Welding brass with a TIG

/ Welding brass with a TIG #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
I need to weld a "Y" onto a brass sink drain. Can I do this with the TIG? I know I can solder it but with the TIG can I polish the weld and have "that classic look"? Cabin freezes, so I can't have traps, need a dry break. Also I want to be able to say the cabin has no utilities (dry cabin). In the winter ya need to occasionally dump fluids that you wouldn't want to dump into the sink if ya get my drift,,,,,, (trucker bombs).

454685d1453602499-welding-brass-tig-sink_drain-jpg
454683d1453601597-welding-brass-tig-046224016434-jpg

Here's the brass pipe from Lowes, it's only $5 for 16". Online metals wants $33 for 36". Buying it at Online might be the way to go.

Attachments

• 046224016434.jpg
    046224016434.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 548
  • sink_drain.jpg
    sink_drain.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 532
   / Welding brass with a TIG
So what's it take to TIG brass? Does it behave the same as TiG'n steel? I've heard about getting silicon bronze welding rods. What gas is used?

/ Welding brass with a TIG #3  
It's possible to TIG it but you'd be a lot farther ahead if you brazed it with flux coated bronze filler rod and oxy-acetylene torch. You will have to have a clean fit up (no gaps) and tight butt joint but brazing it will yield a clean look that can be easily buffed out.

Oxy/acet with standard braze rod and the white powder type flux?

/ Welding brass with a TIG #5  
Why not just do it in plastic?

You can buy a wye, or run a street 45, into the side of a "T".

Its all visible. Also the rule: no barcode in this cabin, everything looks 100 years old if possible. Except the RV range & USB charge outlets:thumbsup: & me I'm on the bad side of half that old.

Last edited:
   / Welding brass with a TIG #7  
Sodo, brazing is the way to go. By the time you set up the TIG and get the right technique down you can have it done. That brass tube is pretty thin so high temp alloys will cause distortion. It will accommodate a poor fit up to some extent as you are flowing on top not fusing. I would use BCUP-3 silver solder. Only 5% silver so not too costly. It flows at around 700 degrees so distortion is minimal. You will need flux though. It is good stuff to have in your welding kit for many types of dissimilar metal joining. Copper/brass/bronze to each other and to steel and stainless steel. great with sweat fitting fit ups. Copper to copper you need no flux as the phosphorus content performs that function. I also keep some 50% silver stuff around.

Old Pipefitter Ron

/ Welding brass with a TIG #8  
Sodo, brazing is the way to go. By the time you set up the TIG and get the right technique down you can have it done. That brass tube is pretty thin so high temp alloys will cause distortion. It will accommodate a poor fit up to some extent as you are flowing on top not fusing. I would use BCUP-3 silver solder. Only 5% silver so not too costly. It flows at around 700 degrees so distortion is minimal. You will need flux though. It is good stuff to have in your welding kit for many types of dissimilar metal joining. Copper/brass/bronze to each other and to steel and stainless steel. great with sweat fitting fit ups. Copper to copper you need no flux as the phosphorus content performs that function. I also keep some 50% silver stuff around. If you get over this way I will give you a couple sticks.

Old Pipefitter Ron

/ Welding brass with a TIG #9  
While I have not personally TIG'd any brass, I have TIG'd several pieces of copper, but agree that with the likely poor fitup, brazing sounds like the way to go. The copper I have tig'd went well but you need to move pretty fast. . I suspect brass would be easy enough also.