Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,??

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I installed a water softener in my home 40 years ago, so I have not had a reason to replace heater heater elements,,

My daughter's home has a typical 2-element electric hot water heater, probably 4500 watt elements, 240 volt, ~50 gallon,,,
Yes, she has high calcium water, no water softener, the elements surely have buildup on them.

Anyways, both elements show resistance, so they are not burned out,, as far as electrically concerned.
BUT, I do hear the water heater "growling" when the heater has to heat water. (Calcium buildup, I assume)

I know the elements need replaced, I have the "LOW DENSITY WATTAGE" version elements to replace the ones in the water heater now.

My real question is,,, "Hmmmm, the circuit breaker will trip occasionally!!"

Would calcium buildup cause the circuit breaker to trip, ?? OR, would the tripped breaker be do to some other issue??

Thanks for the help.

I

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #2  
If a circuit breaker trips with no change in the load it should be replaced. When they get a few years on them they can trip for no reason. Never assume when you flip the handle the circuit is broken, either. ALWAYS check that the circuit is dead before working on it!!

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #3  
I had one do that, I assume the growling is flash boiling, and there is air around the elements due to build up. I think air around a heating element raises the temp, and lowers the resistance causing over current and breaker to blow.

No harm in replacing the breaker, but, I think the new elements will fix it. Hard water, it is worth it to flush with vinegar every year.

Best,

ed

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,??
If a circuit breaker trips with no change in the load it should be replaced.

What I was wondering is ,,
could the calcium buildup be causing the load to change?
or,,
Could the calcium buildup make the resistance of the water heater element drop as the element temp is higher than normal,,??

If the element is more conductive at a higher temp, that may cause the breaker to trip,, ??

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #5  
I was gonna say...You ever bother to flush the heaters at all? I flush mine monthly (have calcium) so it don't collect in the bottom and eventually cause a hole in the tank. Thermal breakers get weak over time (and trips), I'd replace them of I were you.

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #6  
It could be the thermostat control going out. Upper limit switch. I know Lowe's has kits for water heaters.

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #7  
i would pull the lower element, and see if the calicum is covering it from the bottom up, it prolly is, I would then clean the tank, and see if that cures the tripping issue.

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #8  
How old is the water heater? If it's more than 12 years old, simply replace the unit. Otherwise give the new element a try.

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #9  
One of my parents friends electric furnace would trip the circuit breaker after about 20 minutes.

I was sent to check it out as the heating contractor said it was too old and gave a quote to replace which she could not afford so no heat.

Looking at it I found all the connections clean and secure and no signs of melting or discoloration.

I said I would like to try something and disconnected on it the 5 heat strips...

This was 40 years ago and she never had another problem and it cost nothing.

Could it be the element not sized correctly?

/ Water Heater Trips Breaker,,, HELP!!,,,?? #10  
Elements can short to ground intermittently, and having hard water deposits will definitely cause elements to burn out faster as the hard water deposit build up means that they run at higher temperatures (and are less efficient), but it also means that they corrode faster.

I'm with @JJT, that the most cost effective thing is probably to buy a new one. (And a water softener!) If not, I would pull the elements and replace them , and the anode while you are at it.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited: