Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at?

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #1  

sleuth

Silver Member
Tractor
between tractors
I'm looking to buy a new more. I mow roughly 4 acres that is largely flat but has lots of obstacles, trees, garden structures, etc. Definitely want a zero turn. Have been getting by with an old Dixon speed ztr 42"cut for the last few years but I need something bigger and more reliable and durable. Seems like I had to work on it every other week. Also needs to be able to tow a small garden cart and needs a good lighting system for mowing in late evenings.

I'm familiar with all the craftsmans, ytds, simplicity's, toro's, cubs, etc. In the big box stores, but I know the next class of mowers has a lot of brands I've never heard of (scags, ariens, exmarks, etc.) that I know nothing about.

Two questions:
Where's the best place to find deals on zero turn mowers this time of year? I'm looking for the closest thing to commercial grade in a residential price range. Under $4k.

Would like to know what the best brands to look at are.

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #2  
I'm looking to buy a new more. I mow roughly 4 acres that is largely flat but has lots of obstacles, trees, garden structures, etc. Definitely want a zero turn. Have been getting by with an old Dixon speed ztr 42"cut for the last few years but I need something bigger and more reliable and durable. Seems like I had to work on it every other week. Also needs to be able to tow a small garden cart and needs a good lighting system for mowing in late evenings.

I'm familiar with all the craftsmans, ytds, simplicity's, toro's, cubs, etc. In the big box stores, but I know the next class of mowers has a lot of brands I've never heard of (scags, ariens, exmarks, etc.) that I know nothing about.

Two questions:
Where's the best place to find deals on zero turn mowers this time of year? I'm looking for the closest thing to commercial grade in a residential price range. Under $4k.

Would like to know what the best brands to look at are.
Add Ferris ZTR to your list.Buy from a dealer verses big box stores.I think you will find it a struggle to find a decent new commercial ZTR mower for under 4K. You will have to spend in the 5k range unless you find some year end clearance sale.Good luck & happy shopping.

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #3  
I have had a Kubota 18 hp diesel zero turn for over ten years and I still could not be happier with its performance and reliability. It is a real workhorse and the diesel engine is stingy on fuel and produces lots of blade tip speed.

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #4  
Simplicity has one that fits the bill(made on the Ferris line).

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #5  
Maybe go to a TSC and look at the CubCadet ang Big Dog mowers. My perception is that they are ok in that price range.

Also try a Toro dealer (not box store). They may make a basic residential model.

Personally, I would wait till I could spend $5-6k or buy lightly used. Sounds like you know enough to evaluate the used options.

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #6  
I just bought a Hustler zero turn 2 months ago and recommend you consider them. Once you are paying $4K and up, the mowers are good. Its the minor bells and whistles that differ one from the other. I would visit all the local dealers and go with the dealer you like the most. I skipped the big box stores since they do not service and repair their mowers. Checkout what the pro's in your area use, that is a good indicator of quality and reliability.

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #7  
Next time I buy a mower I will have 3 primary requirements:

Soft ride: Airens seems to be king in this field. I added shock absorbing front wheel assys that Hustler offered and no help as they were too stiff to amount to any improvement....$400 wasted on that for the 2 ZTs. Suspension seat wasn't all it was cracked up to be on the DR, another $200 wasted, besides once you jack up the seat 2" to install, it put your legs up against the control bar.

Clean sweep clippings exit: High depth deck to allow extra room for clippings to exit, not compete for the task, Large clippings exhaust opening, smooth interior, no sharp bends and 90 degree corners, ease of washout, which can include front mounted tilting deck......a must for early season mowing and early morning mowing when it's hot. I like the stamped decks for this reason and considering my past history with them, If I tear one up after 10 years and have to spend $500 for a new one (sheet metal only), so be it. That would be the extra $500 I would have spent initially for the fabricated deck.

Width to fit the job: Wide isn't necessarily good. I have been on 42" thru 60" and find that the 42 is perfect for obstacle terrain but slow in wide open spaces and the 60 is just the opposite.

Currently have 4 riding mowers, 2 ZTs: Hustler Fastrak 44" 18 Honda and DR Pro ZT with the 2 position controls (ride or walk behind) 52" BS 22. Both have had zero problems since 2005 purchase.

Modifications:

No springs were supplied with either. I adapted both to Cub Cadet springs, softest ride out there as far as I can tell......saw them on CC mowers at TSC one day on the way into the store and ordered a set for all my mowers.

Multifunction tires. Studded ATV worked out best for all for the multiple task machines, varied terrain up to 30 degree slope, wet grass. www had lots of suppliers and types/dimensions.

Safari type top for DR ( cross braced PVC frame and cloth top) home made.....works great.

/ Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #8  
I have just been through this, but for only 2 ish acres.

I looked at the brands around me that I had to choose from. It would be long to tell you why I didn't go with another brand, but easier to tell you why I went with what I did.

I got a Ferris is2100z
1) RIDE, RIDE, RIDE. Has full suspension. I tried the others and most were like rocks compared to the ferris. Be carefull the 700z doesn't have "full" suspension if you look at that model
2) Deck (ICD deck is great. Similar to Scag if you have seen them). Have a simplicity (lawn tractor). Great cut. Just wasn't built for my yard.
3) Mulch Kit. I'm not bagging nothing, and I don't want to see brown windrows on my lawn. I like it to look like a golf course
4) Built in striping Kit. Not a biggie because you can always add them later.

Check out other sites. ie., lawnmowerform.com or Lawnsite.com Lots of knowledgeable people on those sites.

Sorry.. didn't see the 4k originally posted.

Last edited:
   / Want to upgrade my mower to the next tier? What should i look at? #9  
I am not sure you can get the best quality for that budget. It seems like any mower under $5500 or so will lack something. It is different on different mowers. It might be the frame,warranty,seat,deck,tire size,ride,hydro or motor. I think you need the best deck and hydro you can get. The rest is important as well but less so in my opinion. I also have just been this. I went with the snapper pro s200xt which is in the same family as the Ferris. It is a bit more heavy duty, but I am sure that it does not ride as well. Other than the big box mowers, the only other brand that was close was Husqvarna but some of the cheaper models are nothing special. Lots of choices in $7000 range but trying to get one for a lot less will drive you crazy. The used market has a lot to offer in some cases. It will put a Scag,John Deere or Exmark,Hustler near your budget.