Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge?

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #11  
Your water level looks low. Is there a good place to ford the creek? Perhaps doing some mulching.

Did you specify if you're driving or hauling the skid steer across the creek? It may make a difference. Certainly a heavy equipment trailer would add weight and change the weight distribution.

I can't say how I'd treat it if it was mine. If it appears to have good weight distribution with the machine, I might try it.

However, one would also have to keep in mind that rebuilding the bridge will be expensive, and a lot of work, and that might discourage overloading it.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge?
His intention was to park his equipment trailer elsewhere and drive the skid steer across the bridge. I'm not so sure about that. It's not worth having the mulching work done if the bridge gets damaged.

It's been dry and the creek level you see in the picture was after a hard rain yesterday. There may be a point nearby where he could ford the creek. The creek bottom is solid. It isn't muddy. It's just a question of whether the creek banks are too steep or not. I will try to post a picture of the potential fording area tomorrow when its daylight again.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #13  
A guy in China would drive a tandem dump truck with a 2x overload across that.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #14  
Can't give you a real estimate, as we don't know how much steel is in the concrete, but, as long as he tracks over, rather than trailer, the tracks will distribute the weight better. 10" of concrete with sufficient rebar and wire could support 80,000; 10" of weak concrete and no rebar might not support a Geo Metro.

If you are truly concerned; forget the concrete portion, and run a simple calc online using just the steel beams.

As mentioned, anything that distributed the load across the beams would make it better; ie timbers layer perpendicular to the steel beams.

Given the risk, I would see if there is a better way around, even though I Highly doubt you would have a problem.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #15  
If it was my bridge and land, I’d have excavator cut back the banks at the lowest point to make a ford and forget the bridge crossing. I’ve seen these types of bridges destroyed by log skidders.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #16  
For comparison, 8" of properly reinforced concrete, no I-beams, that's a manhole flat top, and you drive over them every day. But... there is a Lot of rebar, and #2 smooth wire in them. And the span is shorter. What you have is basically a box culvert.

If it was me and my machine, for personal use, I'd look for a way around, but if not available, I'd cross it.

If it was your land and my machine, I wouldn't want to cross it, your mulching job isn't worth the $120k risk, and possible blame of damage for the bridge.

Last edited:
   / Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge?
The bridge is essential. The mulching work isn't.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #18  
If it was my bridge and land, I’d have excavator cut back the banks at the lowest point to make a ford and forget the bridge crossing. I’ve seen these types of bridges destroyed by log skidders.

That’s a no by the EPA. I’d take my chances with the bridge before I messed with the creek.

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #19  
My guy refused to cross any homeowner owned bridge,,

FTIe5t1.jpg

He said he ALWAYS used his own bridge,,

161 eighteen wheelers. plus countless trips with skidders,, etc crossed this bridge at my place.

0pSGUjn.jpg

AND, he took it with him, when he left,,,

hySXpNx.jpg

/ Weight capacity of my concrete/steel bridge? #20  
That’s a no by the EPA. I’d take my chances with the bridge before I messed with the creek.
We build low water crossings all the time in the forestry business. Cut the banks and pad with rocks. The state water quality authority has to approve the plan, but it’s pretty standard stuff unless there is an endangered aquatic species in the project area. The federal EPA has delegated authority to states to administer the clean water act.