Welding virgin needs direction ...

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
Never welded before. Complete welding idiot here ...

I'd like to be able to weld up tractor implements/ attachments, up to 1/4" steel I guess. Can this be done with 110V power? Or 220V? Is MIG what I should be looking into? Is it OK to buy the recommended welder at Home Depot/ Lowe's?

I'd only be welding probably a few times a year at best.

Thank you

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #2  
I would strongly recommend you find someone that knows how to weld to show you the ropes. The other option is to take a class.

As far as equipment, I would get a name brand welder, 240v.

E/S

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #3  
I prefer 220 volt. I have a Miller stick welder and MIG machine. MIG works better on thinner metals for me, stick gets better penetration on thicker metals in my opinion. Just a hobby for me, there are some excellent fabricators/welders on this site and will have good recommendations for you.

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #4  
tractor implements/ attachments, up to 1/4" steel

With frequency of use you state it may be best to just hire it out!:D

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #5  
With frequency of use you state it may be best to just hire it out!:D

There is a lot of wisdom in that statement. :drink:

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #6  
There is a lot of wisdom in that statement. :drink:

I disagree, I have owned a Lincoln 225 for about 15 years, on average I use it about 2 or 3 times per month. BUT I have repaired countless things and the welder has paid for itself many many times over. I just got an Everlast 160, tonite and it is still in the box. Will let you all know how it goes. I might have a Lincoln for sale pretty soon:laughing: In my "opinion" every one that owns any machinery of any kind or wants to build anything in steel needs a welder. My 2.5 cents
James K0UA

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #7  
Take a class at a votech place or comm. collage,you can't really even begin to talk about welding unless you've at least made a few sparks or something.

As far as machines,since you asked,I'd get me a welder generator stick welder dc one,miller makes a nice little machine,migs are fine for sheet metal.

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #8  
220v stick will weld tractor implements real nice, and cost less. Used buzzboxes go for a couple hundred and have plenty of power for the average farm repairs. Little 110v migs are portable and handy but are a little weak for 1/4" farm equipment. Mig costs start going up at the 220v 175 amp power range. If money is no object I would suggest a 250 amp Mig of your choice.

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #9  
"Complete welding idiot here ..."
You can't be,for your showing interest w/out chip on your shoulder.

If you have time sign up for class,just may peak your interest further..migs,torches, etc.,or get to know someone teach you quick hands on.

/ Welding virgin needs direction ... #10  
My choice for welding repairs and light fab work would be AC/DC Stick Welder....many varieties of electrodes are avail at welding/big box stores for DIY work.....

The problem will be you'll like welding so much you'll be looking for projects to make once you get the hang of it.....it's addictive:thumbsup:

One tip that helped me thirty-odd years ago was watching someone else while they are welding (using another shield of course!!) and having them explain in real time when it's happening and what to expect.....

Most people use MIG cuz it's easier to see the puddle, and that has it's benefits, but for repair work strength and versatility is more important to me...Goodluck:)