if I ever had to go long distance with 7K axles....I would buy a new heavier trailer if I was to tow often. But the primary thing I tow often are ATVs and Lawn equipment and this trailer is perfect for that equipment. As a matter of fact I had a very nice and expensive tilt 20 foot bumper trailer that would haul my big tractor but I traded it back in after 1 day with it realizing that most of my use is for small light equipment and I didn't need such a large heavy duty trailer for 95% of my hauling needs.

/ Well Guys, Trading This Week - Downsizing M6800 to L5740 #39  
Congratulations on your l5740. I think everyone that has to deal with a dpf is envious. If i could have found one, thats what i'd be running. I think that 12' mower is the perfect size. I cut 16 bumpy acres of industrial lots at 3.5" with a 90 inch mower at 8-10 mph with an l6060 and i wish i had a 12' batwing so i could slow down a little. I would even take a 15'. Even in spring when the grass ends up 18" tall i cant put that tractor under a real load. Just take a grinder to the blades a few times a year and you're set. Sharp blades make a world of difference.

Congratulations on your l5740. I think everyone that has to deal with a dpf is envious. If i could have found one, thats what i'd be running. I think that 12' mower is the perfect size. I cut 16 bumpy acres of industrial lots at 3.5" with a 90 inch mower at 8-10 mph with an l6060 and i wish i had a 12' batwing so i could slow down a little. I would even take a 15'. Even in spring when the grass ends up 18" tall i cant put that tractor under a real load. Just take a grinder to the blades a few times a year and you're set. Sharp blades make a world of difference.

Thanks....have been dealing with a DPF since 2009 on my duramax.....I don't know why I haven't cut that thing off yet...I really should...my truck is out there idling right now and DPF's hate that....but that was one of the criteria in my search was no DPF.....Then I found this 2013 with 320 hours....and I think I saved quite a bit over new......but it was kept outside int he sun and has some faded paint a little on the roof....I buffed and waxed it and it really shines but it still has different colors of orange......when I finally get it covered in dust and dirt it will all be good....

I sure hope my itch is finally scratched with this thing....been wanting one for a long time.