Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad??

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
My dealer filled my rear tires with water prior to delivery without even asking me, which I thought was fine, I guess, except I would've preferred something that wouldn't freeze or rust the wheel. But it was done, so whatever.

So, although my tractor lives under cover, it's an open barn with roof & 2 sides only, & our recent low-20-degrees weather may have frozen the water in the rear tires. I noticed today that the bottom 3rd of both rear tires are soaking wet (sweating?) & sitting in a puddle of water, like maybe they're just now thawing out after about a week of way above freezing days.

So ... Is this bad??

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #2  
My dealer filled my rear tires with water prior to delivery without even asking me, which I thought was fine, I guess, except I would've preferred something that wouldn't freeze or rust the wheel. But it was done, so whatever.

So, although my tractor lives under cover, it's an open barn with roof & 2 sides only, & our recent low-20-degrees weather may have frozen the water in the rear tires. I noticed today that the bottom 3rd of both rear tires are soaking wet (sweating?) & sitting in a puddle of water, like maybe they're just now thawing out after about a week of way above freezing days.

So ... Is this bad??

Can u see if the tire is spit anywhere. Have u driven the tractor to see if the tires are frozen. If they are u can fill the diff. If they haven't frozen yet I would try to get some antifreeze in them pretty quick. It should take about 4galons per tire. Hope everything is ok im crossing my fingers for ya.

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #3  

So ... Is this bad??
There is a possibility that as the water freezes and swells, it could push the tire off the rim.

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #4  
beppington
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the temps are above freezing now, then figure there is little to no ice in the tires.
And the rubber will tolerate the ice expanding so will very likely cause no damage whatsoever.
I wouldn't drive the tractor if you suspect there is ice in there, as the chunk of ice sloshing around may cause unnecessary wear within the tube or if no tube - in the casing.
The tires will sweat because the low temp water causing condensation.
If the air pressure is the same as before, another clue there is no harm, no foul.

But good to have some caution and concern about the freezing temps you have had in FL. One day you were colder than we were in WI. :)

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad??
Can u see if the tire is spit anywhere. Have u driven the tractor to see if the tires are frozen. If they are u can fill the diff. If they haven't frozen yet I would try to get some antifreeze in them pretty quick. It should take about 4galons per tire. Hope everything is ok im crossing my fingers for ya.

I didn't see any splits & it was still sitting up high as though there are no leaks. But I didn't have time to actually drive/ move it. I think I will add the anti-freeze, or replace some of the water with anti-freeze that is.

There is a possibility that as the water freezes and swells, it could push the tire off the rim.

I see no signs of the tire being pushed off the rim.

I'll be able to drive it tomorrow & hope it's fine. Dadgummit :(

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad??
I wouldn't drive the tractor if you suspect there is ice in there ...

I'll back it out very slowly & see if I can hear or feel any ice.

Thanks for the responses. I'll report back after tomorrow.

(Supposed to be 26 Sunday nite & 24 Monday nite :( Gotta move quick on the anti-freeze)

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #7  
Like jlsmith said, get antifreeze in there asap.

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #8  
If a cool glass of water can sweat, why not tires? I would contact the dealer to find out what fluid is in there. I doubt that it's plain water.

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #9  
The filled tire should only be 75% full anyway so the extra space should allow for the ice to swell. I highly doubt it is frozen anyway. It might be a bit slushy but it has to be pretty darn cold for an extended period to freeze solid.

/ Water in rear tires may have frozen? Is this bad?? #10  
Ive still got the water in my Mahindra tires. It is definitely getting frozen around the outside, but it breaks up readily when moved. I would be worried about damaging a tube but mine are tubeless and I think the tire can take the amt of ice without damage. I park it inside nites, but unheated. Then take it out on sunny days.
larry