Want a MIG welder, but what kind?

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I want to weld light steel and maybe heavy sheet metal and have it look fair.

I have a 220 volt stick welder for much / most of my heavier welding needs but want a toy, basically.

I went to TSC but would I want a flux core wire or do i need a gas or argon setup?

I am not sure if a 110 volt would work well enough for me and was looking at a couple 220 v models. Maybe Lowes or HD might have something worth considering. Any good brand names that won't break the bank?

I only wire welded in tech school, then nada.

Thanks, Chuck

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #2  
I'm a happy camper with my 110/220v Miller 211 but you will be north of a grand. If you already have a stick welder and plan to stay under 1/4in mild steel you can go with a Lincoln 140watt for $550. The 180watt for a little more oomph will be $700.

Search Results for lincoln welder at The Home Depot

I am sure many here will and probably should point you to an Everlast... more bang for the buck and from what I hear, a solid choice.

MIG Welders For Sale - MIG Welding Machines - GWAM Welding - Everlast

Mark from Everlast is a sponsor here and he might be able to do better than on their website. I suggest you PM him if you are interested in Everlast.

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #3  
Hi Chuck. What dragoneggs said would be an excellent starting point.

Good luck.

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #4  
120v isn’t really enough to weld with. I’d get one that can do 240v. MIG, by definition involves gas. I’d spend the extra for one that can use a shielding gas.

You didn’t talk budget so it’s hard to point toward brands. Lincoln, Miller and ESAB are the 3 main ones you see in the USA. But their are others that have a following like Hobart and Everlast- who helps sponsor this site.

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #5  
I just got a new Millermatic 211 dual voltage MIG welder and it packs a punch even on 110V. It’ll weld as thin as 24ga and up to 3/8” on 220V. It’s very versatile because you can use it for thin stuff like auto body or thick stuff like tractor implements. I’m running 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix. My entire setup including welder, new gas bottle, and cart cost about $1400 total. Very pleased with it. IMG_1726.JPG

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #6  
I just got a new Millermatic 211 dual voltage MIG welder and it packs a punch even on 110V. It’ll weld as thin as 24ga and up to 3/8” on 220V. It’s very versatile because you can use it for thin stuff like auto body or thick stuff like tractor implements. I’m running 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix. My entire setup including welder, new gas bottle, and cart cost about $1400 total. Very pleased with it. View attachment 604461
I have the old transformer 211. I wonder if there is a noticeable difference in performance? Obviously the new ones are smaller/lighter.

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #7  
I have a Harbor Freight MIG 170 I think, it's the new "Titanium" branded one, got it at a parking lot sale for cheap and have been beating it up and giving it a workout... been running .030" flux core on 110V and 220V and honestly you would be very surprised at the weld quality on 110V... I've had one of the 90A 110V flux core welders for almost 10 years and have managed to make some decent welds with it but this Titanium guy puts it to shame, as it should actually being DC :)

Not pushing the brand, I'd go name brand if I could but this inverter welder thing is pretty nice.

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #8  
as far as flux core or gas it depends on what you are going for... flux core has better penetration, works better outside and obviously doesn't require dragging a tank around but has a lot of spatter and a less sightly weld. Using gas you get a cleaner weld and no or minimal spatter.

I have yet to buy a tank for my welder, and being a little suitcase unit is handy to be on flux core, I welded on my brothers wheel gun a couple months ago with my 4kW generator in the field (literally) and I took it camping and 3 people used it on generators fixing wheeling rigs...

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #9  
Been welding with a Lincoln SP100 for 26 years. I haven't found ANYTHING made of steel I couldn't weld with it. Heavy stuff needs proper preparation and multiple passes but you can make it as good as it needs to be. I did put a dedicated 25 amp circuit in my garage for it since most household stuff is only 15 amps and have multiple outlets on them.

I think you will be much happier to go ahead with a shielding gas setup. Flux core wire will be a dirty weld. Probably more so than your stick welder. At least the stick has the flux on the outside of the filler material. With the flux in the core you will get gas holes.

/ Want a MIG welder, but what kind? #10  
There has never been a question asked more often than "which is best for me". Let's skip all the dialog and waltzing,buy a Milliermatic 211,cart,25/75 bottle and spool gun. If you EVER find something a 120v Harbor Freight does that your MM211 can't,I'll be first in line to buy the HF for you and take the MM211 off your hands.