Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar

/ Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Well....miracles never cease. We had a flood and a it killed our little vintage Yanmar. Just today my wife was wishing we still had it. And after some discussion we've decided to get another. So....

We're in the market for a small 4wd Yanmar tractor and want to find a nice one from back in the 1970s and 80s ....the era when Yanmars were imported into the USA and and they had dealers here. Something in the 15 to 20 hp range; we're familiar with those and like the color! We do still have a loader to fit the YM165d, and several models had mounting points close to that.

Typical model numbers were YM135D, YM155D, YM165D, YM186D, and YM187D. I've probably missed a model or two, but that's close. I'm hoping to find one in very nice condition and with turfs.
If you know of such, please let me know.
rScotty - in Colorado

Last edited:
   / Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #2  
Well....miracles never cease. We had a flood and a it killed our little vintage Yanmar. Just today my wife was wishing we still had it. And after some discussion we've decided to get another. So....

We're in the market for a small 4wd Yanmar tractor and want to find a nice one from back in the 1970s and 80s ....the era when Yanmars were imported into the USA and and they had dealers here. Something in the 15 to 20 hp range; we're familiar with those and like the color! We do still have a loader to fit the YM165d, and several models had mounting points close to that.

Typical model numbers were YM135D, YM155D, YM165D, YM186D, and YM187D. I've probably missed a model or two, but that's close. I'm hoping to find one in very nice condition and with turfs.
rScotty - in Colorado

US models were

YM 122
YM 135
YM 135D
YM 140
YM 140D
YM 146
YM 147
YM 147D
YM 155
YM 155D
YM 165
YM 165D
YM 169
YM 169D
YM 180
YM 180D
YM 186
YM 186D
YM 187
YM 187D
YM 195
YM 195D
YM 220
YM 220D
YM 226
YM 226D
YM 240
YM 240D
YM 276
YM 276D
YM 330
YM 330D
YM 336
YM 336D

If you look at Tractordata.com, it will get you to a ballpark of the Hp you are looking for. Up your way are one or two active dealers in Washington State. I'll have to post tonight on from the other computer.

Some of the above models are crossed to the Yanmar grays.

As for the number missing in-between on the US listing, those were for Europe and Australia use.

YM12
YM14
YM135
YM135D
YM140
YM141
YM143
YM143D
YM155
YM155D
YM165
YM165D
YM167
YM167D
YM169D
YM180
YM180D
YM182
YM186
YM186D
YM188
YM188D
YM195
YM195D
YM200
YM206
YM206D
YM220D
YM226
YM226D
YM240
YM240D
YM241
YM241D
YM246
YM246D
YM257
YM257D
YM258
YM258D
YM276
YM276D
YM330
YM330D
YM336
YM336D

In a weird way, there are more supply and support parts for the Yanmar gray tractors in the USA than the older Yanmars marketed for the USA. Even John Deere turns up obsoleted for parts and assemblies. Remarkably, those people are finding parts from the gray suppliers now and at a better price.

If you do go gray, do NOT get a VN refurbish unit. no no no. :eek: run for the hills.

Only go gray from a very reliable refurbish dealer. These will have the safety ROPS, PTO shield, seatbelts, etc. Thus, it's far better than a paint job.

/ Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #3  
Scotty I have concluded YM186D and YM187D are the best tractors Yanmar ever sent over here in the small category. (I now have two YM186D's :) as well as the original YM240). And that $7,000 YM187D down by Denver airport, in near new condition, was the deal of the century. I still don't know if I made a mistake passing that one up but the additional $1,400 delivery to San Francisco region put it beyond my reach. I wouldn't look beyond these models.

bmaverick you're preaching to the choir. :) rScotty is one of the founders of this group, and bought his first US Yanmar new 30+ years ago.

/ Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #4  
bmaverick you're preaching to the choir. :) rScotty is one of the founders of this group, and bought his first US Yanmar new 30+ years ago.

That's cool. He just couldn't remember the US model list. It's easy to grab when you jump over to the Yanmar USA site and read what is Yanmar imported and what is considered a Yanmar gray. Likewise in Europe.

If I had to pick, the YM186D would be a safe bet. It has more than one regional area it was offered into. The engine is the 3T72 that is very much close to the YM1502 and YM1510. The YM220 and YM226 has the engine type 3T75 that is very much close to the YM1601, YM1602 and YM1610. Both sets of these tractors would be in the range of 20Hp and fun to own.

If I had to look for a US Yanmar, the YM336 would be the deal. That would be a YM3110 or a John Deere JD950.

So, rScotty, do you want us to help keep an eye for something out you way? TYM Yanmar Gray Dealer in WA stopped offering Yanmars and renamed their company TractorsCo.com They offer all the other grays brands still.

/ Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar
That's cool. He just couldn't remember the US model list. (......SNIP......)

So, rScotty, do you want us to help keep an eye for something out you way? TYM Yanmar Gray Dealer in WA stopped offering Yanmars and renamed their company TractorsCo.com They offer all the other grays brands still.

Yes maverick, I'd like that. We would certainly like for folks to keep an eye out for a very clean one. Only the US Yanmars, though. I've got my own reasons for that.....sentimental, not mechanical.

