Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
... & I think he would prefer the same. Our new home site (not yet built) is on 60 acres, but the small, only above-flood-plain area is close enough to neighbor that I can see his house pretty easily. I'd like to install or plant something on our side 15'-20' inside the property line that's very natural looking that blocks our views of each other.

Any ideas?

I thought about tall T-posts (12') & field fence with ivy or some other vine to grow & crawl all over it, but that's not really "natural", I don't think, & I'm afraid it'll take over the property; I don't intend to maintain the natural area between us. Or maybe some dense trees could be planted, randomly so as not to look unnatural? If so, any tree suggestions?

10' high or more, with blockage all the way to ground level, would be preferred.

Thank you.

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #2  
We planted Leyland Cypress trees along our fence line on our farm...we bought what are called " Liners " they were only 1 to 2 feet tall and within 4 years they were 5 feet tall and now 8 years later they are over 20 feet tall...very pleased with them and you plant them 6 to 8 feet apart...they grow very quickly and are evergreen...perfect screen for privacy..

Leyland Cypress Trees - Option for Fast-Growing Privacy Screens

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #3  
removed my suggestion for this thread.??

Last edited:
   / Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #4  
Fast growing pine trees??

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #5  
Fast growing pine trees??

Aw,,Yellow pines,, Please don't use them..We have planted plenty of them in the past..They break so easily.. The ones close to my house fill the gutters...Limbs to pick-up daily??But their tangled natural thickets will draw a few deer..So?

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #6  
I did what Brin suggested. Are Leyland Cypress good for Florida, Beppington? If so, you'll have a hard time besting that approach.

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #7  
The use of Privet hedge will create a barrier. about 10 foot tall, in several years with a little fertilizer??

The privet varieties I am familiar with (Chinese and Japanese) are invasive and can create a nightmare down the road. They produce berries that birds spread. The escaped privet then overtakes the understory of wooded areas, crowding out native plants.

Steve

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #8  
1.1288470423.rhododendron-wig.jpg

Warm Climate Rhododendron

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #9  
The use of Privet hedge will create a barrier. about 10 foot tall, in several years with a little fertilizer??

Notice....Anyone wanting Privet Hedge ...Let me know..We consider it an insidious weed, much worse than cudzu....we spray it constantly and kill all we can ..it is taking over much of the Georgia countryside....If you want Privet let me know and you can come dig all you want ...just take the roots and all...

/ Want a "natural" barrier between me & neighbor #10  
Aw,,Yellow pines,, Please don't use them..We have planted plenty of them in the past..They break so easily.. The ones close to my house fill the gutters...Limbs to pick-up daily??But their tangled natural thickets will draw a few deer..So?

I have a bunch of white pines around the house, and YES, they are messy and break easy, clog the gutters, AND make TERRIBLE firewood. BUT, they are a great barrier.

I guess he didnt say how close to the house this barrier was going to be.

If its a neighbor he dont like, and his neighbors house is close to the line, and prevaling winds blow toward the neighbors, PINES may be the BEST:laughing: