weeds in new pasture

/ weeds in new pasture #1  

barticus73

Silver Member
Clarksburg, Pa(Between Indiana and Saltsburg Pa)
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7272,Farmall 544
I just planted new pasture this year on old corn fields that were tilled up early spring and planted with timothy out of a broadcast spreader. Grass is slowly coming up but the field is overrun with these thistle type weeds. How do I get rid of these weeds cause my plan is to make hay off of this field?? Do I spray some type of thistle weed killer or will cutting it get rid of the weeds enough to make decent hay?? What do you experts think?

/ weeds in new pasture #2  
Thistles are one of the hardest weeds to get rid of barticus. Whatever you do don't let them go to seed. If they are new you may be able to get by spraying them with 2-4D. If that doesn't work then you will have to go with a more potent spray. I can't remember what it is called right now but will look when I get home. Thistles are one of the weeds that just mowing won't get rid of. If you can the best way is just to use a shovel and cut them off about 3" below the surface. If you have alot that obviously won't work. Try the 2-4D and I'll get you the name of the really good stuff.

/ weeds in new pasture #4  
Barticus
I cleared about five acres of brush and did not plant them with any thing. I now have five acres of lush thistles. I got a 25 gallon sprayer from Northern Tool, put it on top of my box blade and spray them with a 2-4-D product called Weedmaster. It kills them dead.

The local farmers spray with their animals in the field.

/ weeds in new pasture #5  
If I'm not mistaken, Weedmaster contains 2,4-D and Dicamba. I think it's the Dicamba that kills the thistle. I've used a Trimec formulation that contains both of those chemicals and MCPP; I've had good luck with that.

/ weeds in new pasture
I have a 3ph sprayer but it only has a hand wand attached to it. I want to adapt it to spray fields with a boom type set up. Has any one use the all in one nozzles from TSC that say they spread up to 40 feet or would I be better off to build a boom type setup and if so any suggestions on boom width and material to use. I haven't seen any boom spray attatchmant for sale anywhere just hose and nozzles by themselves.

/ weeds in new pasture #7  
I built my own. Materials....3/8" clear hose, hose clamps,sprayer nozzels,caps,and dont forget the filters,T fittings, and end fittings. Drilled holes in 1.5" x 1.5" angle iron, and a couple of lenths of 1/4" cable for supports on the booms. When you buy the nozzels, make sure you get good ones, and find out what the spray pattern is. I.e. how wide will it spray at what height? The make your boom to fit that height. When you get the "T" fittings, make sure you get the kind that a filter will fit in, else if you dont use a filter, pieces and parts will get stuck in your nozzels.

/ weeds in new pasture #8  
Woody1,

Can you post some pictures. I would be very interested in seeing your booms attached to your sprayer.

Thanks,

/ weeds in new pasture #9  
barticus:

Northern Tool has several boom attachments. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=846340&prmenbr=6970>Here</A> is an example.

/ weeds in new pasture
I see that TSC sells a 'Boomless' nozzle that covers a 40 foot area. Any one ever try one. I live in western Pa so its not really too windy. Sure would be a lot simpler than building a boom setup. I just dont want to by something that doesnt work well for spraying pasture fields.