Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump?

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I have a 10K/12K surge generator but there are times when I might only want to run my Wayne 1/2 HP sump pump off a smaller generator. I'm not sure if I can do this with a smaller portable Honda.

In searching the net, one site says a 1/2 hp sump pump needs 1050 watts to run and 3200 to start. I had planned to get the Honda 3200/2600 watt portable but now I'm not so sure that if that will work. I don't want to burn up the generator overloading it. There is no info with my pump.

Can anyone offer any insight on watts or generator to run a dedicated 120 line for a sump pump for power outage?

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #2  
You can reduce the in-rush peak current hit to your generator if you can wire a hard-start kit into the pump circuit. The same tech works to run AC systems off generator also.

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump?
You can reduce the in-rush peak current hit to your generator if you can wire a hard-start kit into the pump circuit. The same tech works to run AC systems off generator also.
Thank you. Can you explain more? This is over my head.

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #4  
Hyper Engineering | Single Phase

AC motors can require 6x the rated power to start up from a locked motor position. So for that first instant, the draw of power is much more than your small generator can supply and it will trip. Hard start kits are in-line capacitors to overcome that surge. There are also soft start kits, that spread that surge out, by starting the motor at a lower speed and then ramping up to 100%:

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump?
Hyper Engineering | Single Phase

AC motors can require 6x the rated power to start up from a locked motor position. So for that first instant, the draw of power is much more than your small generator can supply and it will trip. Hard start kits are in-line capacitors to overcome that surge. There are also soft start kits, that spread that surge out, by starting the motor at a lower speed and then ramping up to 100%:
How does this wire in? What do I do to switch back to plugging back in the wall to run normally?

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #6  
How does this wire in? What do I do to switch back to plugging back in the wall to run normally?
its a permanent modification, it doesn't hurt anything, just expensive

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #7  
Getting a soft or hard start added to your well will do you and your generator a favor. Your generator will live longer if it runs more than 50% or so load, as low loads tend to have both diesel and gasoline generators over fueled, which tends to foul engines.

So while your 10k can probably start your well just fine, the well alone probably is not going to be enough of a load to keep the engine rings in good shape. As @coldsteelva points out, that 6-10X surge implies a much larger generator, but isn't enough of a load to keep the bigger generator in good shape.

The only downside is the upfront cost, but the soft start will probably help the longevity of your well pump motor, and the hard start will help reduce any voltage drops around the property when the well pump kicks in.

All the best,

Peter

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #8  
I have a 10K/12K surge generator but there are times when I might only want to run my Wayne 1/2 HP sump pump off a smaller generator. I'm not sure if I can do this with a smaller portable Honda.

In searching the net, one site says a 1/2 hp sump pump needs 1050 watts to run and 3200 to start. I had planned to get the Honda 3200/2600 watt portable but now I'm not so sure that if that will work. I don't want to burn up the generator overloading it. There is no info with my pump.

Can anyone offer any insight on watts or generator to run a dedicated 120 line for a sump pump for power outage?
For small inverter generators, in general the guidelines out of some of the older inverter generator manuals typically stated the following.

Pure resistive loads can be run at 100% of generator rating.
Incandescent lights or electric resistance heater fall under this catagory. No inductive loads.
So a 1000 watt inverter generator can run 1000 watts of these type of loads as there is no start up surge.

Power tools with can be used at 80% to 90% of the generator rating.
Depends on how the motor is wound, which effects the magnetic coupling ability of the power tool.

Motors can be used at 40% of the generator rating, this is dependant on how they are made. Motors loads are typically around 85 percent efficient.

To find the motor load that a 1000 watt inverter generator can safely start, we would use some simple math from the older manuals.
1000 watts x 40% = 400 watts.
400 watts x 85% (Motor efficientcy) = 340 watts.
The 1000 watt inverter generator can safely start a 340 watt motor load (according to these older manuals).
I would not try to start any motor under load using this math.

I have 2000 watt Yamaha and Honda inverter generators and use them on a 1/2 HP trash pump. They will start the pump with the outlet valve closed (no load). I then open the valve and it is not a problem to add pumping load to the motor.
I can't start the motor if the valve is open, which places to much load on either generator and they will stall out. Not good for longevity of the motor or the generator. Voltage sag=higher amps in inrush current.

I would never reccommend a 2000 watt gen. to start this load for a customer. I would tell them 4000 watt gen. is what they need as it will start the motor under load.
1/2 HP = 373 watts continuous. 373 x 10 = 3730 starting watts needed.

Some of the cheaper inverter generators do not start motors using the 10 times inrush rule of thumb. So your mileage may vary depending on quality of gen. set.

Last edited:
   / Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #9  
8500 watt generac gas generator will run that and much more. That’s the peak watts. It will not need a start assist on such a small motor. I run that dirt my whole house including 4 ton heat pump (definitely use start assist on that)

/ Watts needed for generator to run a 1/2 HP sump pump? #10  
The well here is 85 feet deep with a 220V 3/4 hp pump. I bought a Champion 3500/4000 watt generator in 2008. It will run my well pump.

I think they quit making this generator, because 3500/4000 is too small for 220V in most cases. My neighbor and brother bought 3500/4000 right after, but they didn't have 220V anymore. The ones they bought had the RV plug.