water in fuel. (HELP)

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #1  

rj100n2

Tractor
YANMAR 2450.
Water in fuel got into engine and tractor shut down . Engine turns over but won't fire. What do I do? Tractor is a Cub Cadet SC2450 . 2012

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #2  
No water separator in your fuel line?
IMO you would have to drain your complete
fuel line including the pump!

willy

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #3  
Lawn tractor, probably no fuel separator.

Water is heavier than gasoline, so it will settle to the bottom of the tank if left to sit overnight. If you're able to disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the tank, you can drain the water out of the tank, blow the lines and carb clean, and it should be resolved. Change your fuel filter, and dump a little dry gas in the tank ($3/bottle), while you're at it.

1684445859210.png

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #4  
Actually it is a subcompact diesel , But still the same issue, I had this happen to me last year, Drained the tank and both fuel filters, Put fresh fuel in primed the system and she fired up and ran fine,

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #5  
Drain the tank, fuel lines, and replace filters. I have had success in reclaiming contaminated diesel with Mr Funnel water separating filters.

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #6  
Actually it is a subcompact diesel , But still the same issue, I had this happen to me last year, Drained the tank and both fuel filters, Put fresh fuel in primed the system and she fired up and ran fine,
Even better, at least on the tank side of things. The water/diesel line will be very easy to see when draining a tank from the bottom, if accessible, due to the red or green dye they put in it for off-road / on-road identification. Much harder to see with gasoline, as both are mostly clear.

No need to drain the entire tank, just let it stand long enough to separate, then drain until you see fuel. Blow all lines clean, dump out fuel separator/filter bowl(s).

I've honestly never gotten enough water into a diesel system to cause shutdown like this, so I'm not sure if you'll need to go beyond that (injector pump, injectors, etc.). Let's hope not.

/ water in fuel. (HELP)
Water in fuel got into engine and tractor shut down . Engine turns over but won't fire. What do I do? Tractor is a Cub Cadet SC2450 . 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. Off to the parts store tomorrow.

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #8  
Whilst at the 'parts store', get a 'bottle' of diesel biocide to add to the fresh tank of fuel.

It's an "ounce of prevention" against a future biological growth forming due to there having been water in the tank. Trust me on this as I had a similar incident and two YEARS later, the growth (some refer to it as algae) had formed to the point that it starved the fuel system.

Last edited:
   / water in fuel. (HELP) #9  
Drain the tank, fuel lines, and replace filters. I have had success in reclaiming contaminated diesel with Mr Funnel water separating filters.

I use a Mr Funnel everytime I fill up expressly for preventing any contaminates that may have gotten into the storage containers from getting into the tractors.

/ water in fuel. (HELP) #10  
I've honestly never gotten enough water into a diesel system to cause shutdown like this, so I'm not sure if you'll need to go beyond that (injector pump, injectors, etc.). Let's hope not.

I have, on my Kubota L4740.
I had a barrel of diesel that was outside temporarily. I thought the bungs were sealed but, unknown to me, it got water in it. When I pumped from it into the tractor, the pump pulled the water from the bottom of the barrel. The tractor didn't run long
Thankfully, I shut it off as soon as it started sputtering. Checked the clear fuel filter housing and saw it had water. Took the housing off, opened the fuel shutoff and drained the water out, replaced the filter, opened all the injector lines and cranked it until it was pure fuel at the injectors. Fired up and haven't had a problem since.