welding rod

/ welding rod #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I had to buy some 1/8 in. 6011 arc welding rod today as I haven't bought any in years to finish up a project. I couldn't believe how much it cost , $11.00 for 5 pounds, is this what this rod now cost or did get taken?

/ welding rod #2  
It is currently about the same here in northern Indiana... about $10.00 for no-name and $15.00 for Lincoln.:(

/ welding rod #3  
If you really want a shock, go price some steel...

I think $2 per pound is about the price for common welding rod around here too...:eek:

/ welding rod
Your right about the steel as I just bought some of that too,thanks guys, as my wife always says you just don't keep up with the times, maybe I'd be better off if I didn't.

Herb,

/ welding rod #5  
Has anyone bit on this ebay listing?

44 lbs E6013 WELDING RODS ELECTRODES 3/32" - FREE SHIP. Total cost $49.50 for 44 lbs, delivered.

Monkey King brand.

I wonder if that is the stuff used in sweatshops all over Asia. This guy is in Silicon Valley (California) where many people have close ties to suppliers in China.

He advertises free USPS shipping which isn't rational - if he got an order from Florida it would cost $80+ to mail it there.

Has anyone ever actually seen this brand of rod?

No, I'm not planning to buy some.

/ welding rod #6  
Henro said:
If you really want a shock,...

Price a 10 pound can of 408 stainless rods! :eek: I've been doing quite a bit of stainless work lately and I can't figure out which is the least expensive, buying a spool of 408 wire for my MIG with the tri-mix gas (honestly, the gas isn't much more than 75/25) or using my TIG. I hate the 4' long filler rods as far as working with them, but they are cheaper that way. I'm afraid if I cut them I'll end up with more waste. I've just come to the conclusion that welding stainless any way is expensive. Heck, aluminum with the TIG is cheap compared to doing stainless! :eek:

/ welding rod #7  
Dargo, call me cheap or whatever you will but as I TIG with my specialty (expensive) rods, I just weld my new rod to the old stub and keep going.

You can also just buy the Mig Wire, cut off convienient lengths to work with, put one end in a vise, grab the other end with the wire twister pliers (lockwire pliers) and give it a spin and it will straighten the wire out and make it easier to handle.

/ welding rod #8  
California said:
Has anyone bit on this ebay listing?

44 lbs E6013 WELDING RODS ELECTRODES 3/32" - FREE SHIP. Total cost $49.50 for 44 lbs, delivered.

Monkey King brand.

I wonder if that is the stuff used in sweatshops all over Asia. This guy is in Silicon Valley (California) where many people have close ties to suppliers in China.

He advertises free USPS shipping which isn't rational - if he got an order from Florida it would cost $80+ to mail it there.

Has anyone ever actually seen this brand of rod?

No, I'm not planning to buy some.

Ever heard of Monkey King brand. Nope, can't say I have.

Shipping welding rods via USPS would not be expensive. You could fit 45 pounds in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. Those box's are one flat fee for up to 70 pounds.

/ welding rod #9  
DieselPower said:
Ever heard of Monkey King brand. Nope, can't say I have.

Shipping welding rods via USPS would not be expensive. You could fit 45 pounds in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. Those box's are one flat fee for up to 70 pounds.
I forgot about those flat rate boxes. That might work.

I did a little research and that brand appears on alibaba.com, a China export specialty site. (and apparently the source for some of Harbor Freight' stuff.)

The same firm makes Ship King rod. They advertise they have capacity to take orders for boxcar quantities. FOB factory price was under $500/ton if I recall correctly. It's interesting to watch industrial China evolve.