Welding with a battery charger????

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Got a gift of a magnatek 40amp converter charger but dont really have a need for it. Since a buddy of mine has been trying to stick weld some very thin stainless with my borrowed tombstone, which only goes down to 35 amps, and seems to burn more holes than weld. I got to thinking why not try the charger as a small stick welder. Since building welders doesnt seem to be in my range of talents, I thought I would just ask if it would be possible/practicle to even make a stick welder using a batter charger. First, the charger is 12v 40 amp output so I dont know if the volts would allow it to work, even on a small scale. Second, I also have a old adjustable voltage charger that goes from 1.5v to 24v laying around that might make a better welding machine, but I aint sure of output amps. This charger was built to charge large, multiple, single cell lead acid batteries in a back up power supply.

Now i know everyone is going to say just tig it, but my buddy doesnt own a tig welder and I aint carrying mine back and forth to his shop, so tig'ing isnt an option. He is only building art work using stainless, not making something that requires serious professional welding that could kill someone if the welds fail. I also suspect once this project is done, the welder most likely will lay around and collect dust, so just buying a welder for this project just doesnt make sense. We already considered silver solder, but the cost of the solder sort of puts it out of his price range. So while I am open to suggestions as to other options to complete the welding job being done, I really just want to know if its possible to convert either one of the battery chargers I already own, into a small stick welding machine.

/ Welding with a battery charger????
Got to doing a little looking at cheap 110v welders and ran across this machine, Inverter Arc Welder - 80 Amp. Seemed to have pretty good feed back, goes down to 10 amps, has arcforce, and with all the coupons they send me every wk, should be able to get it for around $120-130 bucks. Might be a smarter move than trying to convert a battery charger to a welder. Might look a little weird setting next to my blue and red machines in the shop, but who cares if it works. I would like to hear from those folks that have used one of those little machines.

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #3  
When it comes to welders people want to see you spent a lot of money, they really couldn't care less about a really cheap way to weld. Especially when its so unlikely to work. ;-) You have to start with pics of it working, so then they can critique every weld as if 400 lives depend on it.

Regarding your current project, I cant really see what is the goal, personally I'd recommend JB Weld......

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #4  
If you want my opinion, the Harbor Freight welder, would be a Heck of a lot better than fooling around with the battery charger. For one thing the 60 OCV will actually allow you to strike and sustain an arc. So Yes, while probably not a great welding machine, it is at least a welding machine, and a far cry from fooling around with the charger. Get it and some good quality stainless rods and give it a try.

Of course I would TIG it..:D I realize you don't want to put a ton of money in some one of project.. so yes try the cheap way and see if that works.
James K0UA

When it comes to welders people want to see you spent a lot of money, they really couldn't care less about a really cheap way to weld. Especially when its so unlikely to work. ;-) You have to start with pics of it working, so then they can critique every weld as if 400 lives depend on it.

Regarding your current project, I cant really see what is the goal, personally I'd recommend JB Weld......

I have a lot of money in my welders already, but this project is a friends and at his house not at my shop. My friend is 68yrs old, a retired boilermaker that used to do 100% xray welding on gas storage tanks. He used to have all kinds of equipment, but with age, hes sort of sold off everything, I bought his tig rig. I offered to let him bring the project to my shop, but his project is a little big to transport and I kind of need my welder at home, so we are just looking at alternatives. JB weld dont polish up like stainless.

K0ua, appreciate the opinion and is sort of the way I am leaning. Most of those 110v welders that I have seen are AC. I think the decision is pretty easy once i found a dc machine. Reviews are good for that machine and I might pick one up this wk. Would like to actually see one in action before I buy.

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #6  
If that charger's transformer is center tap output it is possible to get 24 or more volts from the windings.
Welding is possible at 24 volts, not super easy but can do.
I have a handy little welder home made from a 24 volt 25 amp industrial transformer.
It likes 1/16" rods and is fine for thick 'tin'. Bit tricky to use but sticks things together.

I remember growing up, dad made a AC welder out of a tranformer from a power pole. I think it had like 3 setting, hot, hotter, and burn thru anything.

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #8  
I do appreciate a challenge though…..:cool:

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #9  
Sometimes its not what you NEED ... its what you WANT !!! I have a Miller 252 MIG. Would not be without it. Makes me look like a pro and has infinite settings. Costs a few bucks but come sale time they fetch great resale value. My wife doesn't know Snap On from Harbor Freight ..... so I get the good stuff !! With the dollar being worth next to nothing I plan to invest rather than get .25% interest.

/ Welding with a battery charger???? #10  
When it comes to welders people want to see you spent a lot of money, they really couldn't care less about a really cheap way to weld.

Sodo, your statement is sooo correct. :mur:

muddstopper, that little breadbox size welder might just work out perfect for your project. There's been a few times over the years that I've thought about buying one myself because of all the great reviews. I've always thought it would be handy to have one around for small projects.
Unfortunately though, I think their 25% off coupons state that they can't be used for welders, along with air compressors, tool cabinets, and maybe some other items. The flip side is that Harbor Freight is very good about giving your money back, if you aren't satisfied. So you could try it out and see if you like it. Just be sure and hang on to your receipt.

I don't know about battery chargers used as welders, but have heard about using car batteries to weld with. I don't know how car batteries could be used to weld something thin, though. Mucho amperage. :eek: