Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder

/ Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #11  
My advise to anyone thinking of drilling a well today is not to think of what there Grandfather or his generation did. The water table in the us is dropping and has dropped since grandpas day.

Well drillers also charge by the foot drilled if they hit water or not. Sinking five thousand dollars into a dry hole has been a rude awaken for some on the water problem in the US.

We today see Fire Hydrants in very rural areas. Local Guberments have extended water lines at great cost into rural areas so residents can have water. The alternate to the high cost of water today being provided in some communties is pay the price or have no water.

If the property you are planning on needing water on has a municipal water source my advise is to hook onto that.

Read and weep. It is long.

Last edited:
   / Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #12  
There are 4 times as many people on this planet as when my Grandfather was using dynamite on the hard spots when spudder drilling. Water is just one of many things the planet cannot supply enough of for so many people. Municipal water doesn't just magically appear. It comes from the same wells and aquifers as private wells. It doesn't matter if you are tied into a city water source or a private water source, there is a limited amount of resources the earth can supply.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #13  
There are 4 times as many people on this planet as when my Grandfather was using dynamite on the hard spots when spudder drilling. Water is just one of many things the planet cannot supply enough of for so many people. Municipal water doesn't just magically appear. It comes from the same wells and aquifers as private wells. It doesn't matter if you are tied into a city water source or a private water source, there is a limited amount of resources the earth can supply.
Most municipal water comes from streams or rivers. The small town close to where I live had two wells and two huge tanks. The water kept going further and further down the pipe. They contracted with a municipal water supplier in another county who draws water from a river. The small town borrowed the money installed miles of pipes a pumping station with a generator backup to get water before their wells went dry.

A lot of municipalities use storage reservoirs. The hot sun beaming down evaporates the water in the reservoirs.

The old rock we live on is changing, yet people don’t believe it. Oil is the fought after commodity today, very shortly it will be water.

Think also about this. How many more cities or towns will water have to be barged in for as the Ocean continues to rise and salt water intrusion contaminants fresh water supplies.

Last edited:
   / Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #14  
Yeah we are using up all the surface water as well. Lakes drying out and rivers no longer running is why a lot of wells are not getting replenished. Springs stopped running a long time ago and the wells just keep getting deeper. I don't think it has as much to do with getting your water from a river or a well as it does with there being probably about 8 times more humans than our habitat can maintain.

/ Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #15  
Most of our springs are still flowing, lots of old wells still doing good including some shallow dug wells. Small steams dry up many years in August or so, for a bit till it rains then they are off and flowing again.

/ Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #16  
There is some serious talk now about draining lake powell.

/ Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #17  
There is some serious talk now about draining lake powell.
Draining Lake Powell Sounds like Nevada and the Las Vegas Strip finally realized climate change has eliminated trillions of gallons of water from the Colorado River and they want Arizona’s water so they can continue on with business as usual.

“The latest deal among the states to voluntarily leave more water in Lake Mead won't permanently solve this problem. If we're lucky, billions in federal cash will spur enough water conservation, over and above what the current rules require, to limp the lake through 2026.”

I wonder who‘s pocket people think the billions in Federal Cash is going to come from.

/ Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #18  
   / Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder #19  
My FIL just had a well drilled this week on his camp in upstate NY. Was a rotary drill with hammer action. $50 a foot until they hit rock, includes casing. $25 a foot thru the rock. Drilled 167 feet and got 6-7 gpm. Took about 4 hours.

/ Water Well Drilling Rotary or Pounder
Not a fan of the channel but Diesel Creek had a percussion rig drill his well at his shop in an episode last week.

1:25 minute mark.