Welding Rods

/ Welding Rods #1  

ktctest6

Tractor
John Deere 790
I know all you folks have fancy MIG welders - but, I took a welding class at my local high school this last fall and I learned to weld using a Lincoln AC-225 so that's what I asked Santa for - and that's what he brought. I'm very happy!!!

What's the best way to keep my small supply of 6011 and 6013 rods dry? The sample rods that came with the machine would hardly strike an arc. I went to TSC and bought a pound of 6011 rods and they worked great. I also bought the "Weld-it" orange storage case - but is there anything else I can fo to "keep my powder dry"?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

/ Welding Rods #2  
ktctest6,

I've used an old frig with a light bulb installed to keep it warm and dry inside. When I use the tubes I place a desicant package in with the rods and seal the cap tight. You can find them at farm stores or sporting goods and gun shops.

You'll find plenty of use for that welder /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Enjoy,
Michael

/ Welding Rods #3  
I went to a friends house and he put his on top of the wood stove to dry them out in the winter time when he was welding.I know this doesn't help out in the summer time.

/ Welding Rods #4  
I use an old upright freezer with a twenty five watt rough service or appliance bulb. It keeps not only four hundred or so pounds of rod dry it also keeps mig wire, case hardening compound, etc ready for use.

For your A/C machine I suggest you go to your welding supply for some rod. Fifty pounds of 6013 will sometimes go for forty bucks or there a bouts. The same for 6011. Compare that to what you're paying by the pound at HD or TSC.

You can also at the welding supply find some 7018A/C. That's 7018 rod that will weld with your machine. It's the only dawg to hunt with when gluing together high carbon steel. It's also known as the poor man's hardfacing rod.

Welding is a hazardous activity. The fumes are deadly. That's the fumes from welding itself and the fumes from the stuff covering what's being welded. You are also working with things that are hot. Hot enough to burn through the skin into the meat, stinks when that happens. And probably the least talked about is the positions you get your body into and that you hold while making a pass or two.

That said, welcome to my world. I wouldn't really want to change it for another. I don't care how long you've been welding you still find yourself learning and improving daily. One of our highs as a human being is that feeling that thrills clean clear through when we accomplish something. Welding is a world of accomplishment on many different levels.

/ Welding Rods #5  
One thing you can do to try and keep them dry is to store them inside a cabinet or closet or wherever you have your hot water heater this may sound a little strange but I don't weld everyday so i've got mine in their little case, lid tight, right slap on top of my water heater. I figure there's not enough heat on the top to be a fire hazard and with the off and on of the burner it's about as low humidity place as there is around the house. I suppose a shelf in the closet would be better but if I can comfortably lay my hand on top I'm not worried about fire. I've also baked them in the wifes oven when I thought they were damp and I did'nt have any others.The pros have dedicated equipment but like I said I don't weld that often.

/ Welding Rods #6  
Follow the rod storage instructions from the maker of your rod. There are major differences between the different rod types as well as differences between the same rod type from different manufacturers. The extremes are 6011 and 7018, these rods should not be stored together.

The Low Hydrogen rod (e.g. 7018) is very sensitive to water contamination. Any water adds hydrogen to the weld, a bad thing. Low hydrogen rod should be stored at high temperature (220 to 350 degrees F). Each rod maker has a slightly different procedure to dry damp rod. http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c210.pdf page 50. Hobart 18AC is dried by baking one hour at 575 degrees F. Lincoln E7018 is dried for one hour at between 650 and 750 degrees F. The Lincoln catalog states that drying at a lower temperature for a longer time will not work.

The cellulose coated rod (e.g. 6011) must have moisture to work properly. 6011 is stored at a lower temperature. Hobart recommends a humidity above 50% (yes above) and room temperature storage (with a stipulation that at no time should storage be above 130 degrees F). [/url]http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/products/hobart/Hobart335A.pdf[/url]. Lincoln recommends storage at between 100 and 120 Degrees F for their 6011 rod. Lincoln and Hobart recommend that 6011 not be baked to dry.

Lincoln has a storage overview white paper available online http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c210.pdf on pages 50 and 51.

A light bulb in a box or old refrigerator works well for 6011 but an oven which will maintain 300 F is needed for 7018.

/ Welding Rods #7  
Couple options; Depending on how much your wife uses the oven, it can be a convenient place to store welding rods, HOWEVER, wives can get a bit snotty about removing 300# of rod so they can bake something.
Second option is a used microwave oven from Curbside Supply. Add a small heater inside the cabinet to keep moisture out, and you've got it knocked. It's a cheap option, and large enough for most people.

/ Welding Rods
Thanks to all of you who have responded. I don't have any 7018 rods yet so I'm going to try the desicant tip first. Since I have the rod storage case - that should be my easiest fix.

I really appreciate all the advice and also the reference material from Lincoln and Hobart. You guys are great!

Jim Miller

/ Welding Rods #9  
Jim,You might want to consider 7014 for bench work and general repairs.It has its limitations but, I've found it to be pretty idiot proof........Mike

/ Welding Rods #10  
Like the man said, you should try the 7018A/C, you can run the plain 7018, with your welder, but it will stick real easy and be hard to run. The A/C is a lot easier, it will be a lot easier on a beginer. I say that, as to me you are, I have years of it behind me. Retired now so it can stay behind, at least most of the time, unless I need to do it, sometimes.