Weight Distribution Hitch

/ Weight Distribution Hitch #2  
I'm no expert but it looks like a good one to me.
All you will need is a ball, probably 2.5/16
I'm sure there are alot of name brands on the market.

/ Weight Distribution Hitch #3  
It looks good and apparently CURT is a big company. It's odd that I've never heard of them before.

/ Weight Distribution Hitch #4  
Curt and Putnam make the best hitches in my opinion. The quality and paint surpass Reese, Draw Tite, ect.

Chris

/ Weight Distribution Hitch #5  
Chris, I'm gettin' obsolete, out of date, old, etc.:laughing: I've owned and used both Reese and Draw Tite in the past and never even heard of Curt and Putnam.:eek: And right now, both of my vehicles have hitch receivers installed by the local U-Haul place. But I've not had a need for a load distributing hitch now since 1977.

/ Weight Distribution Hitch #6  
The Curt looks like a solid unit. I was impressed with the embedded video at the site you linked us to. That is one of the better videos on WD hitch set ups that I have seen. Attention to those measurements are key to proper handling and ride going down the road.:thumbsup:

/ Weight Distribution Hitch #8  
Chris, I'm gettin' obsolete, out of date, old, etc.:laughing: I've owned and used both Reese and Draw Tite in the past and never even heard of Curt and Putnam.:eek: And right now, both of my vehicles have hitch receivers installed by the local U-Haul place. But I've not had a need for a load distributing hitch now since 1977.

They have both been around for years. Just not as nationally noted as others. E trailer sells both and that has really drawn attention to the name.

As far as what I install it's almost always Curt or Putnam. Once the customer sees one in person the can see the difference between them and the big names.

As for your Uhaul hitches. I would not be surprised if they are not made by Curt. The are very similar and both have a good finish.

Chris

/ Weight Distribution Hitch
Is this WDH as good as one that is $400?

Is the trunnion style the better way to go? From what I have read it has better ground clearance, is easier too hook up and is more durable.

Since I am pulling an open car trailer and maybe a dump trailer would sway control be any benefit to me?

I'm thinking about getting a dump trailer. If I decide to get one it is probably going to be a Bri-Mar or a B Wise. B Wise owns Bri-Mar so the dump trailers I am looking at are pretty much the same. With the location of the tool box on these trailers (most others are the same) it does not look like the clamp on WDH brackets will work. I know there are are some brackets that can be bolted on but I am crazy about the idea of drilling holes in the tongue especially on a new trailer. They offer factory installed brackets for the WDH. Are the bars on all WDHs the same length? I am concerned the brackets may not be on in the correct location. Also it looks the brackets have a "key hole" for the chain, they are fixed in place. Would this make it hard to hook up the chains on the WDH since they do not pivot like the clamp on brackets? Here is a picture of a trailer with the factory installed brackets so you can see what I am talking about.

TrailerEnterprises.com

I'm no expert but it looks like a good one to me.
All you will need is a ball, probably 2.5/16
I'm sure there are alot of name brands on the market.

Yes, I will need a 2 5/16'' ball.

Curt and Putnam make the best hitches in my opinion. The quality and paint surpass Reese, Draw Tite, ect.

Chris

I have used some Curt products before. The finish on them is very nice, I believe they are powder coated.

The Curt looks like a solid unit. I was impressed with the embedded video at the site you linked us to. That is one of the better videos on WD hitch set ups that I have seen. Attention to those measurements are key to proper handling and ride going down the road.:thumbsup:

Thanks, for your reply. I also thought the video was good.

A good source of information and reviews for towing related merchandise is etrailer.com.

Curt Trunnion Style Weight Distribution System with Shank, 1,000 lbs. TW, 10,000 lbs. GTW Curt Weight Distribution 17302

Thanks, I checked out the reviews and they all looked good. I'm going to search for some more reviews before I make up my mind.

/ Weight Distribution Hitch
I am leaning towards getting one with swap control. It comes with the hitch ball and is only $25 more than the one with out the ball and sway control. A ball is $15 or $20 itself.