Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
I don't own a welder, so you welders out there need not look at this tractor roof very closely, unless you want a laugh !

Yes it looks like a Phillippino Jitney Taxi .....but it only cost me $60 and 20 hrs labour this past week.
I normally use my ATV and 60 inch plow for my snow removal, but on those Sunday afternoons when you want to lower the banks at your leisure , I hope to use tractor and wanted a roof and windshield and back window to keep me a bit out of the wind . No side doors contemplated.

Used some leftover 4 inch x 3/4 inch oak baseboards for frames , used a handful of 4 or 5 inch steel angle brackets , bought two sheets of 30 x 32 inch Clear Acrylic at $15 each and used a piece of commercial steel ductwork ( I have lots of ) that I hammered flat to 32 inch x 48 inch. Bolted a 3x3 x 32 inch piece of oak to the ROPS with two quarter inch bolts, and bolted the front windshield lower uprights to the FEL bracket. Where a piece of 3/4 thick wood can fit inside the bracket without the FEL hitting it when raising . So only 1/4 inch bolts need to be removed to lift the whole thing off , for next summer . I Painted with leftover flat black Varathane Exterior paint. Slight glitch occurred , when I realized the hood won't open, but removal of the two front bolts allows me to lift front of windshield up 4 inches while I open hood for any service.

My wife had a good laugh , but then she don't sit on the ATV when plowing in snow storm, So I might as well make the tractor a bit more comfortable and keep the snow off the seat.

My inspiration was the various home made steel welded tractor cabs I drooled over on this website , but then I also saw one made from ABS pipe here too , and the carpenter in me decided hardwood could work too.

So I post here for your humour.

jake

Attachments

• DSCN0655.jpg
    DSCN0655.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 1,509
  • DSCN0656.jpg
    DSCN0656.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 2,570
  • DSCN0657.JPG
    DSCN0657.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 2,128
   / Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #2  
It's not all THAT bad. I bet you'll be laughing this winter when you are not in the direct snow while out plowing. You do what you gotta do. Good job.

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #4  
Looks good to me. I dont see anything wrong with it. It serves a purpose of keeping snow off of you right!!!

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #5  
Looks pretty good to me to, if your a carpenter now you can frame in some double hung windows, that might get a good laugh!
JB.

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #6  
Looks pretty good to me to, if your a carpenter now you can frame in some double hung windows, that might get a good laugh!
JB.
good one! Maybe even fab up some screen doors for the spring and summer to keep the bugs out and still get a nice breeze!!!

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #7  
Looks good Jake. With Wawa in your name you probably need all the shelter you can get. I'll be thinking about that cab next time I'm out eating snow, err.... I mean clearing snow while wearing my ski goggles.

Last edited:
   / Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab
Forget the double hung windows , this is a compact tractor.
So the best wood framed side windows would be the bow or bay window model type, with casements for added elbow room ! With screens for the black flies.

:D

jake (formerly with a Wawa North of Lake Superior connection, now stick North of Lake Huron)

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #9  
I don't own a welder, so you welders out there need not look at this tractor roof very closely, unless you want a laugh !

jake

Hey Jake, I fail to see the humor. I think you've done a great job. I own and use a number of welders however, I will be exposed to the wind while you are in the comfort of your enclosure. Who cares that it's made of wood. Heck, the Wright brothers started the aviation industry with wood and fabric.
Nice job!

/ Welders don't read this one ! Homemade cab #10  
I think it looks great. Actually I am thinking if you got some more plexiglas and just cut it out in the shape of the openings on the side then hinged it and put it on the front posts you could have doors. Then get a plug in car defroster and mount it to the roof aimed at your front windshield and you could have heat while you are at it. You would wind up spending a lot less money for that than the 5000.00 my cab option cost for my tractor.