Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I've been meaning to weld on a reciever hitch onto the front of my trailer to mount a winch. Had the winch for a while, but havent had need of it. Ended up chaining the winch cradle to the D-rings on either side to load up my buddies broken down SUV tonight, which worked well enough.

The chunk of steel up front is 3/16". I was planning on cutting a square in the front panel & welding in a reciever or 2" ID square I scrounge up. Trying to figure out how much & or if I should try & get some other bracing on there. Briefly considered just cutting a hole in the panel then securing the tube with a foot long hitch pin or is on the back if the plate. But thinking that would be to prone to tearing.

12,00lbs rated winch, but dont expect that much load. Moderately steep at 20-25 degrees when the tilting deck is tilted, but most of what I expect to be pulling onto the trailer will be rolling & going straight on.

I'd normally just give it a shot & re-weld if it broke. But my welding skill isn't great & I dont want to tear up parts on mypretty new trailer. 20180806_193323.jpeg20180806_193238.jpeg20180806_193221.jpeg20180806_193217.jpeg

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #2  
wouldn't want to shade that solar panel!

That's the trouble with new stuff, you can't do anything with it lest the shiny get's mussed up.

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #3  
I think I would put a heavy gauge piece of angle across the while length on the front. I’d be afraid of the rail bending by itself. Over building doesn’t hurt anything.

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer
wouldn't want to shade that solar panel!

That's the trouble with new stuff, you can't do anything with it lest the shiny get's mussed up.
I hear that. No worries about bailing wire, ducktape & bubblegum welds holding my old impliments together. I can't make them look much worse. Can't scratch it paralasys on the Kubota & trailer.

Happy with that panel though. It charges the battery enough for a handful of tilts a week easily without plugging it in to charge. Did drill holes to mount the panel though.

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #5  
I hear that. No worries about bailing wire, ducktape & bubblegum welds holding my old impliments together. I can't make them look much worse. Can't scratch it paralasys on the Kubota & trailer.

Happy with that panel though. It charges the battery enough for a handful of tilts a week easily without plugging it in to charge. Did drill holes to mount the panel though.

:),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #6  
I wouldn't want to weld on that new trailer either. I would fab up whatever it takes to be solid and bolt it on the front rail and the bed ahead of the front rail. May have to move the tire ahead somewhat. Are you going to use another battery for the winch or the existing battery? If using existing battery your battery cables will have to be long enough to go with the winch as you tip the trailer bed. Post pictures of final install.
Al

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #7  
could you take a 2in reciever like we used to bolt under the rear bumper of a pickup flip it upside down and bolt it through the decking and metal brace under your deck?

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #8  
How about a flip up gooseneck connector? (Or of that style or train of thought)

Then make a plate with a hole that drops over it.

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #9  
Have you checked how the metal across the front is welded to the trailer itself? If it is only support across the front of a tilt bed I know I would reinforce it.

/ Welding up a receiver for a winch on a trailer #10  
Maybe weld it to the the front piece and also a plate that you bolt through the deck boards and into the c channel below.