We All Live In An Orange Submarine

/ We All Live In An Orange Submarine #1  

sunandsand

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I have a neighbor who has an MX4700.

He evidently believes that NDT is strictly for wimps. He BREAKS stuff, big time. This time, he has absolutely outdone himself.

Disclaimer - he's a good neighbor and a friend, and I'm not mad at him - just a little in awe this time. He thinks I'm too much of a perfectionist (and has told me so), I think he's a tad too casual with his machinery (I've kept my mouth shut), but this makes the world go around.

Now last week, he was mowing. He has a gang mower, I think it is about ten feet across, and it is a Bush Hog brand. He hit something very, very solid, and the shear bolt either refused to shear or had been replaced with a grade 14 depleted uranium bolt or something and it did NOT let go. Tractor stalled . . .

I saw the remains of the PTO shaft. Inside that cover is a solid steel bar with about an inch and a quarter or an inch and a half cross section. It was twisted like a pretzel, maybe two full twists in two feet - impressive.

His problem with this is that he can't get the rear PTO U-joint yoke off the splined shaft on the mower. He removed the bolt, but the yoke will NOT come off. He's used some serious stuff on it, big breaker bars, an auto body shop hydraulic spreader (junior grade jaws of life), lots of profanity, no dice, it isn't moving.

I suggested that there might be a snap ring but he said no, it is only the bolt, the yoke is just stuck on the spline. (Maybe he will go look for a snap ring, we will see.)

OK, so now we get to the good part.

Yesterday, he was using his root rake to clean up our easement. There were rocks and roots on it, he was "shaving" it to make it somewhat smoother (it still stinks). He had a rake full of roots, brush, rocks, etc., and he decided to dump it into a small pond adjacent to the easement.

What he told me was that this pond looked to be pretty shallow, so he didn't think twice. Guess what - the pond was an old borrow pit and is at the least six or seven feet deep, probably more. (There's another one on his property that he already knows about, but he didn't know about this one.)

Front of the tractor went underwater, intake ingested water, tractor stopped. Blub blub blub. He got off and back to dry land with the tractor abut two thirds submerged.

(I would have helped him retrieve the tractor but I wasn't around, the first I knew of it was when I saw his tractor at the side of the easement dripping water lilies and mud, and liberally festooned with other acquatic plants.)

He pulled it out using his gnarly 4WD super duty Chebby work truck. To get it to come out, he had to disconnect the root rake because it is stuck on something down there (Nessie?). He did put a buoy on it so he can find it when he goes back for it later.

The tractor did start, but it is not running on all cylinders, and is making noises that indicate a sick, sick, sick engine. He suspects a bent valve ("Its only a flesh wound!"), my experience with running engines that have ingested water tells me to look for bent con rods as well. I have my fingers crossed on this, he's taking it apart later this week.

So two questions:

1) Any idea why the rear U-joint yoke won't come off the spline on the mower?

2) Damages to look for on an inadvertent Kubota submarine? (We already know the submarine's screen door leaks "a little", what else should he look for?) Drain the green gold transmission fluids and change all the filters? I think this time he's seriously hurt this poor tractor . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ We All Live In An Orange Submarine #2  
The splines on the PTO are twisted. Unfortunately, some parts are still straight, so the combination keeps the two parts together.

/ We All Live In An Orange Submarine #3  
Just cut it off. Torch or grinder. Slit it, split it, spit on it, and be done. A new PTO shaft will have both ends.
I'm willing to bet that the gearbox on the cutter also has some as of yet undetected bendage.

/ We All Live In An Orange Submarine #4  
Holy Moley ! Your friend has a mess on his hands. I will risk a few comments none of which will fix his problems.
1) He is snake bit and needs to stop abusing what was a perfectly good tractor. He may see himself as a tractor repair hero and I am not seeing any evidence so far.
2) The 10 ft wide or more gang mower ( I assume you are talking a bat-wing Bush Hog) is too much for that tractor. Unless he is sticking to "easily cut grass" and apparently not, he tends to need something stronger...
3) When he takes the entire rig to a tractor repair shop (dealer or otherwise which he obviously should do...) they can probably extract the PTO U-joint from the PTO shaft (heat, hydraulic force, etc.) and worst case just take the U-joint apart and replace the part of the U-joint that mates to the PTO. Not surprised if it is cheaper to just replace the whole U-joint. That he certainly can do himself. Norm ios right (above) and of course it is the twisted PTO shaft making the U-joint nearly impossible to get loose.
4) I am a little less pessimist than you about the Kubota engine. Ingesting water MIGHT not have done all that much damage. Let the shop diagnose that and see where it leads. He will probably make the whole thing worse.
5) I do NOT see this as a do-it-yourself situation.

/ We All Live In An Orange Submarine
Holy Moley ! Your friend has a mess on his hands. I will risk a few comments none of which will fix his problems.
1) He is snake bit and needs to stop abusing what was a perfectly good tractor. He may see himself as a tractor repair hero and I am not seeing any evidence so far.

