weld fill in for re-drill

/ weld fill in for re-drill #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
So I drilled the hole too big. I have to start again and fill in the hole to re-drill. Is there a rod that makes this easier as it may be my imagination, but it seems weld metal is awfully harder than mild steel?

/ weld fill in for re-drill #2  
I'll be following because I have to do the same thing on a Jeep.

/ weld fill in for re-drill #3  
Drilling in a weld is quite tricky..Martinsite (weld fill) is hard, it is brittle. The weld may crack and break out. I( would use a welded on backing plate, if feasible, and drill that hole in the new metal... but I am not a welder. Jut someone who has tried this kind of a repair by filling a drilling. not satisfactory if stress or vibration are a factor. TIG might work.

/ weld fill in for re-drill #4  
What size hole, in what, for what? What stresses? Does it have to look pretty, or just work? Can you replace the hole and bolt with a stud?

Bruce

/ weld fill in for re-drill #5  
Heat the area up red hot, weld your hole shut, then let the area cool very slowly. When the area your welding is not preheated it draws the heat out of the weld causing it to cool quickly thous hardening it. To harden steel you heat it up rad hot and cool it rapidly by quenching.

/ weld fill in for re-drill #6  
If you are concerned with the weld being hard material you might consider brazing the hole with something softer.

Or just use washers.

/ weld fill in for re-drill #7  
Drill/mill it larger and use a bushing?

/ weld fill in for re-drill #8  
I know exactly what you are talking about, and have been down this street a few times. I learned that stainless mig wire comes out just right for re-drilling. I haven't had to use a stick welder for this yet, so I can't make a recommendation for what stick to use. I would get some rods suitable for stainless and experiment.
Braze ends up being too hard too

/ weld fill in for re-drill #9  
In mild steel I have not had any problem just welding with mig or stick, and re-drilling.
Stick has been with 6013 and 7014.

Have not had to use my tig for it yet, but it uses essentially the same wire fill as my mig.

My friend who does machining work just welds the inside of wallowed out giant holes and mills it out smooth again - nothing special as far as I know.

/ weld fill in for re-drill #10  
It's important to completely fill the hole then grind flush so that you can properly centre punch your hole location for your pilot drill.

Terry