welding machine

/ welding machine #11  
I have a stick AC-DC & a 145 amp mig gas unit. I have used the mig with flux core wire but hated the spatter so gas was the cleanest. Lately I have forced myself to weld with stick
so I can master it the best my machine can weld. No tig experience but love the quality of their welds. I think your 1st decision is what is your true $ budget for this machine.
Now find out what you can buy on this budget that will do the weld jobs you want. If you live in an area that power goes out often & you don't own a generator I'd look at a stick unit that has a nice 10K generator with it. If you don't have free time to take welding classes then pick up a good how to learn welding book & read it twice over. Practice,Practice
& practice some more. The newest electronic helments do help
you see your starts easier & seem to make my welding jobs just a little more fun.

Treesawer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ welding machine #12  
Do you lend your 'tools' out? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ welding machine #13  
DavidS,

I have a set of 40cf oxy/act torches and a Hobart AC Stickmate. With a 115volt MIG you will have to bevel your thicker 1/4 inch thick metal to get acceptable penetration. With a stick welder, good penetration is easy obtained by extra heat a 220volt stick welder provides. The pix of my recently made tractor grill is a 7014 elecrode at 120amps. Tought to tell if it is MIG or stick.

Attachments

• 298369-weld5.JPG
    298369-weld5.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 266
   / welding machine #14  
hobart handler 175 if cost is a factor.go millermatic 175 if you want the cats meow.try cyberweld.com.these are two great machines if you go mig.jmho.bws

/ welding machine #15  
I have a Millermatic 175 and just recently used it to build a heavy duty landscape rake. No problems with penetration. It beats my 250 amp stick welder hands down.

/ welding machine #16  
<font color="blue"> (Go with a) Hobart Handler 175 if cost is a factor. Go (with the) Millermatic 175 if you want the cats meow </font>

What are the differences in cost and in features/benefits? Isn't Hobart now owned by Miller?

/ welding machine #17  
According to the experts over on the Hobart/Miller discussion boards:

1. Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company and the manufacturing line for both models are side by side.

2. the MM 175 is designed for the more experienced welder and has a finer voltage control via a knob setting. The HH 175 has fixed tapped voltage settings and is designed for the home hobbiest. Difference in price should be around $100 or so.

Hobart/Miller welding boards

/ welding machine #18  
I got a Miller 250X mig welder new on ebay for about $1300. This machine will weld 22 gauge or 1/2" in single pass. It makes beautiful, safe welds. This is a lot of cash, but the price included shipping and no sales tax.

This machine is made for a 50 amp 240 volt circuit. I made an adapter for my dryer plug. This works well. A few times while welding 3/8 for long periods the breaker has tripped.

Overall, my suggestion is 1: don't waste you money on an economy 120 VAC machine. Stick or MIG, go with 240 Volt. 2: Miller is a top brand with nozzel parts available in almost all cities. 3: Gas MIG makes fine welds that don't need flux chipping and cleaning. The gas cylinder lasts a long long time. 4. If you do get a full size MIG get a full size bottle. 5. A full size machine has better resale value.

Once you have the machine your uses will increase.