Weak brakes & battery box confusion.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #121  
I won't argue that a lack of skill and tow vehicle capacity is an issue, but 99% of the time a trailer as short as a U-Haul trailer ends up upside down in the median (absent a blown tire) it's because whoever loaded it did not load it correctly to get enough tongue weight.

It isn't just tongue weight but, the trailer balance point. You absolutely need proper tongue weight but, you also need to keep the "center of gravity" forward of the axles as well. If the trailer's center of gravity is too far to the rear trailer sway and hitch lift during braking are real hazards!

Novices tend to load the heaviest items LAST so, trailer sway and hitch lift during braking are real and they lack the skill to effectively deal with it.

Why would you replace the built-in brake controller which is integrated the vehicles ABS system so it knows what the tow vehicle is doing with an aftermarket one has to guess?
The ground connection should be in the plug on ANY OEM or aftermarket trailer plug, as I said before, if you are relying on your hitch and ball to provide a ground for your trailer no matter if you have a 4, 5, 6 or 7 pin trailer plug you're doing wrong
99.9% of the time if there's a problem with the OEM wiring on the tow vehicle 6/7 pin connector it is an older one where Chevy used a different pin out than everybody else for a while.
I have several co-workers with vehicles that have built-in brake controllers, they all say that the built-in brake controllers are significantly better than the aftermarket ones and they did not have to do anything to their OEM trailer wiring to make it work (aside from some manufacturers or you still have to put in a fuse), otherwise it's just plug in the trailer and go.

Aaron Z

The pickup I am referring to was manufactured in 1999! OEM trailer brake controllers today are significantly better.

In my case, I used Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controllers which were at the time significantly better than any OEM unit I am aware of. Today, if I bought one of those $70K~$100K pickups, I agree there is no need to replace it.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #122  
I’m not trying to hijack this thread but maybe will help. I fixed mine today, probably. When I used it a few days ago I noticed the trailer side plug in looked a little funky. I cleaned it today and the truck side with a battery terminal cleaner and this detailing sticks which are just fancy Q Tips. I bought a variety pack of those detailing sticks several months ago, kind of designed for cleaning nooks and crannies. The picture is what I used to clean the plug, two of the Q tips next to a clean one.

I jacked up each side of the trailer and had the wife manually hit the trailer brakes with the controller turned up on high and the brakes grabbed well. I say probably fixed it because I drove it empty and it seemed better and would lock up the brakes on gravel. I looked in the owners manual that came with my trailer which has Dexter axles. It said the brakes are auto adjusting being driven both forward and backwards. Sounds like all Dexter axles have been this way since about 1996.
IMG_2164.jpeg

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #123  
I’m not trying to hijack this thread but maybe will help. I fixed mine today, probably. When I used it a few days ago I noticed the trailer side plug in looked a little funky. I cleaned it today and the truck side with a battery terminal cleaner and this detailing sticks which are just fancy Q Tips. I bought a variety pack of those detailing sticks several months ago, kind of designed for cleaning nooks and crannies. The picture is what I used to clean the plug, two of the Q tips next to a clean one.

I jacked up each side of the trailer and had the wife manually hit the trailer brakes with the controller turned up on high and the brakes grabbed well. I say probably fixed it because I drove it empty and it seemed better and would lock up the brakes on gravel. I looked in the owners manual that came with my trailer which has Dexter axles. It said the brakes are auto adjusting being driven both forward and backwards. Sounds like all Dexter axles have been this way since about 1996.
View attachment 809682
My 2012 Sure-trac with the Dexter 3.5K axles are not self adjust. I have to adjust them about twice a year.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #124  
I’m going by the owners manual that came with mine that said all Dexter Axles since 1996 are self adjusting. Maybe it says all but it’s not true.

Edit, I got on Sure Trac’s website and looked at the Dexter manuals for a 3.5k axle and it MAY have self adjusting brakes. I’m guessing my brand Trailerman, has been getting the self adjusting ones only.

