Welding Table?

/ Welding Table? #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Welding table?... Considering 2x3 table as advertised in link below also getting leg kit for it.... Want small table as not a lot of room in shop and projects are usually small, may also double as a work table to support projects like lawnmower repairs and such....

Anybody have one, have a opinion?...

PRO Series Welding Table Tops – WeldTables.com

Dale

/ Welding Table? #2  
Sign up for their email blasts. If you are patient they will have deals- free shipping or money off etc. If you don’t mind waiting that is! Haha.

Most stuff is built on a chunk of flat steel- both homeowner and professionals. For the price you are paying I’d buy some 3/8 or 1/2” and make the legs yourself. If you need a few holes to jig something very specific just drill it. But 99.9% of the things a homeowner makes can just be tacked to the table- jig and or part.
The jig table would be nice for building 100 motorcycle frames or something but I don’t think I could monetize it.

/ Welding Table? #3  
My table is 2x3 and has a thick top and a vice, perfect size that’s small.

/ Welding Table? #4  
Are you a fabricator and wanting to "jig" patterns on this table? If so go for it. If not don't.

I bought my table top off Craigslist. 1/2" steel plate.

/ Welding Table? #5  
I misquoted. My table top is 3/4"x60"x34". I paid $230.

/ Welding Table? #6  
I have two tables sort of suitable for welding.

One is a 1/2in 2ft by 4ft steel plate I slapped on an old Craftsman tool chest that I rescued from the recycle bin. Fixed the bent drawer slides and added casters.

IMG_9493.jpg

Since that is always cluttered, I bought a 4ft by 8ft steel table at a Boeing auction that was rusted bad. Legs needed chopped off due to water that froze and blew out the bottom tubes. I made some 'boots' with casters and added another 1/4in plate on top. Picture of boots in my wife's oven post baking the paint. She wasn't amused to put it mildly.

IMG_9872.jpg IMG_9870.jpg

I wouldn't mind a proper table with holes for dogs/clamps though! Some nice ones out there but they are pricey.

/ Welding Table? #7  
My welding and plasma cutting projects are not numerous so I can't justify a large spot in the shop that already has a truck, tractor, UTV and lots of tools and project storage space used. So I use two small portable welding tables with two platforms I made that works great for clamping, allowing plasma fodder to blow through the slats and allowing a lot of free space attaching options.

Pic is during construction. I subsequently cut it in half across its width as it is just too heavy to manhandle these days. I built it on the saw horses, moved it to test strength by supporting ends and placing 725# ROBB across its middle. The platform supported the ROBB fine but I was unable to lift it back onto the stands...

_EM52266.JPG

/ Welding Table? #8  
why not just make you 1. good experience. made mine after just learning the basics of welding. 2ftx3ftx3/i6 for the top and some 1 inch angle iron for the legs and frame. easy to slide around also. made it some 20 years ago still using it today and i have not needed to repair it at all. lots of farm repair done on it. used mostly 6011 and 6013 welding rods and some nickle rods over the years. need a lot of clamps.

/ Welding Table? #9  
I made this 2' X 3' table with fold down vise as a 1st real welding project. I use it a lot - as a welding table and work cart. Nice and portable. Has a 1/4" top so maybe not an official welding table but it is what I have so I use it for every thing. Even fairly big stuff.

Cart7a.JPG

DozerGuard6A.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Welding Table? #10  
Look at local auctions. I’ve bought all but three of our welding tables that way and they are usually giving them away because they would have to pay a rigger to get rid of them and I always see small nicely built benches at the auctions. Large companies always have a maintenance department but a welding shop is better

Two of them are 60” x 144” that I got for $150 with 3/4” top plate