welded gooseneck plate

/ welded gooseneck plate #1  

Z RENCH

Silver Member
Tractor
09 Bobcat CT335,09 ct440,08 Kioti DK55, 10 DK45HST, 10 DK40HST, & an 09 John Deere 4720
What advice do ya'll have about a welded gooseneck cross-member plate? :confused:I bought my truck(06 2500 silverado 6.5' bed) with a welded GN plate already on it. My concern is how to spot a good solid weld; not being a welder myself. Also what about too much frame ridgitity side to side due to the welded plate with no flex vs a bolted GN plate wich would have a little flex to it? Is frame cracking a concern? . The plate is 3/4" thick, 6" long and spans the frame rails. In the center where the ball goes, there is an additional 3/4" thick plate about 6x6" welded in. Inside that extra 6x6" plate the giant 2" nut is welded that the ball shank would thread into. the nut is 1 1/2" thick and is welded to both plates, and I should be able to get a second "jam" nut on the bottom of the ball shank.Thanx in advance "Z".

/ welded gooseneck plate #2  
i too had a welded plate on my truck, mine is two 3/4"x6"plates with a piece of pipe between them(for the ball to go through) there is a 1/4"x4" angle that is weld to the edge of the plates and butted to the pipe and then a cross angle on the other side. my ball doesn't screw in but drops in and is held in with a bold through the bottom of the ball.
This all made me uneasy so i took it to a trailer shop, the man their was nice and got under the truck and looked how it was done. He told me that i had nothing to worry about. tried to pay him for his time but wouldn't take any money. You might want to start there so someone who puts them in can have a look

/ welded gooseneck plate #3  
What advice do ya'll have about a welded gooseneck cross-member plate? :confused:I bought my truck(06 2500 silverado 6.5' bed) with a welded GN plate already on it. My concern is how to spot a good solid weld; not being a welder myself. Also what about too much frame ridgitity side to side due to the welded plate with no flex vs a bolted GN plate wich would have a little flex to it? Is frame cracking a concern? . The plate is 3/4" thick, 6" long and spans the frame rails. In the center where the ball goes, there is an additional 3/4" thick plate about 6x6" welded in. Inside that extra 6x6" plate the giant 2" nut is welded that the ball shank would thread into. the nut is 1 1/2" thick and is welded to both plates, and I should be able to get a second "jam" nut on the bottom of the ball shank.Thanx in advance "Z".

Here's a reference showing good and bad welds made with a stick welder

http://www.hobartwelders.com/elearning/pdfs/Stick_Welding_Tips.pdf

And here's another showing the same for MIG welding

http://www.hobartwelders.com/elearning/pdfs/MIG_Welding_Tips.pdf

Chances are that the guy who did the welding on your hitch used one or the other of these welding techniques.

Since you don't have welding experience, I'd advise taking your truck to a weld shop and getting an expert opinion.

Good luck.

/ welded gooseneck plate #4  
I can see welding one in on a older truck but why in the world would anyone weld or make one for a newer truck? There are dozens of companies that make quality flip over GN hitches for all modern trucks that are priced right.

To me this takes away from the value of the truck.

Chris

/ welded gooseneck plate #5  
Must be a old timer with diehard habits.:rolleyes:

/ welded gooseneck plate #6  
My last two trucks had welded in plates that I installed my self. Never had an issue. If you are not sure about the welds take it to a welding shop and have them take a look. As far as the nut, I never did double nut. Never had one come loose. Be sure to take the ball out once in a while or it will be real tough to get loose. Never-seize the threads. My latest truck went with the B+W turn over ball.

Dan