Last edited:
   / Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #125  
our trailer plates are permanent atleast for light duty trailers so only one payment. Can't remember how much I paid for my homebuilt plate. But I do pay an average of 37% income tax every year...

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #126  
It isn't just tongue weight but, the trailer balance point. You absolutely need proper tongue weight but, you also need to keep the "center of gravity" forward of the axles as well. If the trailer's center of gravity is too far to the rear trailer sway and hitch lift during braking are real hazards!

Novices tend to load the heaviest items LAST so, trailer sway and hitch lift during braking are real and they lack the skill to effectively deal with it.
You are describing tongue weight, if your "center of gravity" is behind the axles you will not have adequate tongue weight (10-15% for a bumper pull trailer).

The pickup I am referring to was manufactured in 1999! OEM trailer brake controllers today are significantly better.

In my case, I used Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controllers which were at the time significantly better than any OEM unit I am aware of. Today, if I bought one of those $70K~$100K pickups, I agree there is no need to replace it.
There was no built in OEM brake controller in 1999, that started in 2005 when Ford introduced it (in the Superduty line IIRC).
Before that you could put one that used a sensor in the brake line, but the P3 has been the gold standard for aftermarket brake controllers for years.

Aaron Z

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #127  
No arguments there but, most pickups today come with factory trailer brake controllers, at least the HD pickups, and the owner has almost no control over what the factory did and most aren't going to replace a brand new brake controller from the factory with an aftermarket controller.

Personally, I think Dodge/Ram made a huge mistake with their heavy duty hitches on the Ram 2500/3500 pickups, either do a 2" receiver or a 3" receiver, not some sort of sleeve in a 2.5" receiver. In all fairness, I don't expect any new owner to leave the dealer lot and go test the connections on the 7-pin controller on their new pickup. Only later does the owner discover it was done wrong. A bit like myself with that 2.5" receiver sleeve to fit 2" hitch components.
Factory trailer plugs on trucks come plug and play. And replacements can be purchased at the local auto parts stores.

The nice thing is if you just have a 7 pin you can upgrade to the 7 pin with the 4 flat with out any difficulty. Just a couple screws and a quick connect where it attaches to the wiring harness.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion.
No arguments there but, most pickups today come with factory trailer brake controllers, at least the HD pickups, and the owner has almost no control over what the factory did and most aren't going to replace a brand new brake controller from the factory with an aftermarket controller.

Personally, I think Dodge/Ram made a huge mistake with their heavy duty hitches on the Ram 2500/3500 pickups, either do a 2" receiver or a 3" receiver, not some sort of sleeve in a 2.5" receiver. In all fairness, I don't expect any new owner to leave the dealer lot and go test the connections on the 7-pin controller on their new pickup. Only later does the owner discover it was done wrong. A bit like myself with that 2.5" receiver sleeve to fit 2" hitch components.

My Rams towing system is the best I have ever used. Far better than my Ford’s, but they were also older trucks.
I can’t imagine designing a better towing system than on the Ram I currenty own. The best part is the diesel engine in front pulling the load.
Born to pull heavy loads. ;)

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion. #129  
Haydude I have no experience with factory brake controllers except with my current F150 but I think Ford, Chevy and Ram all have good built in towing systems these days. I added a Teknosa(sp?) to my previous trucks and the built in controller in my F150 is so much smoother. The truck also tells you if you have a burnt out light bulb.

/ Weak brakes & battery box confusion.
Haydude I have no experience with factory brake controllers except with my current F150 but I think Ford, Chevy and Ram all have good built in towing systems these days. I added a Teknosa(sp?) to my previous trucks and the built in controller in my F150 is so much smoother. The truck also tells you if you have a burnt out light bulb.
Yes, I’m sure they are.
Nothing like a great factory integrated towing system, with modes for light electric, heavy electric and electric over hydraulic brakes, tow haul mode, a 2 stage exhaust brake, great HD transmission and an engine born to pull ;)