Well… that was stupid…

/ Well… that was stupid… #71  
Good grief! And swollen. I don't know if it would have helped but I keep lots of hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin handy and bandage well.

/ Well… that was stupid… #72  
Good grief! And swollen. I don't know if it would have helped but I keep lots of hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin handy and bandage well.
I did that the day after when it started feeling funny, but I kind of doubt it would have made much difference had I done it immediately in this oddball case.
I don't even remember doing it I just know which day it was

/ Well… that was stupid… #73  
I recently retired from a rewarding driving career… the most memorable being the last 25 years as a mixer jockey (concrete truck driver)…

Getting ready for retirement I spent considerable time researching “How not to get bored”… especially during the typically frigid Montana winters (not necessarily this year)… one suggestion i found, which stuck in my head, was to become “ruthlessly organized”… I jumped in with both feet, purchasing numerous black-and-yellow totes for all the random stuff in the garage… I wanted to get that stuff off my workbench/waist-level shelves/floor… I also purchased lumber to make shelves for the wasted space over my garage door…

so far so good, eh? well here comes STUPID…

As I was ripping a 2x4 on my somewhat antiquated table saw (read no safety guards whatsoever … you can see where this is going…) I managed, somehow, to get a finger where it didn’t belong… Julie was kind enough to drive me to the ER as I tried my best to keep from fainting…

Fast forward to the next day, in the surgical center, where the doc was hoping to reattach the severed tendon and nerves… and my luck continued to deteriorate… the damage was so extensive, I had the choice of a rigid, basically useless finger with no sensation or amputation… what a choice…

Getting back into the garage today, to begin cleaning up the mess I so abruptly left behind two days ago, I was greeted by the Ryobi… which, in my mind, had taken on a cartoonish, evil grin… two days ago I had already decided to sell the offending contraption… then, as I looked at my bandaged hand and contemplated life with a “stump”, I had an epiphany… I couldn’t, in good conscious, place Another DIY’er in harms way… it was past time for Ryobi’s retirement…

I’ve already come to the realization the table saw is just an inanimate object performing exactly as it was designed…that it was my own irresponsible behavior which caused my plight…

once things are healed, I’ll spend considerable, quality time in my garage… this time, disassembling the saw… nut-by-nut, bolt-by-bolt until it’s a harmless pile of recyclable pieces… unable to inflict any more damage…

…I might even get some resolution out of my stupidity…
Well, ultimate goal was to entertain yourself.
Mission completed :ROFLMAO:

We here have those jokes about guys from sawmills at bars ordering beers :ROFLMAO:

~~~~~~~~

Sorry man ;)

/ Well… that was stupid… #74  
Tiny cut on my middle finger knuckle you can kind of see in the first pic. Got it working in the shop just like the other half dozen small cuts I have on my hands at any given time over the last couple decades.
Geez... glad you're okay. My wife sometimes harasses me about stuff like this, as probably like most of you, I have a half dozen similar scrapes or cuts at any time from various workshop and wood splitting activities. Never time to stop and wash it out properly, I usually just stick the scraped knuckle in my mouth to clean, which is probably the worst thing one can do. 🤪

/ Well… that was stupid… #75  
For all the stupid things I have done over the last 73 years, I'm amazed I still have all of all my fingers. Banged a couple up pretty well a few times, but never broke one and they are all there and still work properly.
I had never broken a bone until 2019 (pinky toes on doors don't count). My left hand met a malfunctioning freight elevator door. Ouch! 😝

/ Well… that was stupid… #76  
Many years ago I cut the end off of my left hand little finger. I was using 120v hedge clippers, holding a branch back and felt a tickle. At the hospital a surgeon reattached it, it wasn't completely severed. It doesn't look that bad.View attachment 842406View attachment 842407
I did the same thing, only one small bit of finger with one side of nerve was still attached.
Other nerve, bone etc clean cut. That wasn't fun

/ Well… that was stupid… #77  
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a SawStop panel saw when I get tools for my new shop. I've heard of lots of accidents involving table saws between people I know personally and stories like this one. My FIL has put his finger in his 3 times in the last 8 or so years. Luckily no lasting damage any of the 3 times. Most of the injuries are to experienced people, scary.

/ Well… that was stupid… #78  
I recently retired from a rewarding driving career… the most memorable being the last 25 years as a mixer jockey (concrete truck driver)…

Getting ready for retirement I spent considerable time researching “How not to get bored”… especially during the typically frigid Montana winters (not necessarily this year)… one suggestion i found, which stuck in my head, was to become “ruthlessly organized”… I jumped in with both feet, purchasing numerous black-and-yellow totes for all the random stuff in the garage… I wanted to get that stuff off my workbench/waist-level shelves/floor… I also purchased lumber to make shelves for the wasted space over my garage door…

so far so good, eh? well here comes STUPID…

As I was ripping a 2x4 on my somewhat antiquated table saw (read no safety guards whatsoever … you can see where this is going…) I managed, somehow, to get a finger where it didn’t belong… Julie was kind enough to drive me to the ER as I tried my best to keep from fainting…

Fast forward to the next day, in the surgical center, where the doc was hoping to reattach the severed tendon and nerves… and my luck continued to deteriorate… the damage was so extensive, I had the choice of a rigid, basically useless finger with no sensation or amputation… what a choice…

Getting back into the garage today, to begin cleaning up the mess I so abruptly left behind two days ago, I was greeted by the Ryobi… which, in my mind, had taken on a cartoonish, evil grin… two days ago I had already decided to sell the offending contraption… then, as I looked at my bandaged hand and contemplated life with a “stump”, I had an epiphany… I couldn’t, in good conscious, place Another DIY’er in harms way… it was past time for Ryobi’s retirement…

I’ve already come to the realization the table saw is just an inanimate object performing exactly as it was designed…that it was my own irresponsible behavior which caused my plight…

once things are healed, I’ll spend considerable, quality time in my garage… this time, disassembling the saw… nut-by-nut, bolt-by-bolt until it’s a harmless pile of recyclable pieces… unable to inflict any more damage…

…I might even get some resolution out of my stupidity…

Lesson learned. It's cheaper to buy or rent new equipment than to pay the hospital bills and live with an injury.

/ Well… that was stupid…
…Most of the injuries are to experienced people, scary…
The two large companies I drove mixer for (Lafarge and Martin Marietta) had very comprehensive safety programs… one item both stressed was the “accident likelihood envelope”… which included new operators (1 to 3 years experience… no surprise there) and veteran drivers (over 20 years)…

complacency in any endeavor is not your friend…

/ Well… that was stupid… #80  
Thanks for sharing. What I am really afraid of is the band saw. I will not buy one because I am afraid of forgetting and lopping a finger off. So much for fine woodworking!