Weak brakes & battery box confusion.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #11  
How do you grease an axle wrong with a zirc fitting??

If you just do 6 pumps of grease, fresh grease will never reach the outer bearing. There's a minimum of a 1/4 tube of grease capacity inside the hub between the inner and outer bearing on a 3500lb axle.

Excess grease will ooze out the outer bearing into the cap. So there shouldn't be much of a chance to build up enough pressure inside to force the grease past the lip seal.

I could see a failure if whomever installed the lip seal put it in backwards or lost the spring out of it.

But if the lip seal is installed correctly, then you can pump grease till your hearts content and it won't push past that lip seal and effect your breaks.
it has been shown hundreds of times of bearing seals failing and coating the brake linings and everything else.

your suppose to lift the wheel and spin it while using the zirc fittings, I see literally 0 people do that, and using battery powered and air pressure grease guns, if you give it enough, you can blow the seal.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #12  
I would look at the wiring for bad spots especially where the wires go into and out of the axle tubes.
Most automotive wiring has a soy based coating. So critters love to chew on them. Especially if you live in an area where food sources are scarce.

My thought is corrosion in the plug since braking strength is based on the amount of voltage going to the magnets.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion.
It stopped braking correctly pretty suddenly.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #14  
it has been shown hundreds of times of bearing seals failing and coating the brake linings and everything else.

your suppose to lift the wheel and spin it while using the zirc fittings, I see literally 0 people do that, and using battery powered and air pressure grease guns, if you give it enough, you can blow the seal.
I literally do what you describe daily at work. I hit it with my pneumatic grease gun till grease starts to come out the the outer bearing.

The only time I've had failures is on older equipment where the lip seal is worn out and needing to be replaced. But that's usually caught when we do a periodic wheel bearing inspection on the unit and doesn't actually pump any grease to the brakes.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #15  
Pull the break away cable and see if the brakes lock up. Has the trailer been sitting for a month or two? High humidity will rust the armature/magnet and have poor brakes for a bit. Grounds are usually suspect.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #16  
It stopped braking correctly pretty suddenly.
Could be as simple as a bad ground wherever the brake wire ties to the frame.

I've also noticed that whomever they have at the trailer manufacturers doing the wiring, they seem to think that the wires need to be run guitar string tight.

That tends to cause the occasional gremlin as well.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion.
The brakes still work, but only maybe 20-30% power. Its only a 7k trailer, so the truck still stops it easily, but this needs to be fixed.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #19  
if you have an amp meter, i believe at full power, each wheel should pull about 3 amps, this would help determine wiring or grease issue

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #20  
I can tell you that when I bought my trailer a couple of years ago I had much the same issue. The brakes worked fine when I brought it home and for several trips after that then suddenly I not so good brakes. Turned out to be the cheap a$$ vampire splices they used to make the wire connections. Needly to say all that junk came off, solder and shrink wrap fixed my problems.