Agree. He does fix a lot of stuff, but he needs to remember Clint Eastwood's caution about an man's gotta know his own limitations. I think he's learning his limitations the hard way. That's one of the great things about this group, I can read and research to decide if I am going to fix something myself or if I am going to yell for help.

2) The 10 ft wide or more gang mower ( I assume you are talking a bat-wing Bush Hog) is too much for that tractor. Unless he is sticking to "easily cut grass" and apparently not, he tends to need something stronger...

Most of what he does is easily cut grass. He does however, sometimes stray into areas that are not so easy - Cogon grass (which is like trying to mow steel wool) and places that have hidden obstacles.

3) When he takes the entire rig to a tractor repair shop (dealer or otherwise which he obviously should do...) they can probably extract the PTO U-joint from the PTO shaft (heat, hydraulic force, etc.) and worst case just take the U-joint apart and replace the part of the U-joint that mates to the PTO. Not surprised if it is cheaper to just replace the whole U-joint. That he certainly can do himself. Norm ios right (above) and of course it is the twisted PTO shaft making the U-joint nearly impossible to get loose.

I will pass that along. He's a bit frustrated right now. (Wonder why?)

4) I am a little less pessimist than you about the Kubota engine. Ingesting water MIGHT not have done all that much damage. Let the shop diagnose that and see where it leads. He will probably make the whole thing worse.

Agree, agree. He's going to pull the head off himself, he is competent to do that and probably to put it back, but I question if he'll be able to diagnose things properly just by looking (unless something is really busted).

5) I do NOT see this as a do-it-yourself situation.

Me either. If this were mine, I'd do some preliminary diagnosis to decide if it was going to a shop or not. If this was a gas engine, I'd dive right in, but even though the basics of gas and diesel engines are pretty much the same, I know zilch about diesel injection and fuel systems, and I know that I know zilch about it.

Thanks for your input!

Best,

Mike/Florida

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / We All Live In An Orange Submarine #6  
Sounds like this guy is a continuous disaster. Does he make easy money, to be able to constantly wreck stuff without any regard for his own safety ?
I,m surprised he didn,t fly off of the tractor when he hit something that solid enough to wreck his mower and driveshaft like that.
Make sure to never lend him any of your stuff, even a screwdriver. To me, this guy looks like another accident waiting to happen. You only get so many chances.

/ We All Live In An Orange Submarine
Yes, being his neighbor has been "interesting" from time to time. Coupla years ago he was burning brush, the wind picked up and it got away from him. He tried to put it out with his tractor and ran over a railroad spike lying in the dirt, instant flat rear tire, but he was able to back the tractor to safety. (Oh ****!)

Fire grew very rapidly, spread in MY direction, fire departments from all around the area showed up, I have a screen grab from a news helicopter's footage of flames higher than my hangar and only a few feet away. (Oh ****! Oh ****!)

I was home with wife's frail, aged mother, wife was in court (she's a lawyer), her friends were watching local TV and started calling her "Your house is on fire!" (It wasn't) and she rushed homeward but had the FD stop her about a mile from the house saying sorry ma'm you can't go in and oh boy was she ever ticked!

Fire guys were outside saying I didn't look terribly upset about all this. I said steel and concrete don't burn very well, yes, I'm concerned but no, not upset (which wouldn't have helped anyway). They put it out (MIL slept through the whole thing) and the whole area stank of smoke for a week. No damage to anything of mine, a neighbor 1/4 mile further had a wooden fence burn down. Guy apologized (and fixed the neighbor's fence).

A few years later, he had a friend's pickup truck camper parked outside his hangar (very adjacent to his home) and it got hit by lightning. This one was NOT his fault.

Problem was the propane tanks for the camper promptly blew up and the camper burned right to the ground - taking neighbor's pickup truck with it along with some motorcycles and ATVs parked inside a shipping container next to the ill-fated pickup camper.

Turns out HIS 82 y.o. mother was home at the time, and she valiantly grabbed a garden hose and tried to put it out. After a very short time, she realized that the garden hose was rather outclassed (Ya think?) and yelled for help. FD arrived quickly (only two miles away) and got it under control before it spread much further. His mom got her eyebrows singed a bit.

He was out of town (not far) and I called him, told him his mom was fine, but the FD was here and he really ought to saddle up and come on home, like right now. (Oh ****! Oh ****!) He did, and yes, he was freaked out.

As to lending him things, I've lent him a metal detector to look for aircraft tiedowns which screw into the ground and always manage to get forgotten (he returns it in working order each time), and this last time out, I lent him a set of fluting pliers because he is making an aluminum cowling for an ultralight airplane he just bought . . .

Stay tuned next week for the next thrilling episode of chaos and destruction, and no, I am NOT going to ride with him in that ultralight, which is basically a lawn chair with delusions of grandeur, and generally a very elaborate way to commit suicide.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida