Welding Helmet Fogs up

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Help! I am a very new welder. I fact I have welded all of bout 10 minutes so far. I have a very patient friend who is doing his best to teach me some technique but I am reallty struggling with the welding helmet. I like the full face coverage but, I have a large, bushy beard (which my wife says can't be cut because she saw the pictures from 30+ years ago and that was enough /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif) and unless I hold my breath (not too practical) the lens fogs up after a minute or so. I am still not used to trying to see through the very dark glass and the extra coverage from my exhaled breath really compounds the problem. I am really excited at the prospect of learning this new skill and would welcome any suggestions that could help me see what the heck I am doing.

Thanks
Bob

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #2  
Bob, it's a little like scuba diving... just breath as normal as possible, deep, but slowly.
And maybe a little of the anti fog product on the inside lens.

gary

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #3  
Just get some Fog-X by the makers of rain-X it's an anti-fog product that works. I've used it on the inside of my snowmobile helmet so I'm sure it will work with the welding helmet. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rainx.com/frame_auto_new.htm>http://www.rainx.com/frame_auto_new.htm</A>

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #4  
I have the same problem welding or snowmobiling, the trick is to breathe through your nose NOT your mouth. Hard to controll myself but works for me.

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #5  
I had the same problem, controlling your breathing help but I drilled a few holes in my helmet to exhauts my breath. This helped a lot

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #6  
Try warming the lens up. I keep my helmet were my shop heater blows on it.
Good luck and keep laying the beads down and you'll get better at it.
rick

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #7  
I always have a fan placed in a position that it will keep air moving through the helmet to keep the lense from fogging up and also ventilates the helmet. It's not good to breathe in the fumes.

Don't give up your welding. Welding is an art and it takes time to master.

The key to learning to weld is:

* Practice Practice Practice

* Use the correct filler material for the metal you are welding

* Use the correct technique for the particular piece you are welding

* Use the correct amperage setting

* Get in a comfortable position

* Oh yeah, did I mention to - Practice Practice Practice!

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #8  
I tried some welding helmets, als auto darkening speedglass.... I prefer the handheld mask, also because i got used to hold the face mask with my left hand, while keeping the wrist of my right arm against the welding mask as a guide, when i hold the torch with my right hand.

A mask doenst fog up as quickly as a helmet because there is more space between you and the mask.

I wouldnt recommend drilling holes in a welding helmet, or you'll get red tainted spots on your face after a day of welding...

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #9  
My helmets have an adjustment that will move the mask away from your face. Check to see that you can adjust yours also.

/ Welding Helmet Fogs up #10  
I use an old hair dryer just heat up the glass for about 30 seconds and your good to go.