Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have pondered the question of what to purchase... and have found my own knowledge wanting.

I've often found myself in need of a drill press over the last year. I've also decided to purchase one and I began my search, as I do so often, on Craigslist. Since this isn't something for daily use, I thought I would likely be able to find a decent used machine for a reasonable price. Thus far, I haven't found much that I was certain I'd be liking. Of course, anything is better than the nothing I currently have, but that is where I began wondering whether it was so.

After a little researching, I figured, right or wrong, that I'd like a couple things. I wanted at least 1hp and I preferred easy speed control. I figured I'd be using it primarily for work around the farm, but I've also thought I'd like to do some fab work and potentially a little blacksmithing down the road. I'll likely use it occasionally on wood as well.

About the only time I've used one was in woodshop in HS over 30years ago. So, I'm sure the technology has changed at least to some degree since then. But I don't know whether that is better or worse.

What is your recommendation on what I should be looking for, given my above goals? Its not that price is no object, it certainly is, but I don't really have a budget, I just want to get my money's worth, whatever I spend. But, if I'm not going to find something on Craigslist for a decent price, whatever I purchase be it new or used, I want it to be something that will take me 'comfortably' through the rest of my life. Basically, I'd rather pay a little more for something useful, than a little less and be fighting it.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #2  
DO NOT buy a rigid! I have one of their floor models and the chuck wobbled right out of the box. HD said to bring it back and they would give me another one but that the chuck on the new one would most likely wobble :(
I will say one thing for it though it has been tough as nails. I use it to drill steel, 1/8" to 1/2". It just about has a meltdown every time I drill a 1" hole in some 3/8" steel :)
I like the light on it too. It's too bad it wobbles, hardly noticeable with small bits but get up to a half inch and it's noticeable, your mileage may vary.
I have been on the search for an old floor drill press but have yet to find one. I would like a bit lower speed but I think about 250 rpm's is about it unless you get into industrial models.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #3  
I have a Craftsman. Its 3/4 hp and speed is changed by changing drive belt position on pulleys. I've had it 35+ years and about 12 to 15 years ago I got a new chuck for it. Original simply wore out. I use it to drill holes in anything/everything that will fit on the drill table - wood, metal, plastic, fibreglass, rubber etc, etc.

Its not a real heavy unit and it didn't cost a fortune - about $175 - as I remember.

More modern and heavier units have high tech options - digital speed control, tilt ability, ultra slow/ultra fast modes, more exotic modes of clamping work on the drill table, laser control of drilling depth, etc etc.

Around the farm here - I've never found the need for anything fancier than what I currently have.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #4  
I had a bench model drill press for a lot of years, it worked kind of.
A few years ago I ran across an old milling machine and purchased it, I have a few mills and do use it as a milling machine when I need it,
but most of the time it has the drill chuck mounted on it, it works great I have never used a drill press that was better. So that would be my recommendation
a good 1to 2 hp milling machine with a drill chuck.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #5  
When I grew up from about 12 to 22 I had constant access to my Grandfathers Big floor standing drill press. Life was good. Somehow I did not inherit it.
For the last 30 years I've been going to buy a big good one, but being the cheapskate I am I've been holding out for a Powermatic 18" on surplus. I've seen them come and go for under $200, haven't successfully got one YET, probably will. Last year I finally gave up and bought a WEN 8" for $35.

Moral - just go out and buy the HF small one or equivalent and start making holes. Then look for a qood one.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #6  
i too would recommend a milling machine. i got a benchtop mill a couple years ago and sold my drill press. so much more versatile. you won't regret it.

rf45.JPG

Last edited:
   / Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #7  
When I grew up from about 12 to 22 I had constant access to my Grandfathers Big floor standing drill press. Life was good. Somehow I did not inherit it.
For the last 30 years I've been going to buy a big good one, but being the cheapskate I am I've been holding out for a Powermatic 18" on surplus. I've seen them come and go for under $200, haven't successfully got one YET, probably will. Last year I finally gave up and bought a WEN 8" for $35.

Moral - just go out and buy the HF small one or equivalent and start making holes. Then look for a qood one.

Unless the only intended use is drilling 1/4 inch holes in sheet metal you better look for something more substantial. I've got a HF drill press that somebody gave me and that's about the price it's worth. I've got a 14" drill press that I only use in my wood shop. It's adequate for that, but big holes in metal are too much for it. It's rated at 3/4 hp but it pulls 13 amps. It's probably equivalent to what they're calling a 1.5 hp today. The biggest problem isn't lack of speed but lack of gears. A lot of smaller drill presses run 250 rpm or more minimum. That's way too fast for a big hole in metal.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #8  
I have pondered the question of what to purchase... and have found my own knowledge wanting.

I've often found myself in need of a drill press over the last year. I've also decided to purchase one and I began my search, as I do so often, on Craigslist. Since this isn't something for daily use, I thought I would likely be able to find a decent used machine for a reasonable price. Thus far, I haven't found much that I was certain I'd be liking. Of course, anything is better than the nothing I currently have, but that is where I began wondering whether it was so.

After a little researching, I figured, right or wrong, that I'd like a couple things. I wanted at least 1hp and I preferred easy speed control. I figured I'd be using it primarily for work around the farm, but I've also thought I'd like to do some fab work and potentially a little blacksmithing down the road. I'll likely use it occasionally on wood as well.

About the only time I've used one was in woodshop in HS over 30years ago. So, I'm sure the technology has changed at least to some degree since then. But I don't know whether that is better or worse.

What is your recommendation on what I should be looking for, given my above goals? Its not that price is no object, it certainly is, but I don't really have a budget, I just want to get my money's worth, whatever I spend. But, if I'm not going to find something on Craigslist for a decent price, whatever I purchase be it new or used, I want it to be something that will take me 'comfortably' through the rest of my life. Basically, I'd rather pay a little more for something useful, than a little less and be fighting it.

About 25 years ago I bought two (used) floor model tools.
One was a Powermatic band saw - 18"
The other, a Clausing drill press.
Both came from a used tool dealer.
Both are EXCELLENT tools, though I use either of them very little anymore.
There is a U-Tube of a Clausing model 1670 that you might want to view.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #9  
I have two drill presses one is a grizzly bench model (15" 1/2 hp ?) that is semi permanently set up for morticing work. My go to is an old 1950s era craftsman floor model that I inherited from my FIL, it is much quieter than the grizzly which rattles a lot. I also like the old rod style depth gauge on the craftsman, the grizzly has a locking collar on the hub of the press handles that tends to slip ( I really hate stops, fences, etc. that slip - guaranteed to ruin your day)
The craftsman was built back in the era when they built high quality stuff. It is equipped with a half inch chuck, I doubt you could drill much over that through heavy steel. You could make lager holes with a hole saw or fly cutter occasionally. For heavier work a mill/drill would be better.
A good accessory for any drill press is a cross sliding vise.

/ Wanted: First and Last drill press I'll ever own #10  
I've got two old presses, a Craftsman (1/2hp) and a Duro (1/3hp). Both 60-70 years old. Both bench top models. They both have multi-speed intermediate pulleys to achieve a wide range of speeds. The slowest speed on each is under 200 rpm. Using hole cutters the Craftsman will do 1.5" holes in thick steel (3/4 - 1"). The Duro will do 1" holes. (See Duro picture.) Got them off Craigslist for not much money.

Attachments

• craftsmanpress.jpg
    craftsmanpress.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 232
  • g5a.jpg
    g5a.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 267