want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ?

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #1  

lastd

Tractor
case IH 245
this would be a gift for friends that needs to ditch the sides of the drive.
He has a box scraper but his sig.other doesn't want him to use it for fear of removing the gravel ON the drive while trying to clean out the ditches . ( drive recently graveled )
Would a middle buster be a good idea, possibly a subsoiler or something else ?
Am googling and looking around and so far those seem like options to look into.
If you can advise would really appreciate it and if so...what size do I need to get ? ( know very little about tractors, obviously )
walmart actually has middle buster and sub soilers that can order online.

This IH is an early 1990's model. Category not sure, 0 or 1 I suppose from what I can gather online.

oh...just found a middle buster subsoiler combo too at
Middle Buster/Sub Soiler Combo Tractor Implement 80111700

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #2  
Posting a picture would be of HUGE value here.

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #3  
My suggestion would still be a box blade. One side of my three point has a threaded turnbuckle for leveling. It can also be used for angling the implement. The box blade can then be used to cut a kind of V on the side of the driveway without touching the driveway at all.

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #5  
Pictures of the driveway he is intending to ditch. I gave up on ditches because they fill with weeds and stuff and finally just crowned to road and made mowable ditches on either side.

Attachments

• Driveway pic 1.JPG
    Driveway pic 1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
   / want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #6  
After seeing the road I would suggest a rear blade. Looks like he already has ditches. He just needs to reshape them a bit. I would pull all the gravel to the center and the work the sides down to the ditch for good runoff. Then level the gravel back out.

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ?
that's not the driveway I speak of , I bet they WISH it was, lol.
Their driveway is long with many winding curves through the woods & up a steep hill for about 1/4 of the way. ( think back country mountain driveway )
Ditches are somewhat deep in some areas... maybe 6 -10 inches, one area in particular is closer to 14-16 inches deep at least.
The ditching / gravel had been previously done by a grading company, he just needs to maintain it to prevent the ditches filling up and rutting out the road again .
They fill up with dirt badly .

Last edited:
   / want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #8  
Might want to consider a good dozer driver to run down both sides to form the crown and shoulders.

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ?
Might want to consider a good dozer driver to run down both sides to form the crown and shoulders.
repete, all that has been done and was part of the " fix" of the driveway by the grading company that also dug the ditches on the side that now need to be kept cleaned out.

Thanks folks for your replies .

/ want to get attachment for a case IH 245 for ditching driveway...what to use ? #10  
Middle buster would not work, since you would have to be so far off the road to straddle the ditch.

If it's leaves and branches, I use a blower that runs off the 3 point hitch. Works great for most of the time. To re-cut the ditch or make them deeper, and off-set rear blade works wonders... both of which are not cheap. They both also work better with hydraulic top and side tilt cylinders so it can be directed into the ditch.