Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush?

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I'm looking for a good brush cutter for slopes and areas where a riding mower and rotary cutter can't safely, or practically, go. Everyone seems to have a *bad* walk behind model, and it would be hard to spend $3,000 given the poor reviews. The best reviewed one seems to be discontinued (Stanley dual hydrostatic with selectable drive to either wheel.)

So, I want a hand held. A little more work but 1/3 the cost and less hassle. To get by, I've been using my Stihl Kombi string trimmer, but I want to upgrade to a unit with "handlebars" for more control. And replaceable blade types for varied conditions and cutting. I still want to buy something Green and Yellow.

Q- Does John Deere have something that competes with a Stihl FS360 or Husqvarna 336FR? Something comparable, or better, from Deere?

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #2  
They don't really sell small outdoor power equipment like that, in fact most Deere dealers have agreements to sell Stihl and Honda OPE products in their showrooms for that part of the market.

Deere used to occasionally re-label other brand OPE but hasn't done that for years.

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #3  
I've found a hand-held trimmer is less work than a walk-behind on my hills. Mine is Echo, and I wouldn't change it.

Bruce

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #4  
I have a Stihl with a changeable head (string/blade) and my Dad's echo (string/edger), Then I have 3 self propelled 24" lawn mowers (mine - Honda, my eldest son's - TroyBuilt, and my Dad's - Snapper). So any slope I have covered.

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush?
I have two needs that I cannot find ideal equipment for. The side of my property slopes and has weeds, not lawn. Although I have mowed it with a traditional mower, if it grows too much it overwhelms the mower. There are many rocks and bumps and using a mower is a workout. But of course if it is waaaay overgrown using a handheld string trimmer is also a workout. The walk behind brush cutter with dual hydro seemed best, but it is discontinued. You could choose which wheel received drive power, making it easier to maneuver when on side hills etc. So for now all I have is my Stihl Kombi string trimmer which works, but I would like something better.

The other issue is irrigation water ditches. These are irregular, varying about 12-18 inches across by a foot or more deep. They run parallel to the fences but away by about 4-6 feet, making that area very difficult to maintain. It's hard to get equipment into "no mans land" between the fence and the ditch. Again, I use my Stihl Kombi string trimmer but it's a big job considering there is about 750' of ditch.

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #6  
I've seen several farms that gave up on trimming irrigation ditches. They put up a second fence and keep a donkey in there.

Bruce

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #7  
There is a tracked walk behind mower sold in the states but I'd need to figure out the name of it. Seems in was a Japanese manufacturer and built for real work. Let me think about it.

/ Want to buy Deere lawn and garden. Something to cut brush? #8  
If I were in your boots, I would look for an older walk behind Gravely tractor with their 30" brush hog. Make sure you look at models with forced lubrication so you can safely operate on slopes. You may decide that they won't work for you, but I would at least look at them hard.