Welding Rods

/ Welding Rods #11  
I keep a small toaster oven in the shop.no not the 4 slice type..lmao..the type that has a glass ft door,and adjustable settings.just pop rods in and set temp..good luck..Sid

/ Welding Rods #12  
Great idea! TBN braintrust comes through again. My wife wants a new one for the kitchen anyway.

/ Welding Rods #13  
How about the wire on the mig welders. Do you have to keep them dry too. I was at the end of my spool the other day and tack welded a nut to a plate with my mig and later hammered it off and the metal in the weld puddle was very pourous and appeared soft.

I certinally didn't give this tack a lot of heat, so that may be the cause of the poor weld.

thanks
gary

/ Welding Rods #14  
oh boy yes all welding wire needs to be dry. now on your the bad mig wire joints is this flux core ? 110 v . as far as arc welding goes agreat begginer and all purpose stick rod.

/ Welding Rods #15  
How about one of these bad boys selling at eBay oven I'm thinking about getting one for myself. I have seen a few dented ones starting at less than 20 bucks each which ain't too bad. Heck around here dents get added real fast anyway.....

/ Welding Rods #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about the wire on the mig welders. Do you have to keep them dry too. )</font>
Generally a good idea - otherwise the wire corrodes (even though it's coated.) If I'm not going to welding for awhile I usually will pull the spool and bring it in the house (welder is in a mostly unheated garage) Having said that, I have heated up the garage in winter when it was very wet out and had condensation form on the wire while the spool was in the machine. Other than having to jack up the pressure on the drive rolls to avoid slippage it wasn't a problem.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was at the end of my spool the other day and tack welded a nut to a plate with my mig and later hammered it off and the metal in the weld puddle was very pourous and appeared soft. )</font>
If it was MIG check to make sure you had your shielding gas turned on. If it was on, was there anything you were doing as far as holding the gun at an odd angle so the shield was being blown off ?