Hey California! It sure has been a while hasn't it!? In an odd coincidence, TBN asked me to confirm my login and password this very evening, noting that I hadn't updated since we started this group as a spin-off from the old Yanmar club back in 2001!! I still get the occasional message from the old group, but usually refer them over to here.

Yes bmaverick, Washington state has alway been a big tractoring warehouse and import location. Thanks for your offer, but again - my interest is strictly in the US models. BTW, here's a weird fact.... but Denver, Colorado is actually closer to your location in Nashville than to the warehouse in Washington. Strange, no?

Getting back to USA imported Yanmars, here's an interesting anecdote:
It was back in late 1980s I think....give or take a few years.....and US Yanmar was not doing well. I remember getting a phone call from my local Yanmar dealer telling me Yanmar was clearing out their warehouse in Washington State and were offering several preferred US models at bargain prices. This was a one-time only buy. Brand new in the crate, no tax, no prep, owner assembly, and no local dealer warranty. Cash on the barrelhead for a new tractor and no obligations. I had just finished HS and was starting into college then (at nearly age 50!) so had no spare cash & had to turn them down....although a YM336D with factory loader and turfs for 12K was a screaming bargain at that or any time IMHO. The local dealer & good friend had been selling that particular confirmation for over 20K and they were sure popular at that price.
Anyway, if that didn't wind your clock, at the same time Yanmar had roughly the same back-room deal going on for some new and unknown-to-us models called the YM147D. These were specified with creeper gears, powershift, and the new rubber-mounted engine we'd been hearing about. Sweet looking machines; the 147D was a model that had been promised but hadn't made it to our local dealer's showroom here. I've always been curious about them. No, I've never seen one to this day, but I still have the factory flyer for that model. And noted with interest that it was it wasn't included on the rather exhaustive list posted earlier.

Hopefully we'll find what we're looking for. A sweetheart. Wish us luck. And after all, there's no rush. We still have a couple of JDs and the Kubota. So there's no real suffering going on here....just enjoyable anticipation.
luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #6  

rScotty - in Colorado
Hello,
I have a clean 155d I have been thinking about letting go (too many little yanmars:) belly mower , front blade as well if interested I have maintained it very well let me know if you might be interested

/ Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #8  
Did you ever buy one?

Here's a YM187D in Northern California. It has a loader, and hydraulic tilt on the 3-point. $5900 or best offer.

Claimed good condition, but bald tires and no upholstery left in the seat pan indicates its been used some.

yanmar 187 D 4x4 w/loader

Same tractor listed again. He's more explicit this time, 'new clutch...'

Hmm. His third listing, in a third regional CL. (All near his remote location). This time he notes 'no pto but can be added'.

And another small Yanmar. These things actually will fit in a pickup, even including a loader. Here's a photo.
(But overpriced at $6,000).

Yanmar 1977 Diesel Tractor w/ Loader

Last edited:
   / Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar
No, I haven't found one. And that is kind of surprising. I think I was a bit out of touch because I sure have been astonished at the prices being asked for old beat up loader tractors. And those ads you refer to are doubly astonishing. Do the beaters really sell that high?

Of course I'm not sure what they are actually selling for, and I'm willing to pay good money for one in good condition - as long as it has power steering, of course....and that doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to find. PS wasn't such an unusual option even back in the YM187D days. But the good condition is a necessity.

The whole thinking behind getting another small tractor is that for the next few years we'll be repairing and re-landscaping from the flood that happended here. As much fun as fixing an old tractor is, I'm thinking this is the time for us to use one, not rebuild one.
In years past I've seen old Yanmars in excellent used condition that were easily worth the asking price, and was hoping to dislodge one of those but so far no luck.
That's OK. The work still gets done. We're still waiting on the weather to warm up so we can plant. We've just about gotten through winter here, although I see there's an inch of snow forecast for today.
rScotty

/ Wanted to buy: small 4wd US Yanmar #10  
But good condition is a necessity.
I don't think there are any left.

80's US models aren't likely to still be in the hands of original owners, or if they are, then they may have been superseded in their original application and left idle for a long time. Or idled when some minor component needed replacement and they never got around to it. 'Run hard and put away wet'.

If sold, in my experience, I've seen too many cases where some subsequent owner hacked things like fuel filter, wiring, grille, even 3-point components as stuff needed replacement and he didn't bother to find original parts. Those Yanmars are inexpensive. I own three of them! $3900 (ten years ago), $3500, $2500. But expect to find disasters like broken components left inside the steering box when it new parts were installed, original fuel filter replaced with one that belongs on a 5hp Briggs & Stratton, etc. Restoration worked for me so long as there was a VN importer/wholesaler nearby where I could buy legitimate components, for the YM240 in particular, to put it back to what should have been on it.

All three of mine run like they should, each just needed work upon purchase to fix minor stuff like ignition switch, difflock, steering box overhaul, etc. They should now run for years without issues. But they look as rough as when I bought them.

For a 30 year old small Yanmar, I don't think there is anything out there between the typical rough units on CL where you should budget some of your cost for restoration, and an extremely rare original-condition unit that is near mythical. The only clean one I've ever found in ten years searching was that YM187D down by Old Denver Airport at $7,000 plus $1,500 shipping.

I agree prices should be a lot less for the little ones. On nearby CL's I've seen YM240 2wd with loader drop to where one will remain unsold for months at $3500. I suspect they eventually sold for under $3,000.