WalMart Shoplifting

/ WalMart Shoplifting #121  
In the inner city... it was like a revolving door... new markets would go in and wouldn't last a year... simply to much shrinkage and slip and fall suits... now it has spread to "Better" areas.

On that point, and reading through this thread, reminded me of a conversation a long time back (circa 1990) with a guy I worked with. He was describing a driving trip stateside with a friend of his; they went to buy beer. Stopped at 711 (or equivalent) store. His buddy goes up to the door (daytime), it won't open. Had to use a high-security large turnstile on the front of the store - say what you want on the intercom, drop money in, wait for the turnstile to rotate back with the case of beer and change.

At first, they thought it was a scam, never ever having seen a store like that. They got their beer, but laid down tracks fast out of that neighbourhood....

There can be issues at the delivery-end, but that is another advantage Amazon has - no customer physically on premises to cause trouble amongst product on-offer.

Rgds, D.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #122  
As long as they go that far, they should remove the checkout lanes altogether since a cashier could injure themselves bagging items. Just prop the doors open and let people come in and clear the shelves.

Sounds like a Bernie Sanders promise!

/ WalMart Shoplifting #123  
A few years ago I went to the store in town and loaded 3 50 lb bags of corn in my pickup and left??? Got down the road a mile and said WTH you didn't pay for it. Drove back and paid.

Many years ago I paid for something, I don't remember what with a 10 spot and the girl give me change for a 20. I said I gave you a 10, not a 20. We argued and she said she knows what she doing and finally I said ok and left.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #124  
I like the mommies who pick up a bag of grapes and let their brats eat them throughout the store then pay by the pound for the leftovers.

I saw an older lady rifle through strawberries in 1# container picking the best ones out of a dozen boxes and making her 1# boxes plum full. I couldn't believe it. The next person who grabs a box will be light a few berries.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #125  
On that point, and reading through this thread, reminded me of a conversation a long time back (circa 1990) with a guy I worked with. He was describing a driving trip stateside with a friend of his; they went to buy beer. Stopped at 711 (or equivalent) store. His buddy goes up to the door (daytime), it won't open. Had to use a high-security large turnstile on the front of the store - say what you want on the intercom, drop money in, wait for the turnstile to rotate back with the case of beer and change.

At first, they thought it was a scam, never ever having seen a store like that. They got their beer, but laid down tracks fast out of that neighbourhood....

There can be issues at the delivery-end, but that is another advantage Amazon has - no customer physically on premises to cause trouble amongst product on-offer.

Rgds, D.

This reminds me of a recent news item -- Philadelphia has apparently passed a bill that would regulate the use of bulletproof glass in some corner food stores -- Philly Votes to Regulate Bulletproof Glass in Corner Stores - Hit & Run : Reason.com.

Screenshot 2018-01-26 at 6.08.26 PM.png

Steve

Note to self

Forget clerking at a corner food store in Philadelphia as a second career.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #126  
A few years ago when I wa about 18-20 or so I pumped my gas at a gas station and was in the way so I pulled ahead to get my car out of the way. I went inside and bought something else.

A MONTH LATER I WENT BACK TO THAT GAS STATION AND THE WORKER ASKED IF I DROVE OFF a while back. I said I didn't because I didn't think I did. After I left I got to thinking that maybe I did drove off unintentionally. I could have because there was so much going on in that busy little station. Oh well. I was more aware after that.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #127  
I like honesty, no theft, no corruption, and the rest That's the way I live and raised my kids. BUt I am not going to get bent out of shape if someone steals from Walmart or Homedepots. Those companies are already shaking the consumer down, underpaying their employees and shifting the food stamp/healthcare burdens on us.

A Mom and Pop store is different. Our local stores go out of their way to be as fair and helpful as possible. Our hardware/gas/deli/grocery store 3 miles away is willing to extend credit to people in need. Theft in that store is something I would report and I've never seen it.

The box stores put our neighborhood stores out of business. You reap what you sow.

Years ago I saw a teenager given jail time for stealing a pair of socks. He refused to give his name and address - either he was homeless or figured if his parents got involved he would be beat.

Pentagon can't account for 20 trillion since 1998 - steal some socks you go to jail. What a world.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #128  
Steve

Note to self

Forget clerking at a corner food store in Philadelphia as a second career.

Like me, my wife is not much of a shopper either. (Yeah, that was my lottery-win :) ).

For a long time, I've been joking with the wife about Combat Shopping. I should probably stop joking about things......

Nutella riots: A brief history of shopping scraps - BBC News

Nutella ? When I first heard a reference to that story, I thought it was a joke ! :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #129  
Like me, my wife is not much of a shopper either. (Yeah, that was my lottery-win :) ).

For a long time, I've been joking with the wife about Combat Shopping. I should probably stop joking about things......

Nutella riots: A brief history of shopping scraps - BBC News

Nutella ? When I first heard a reference to that story, I thought it was a joke ! :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

OK, what is Combat Shopping?

Daughters used to Power Shop, I sat in the car for that. But Combat Shopping??

/ WalMart Shoplifting #130  
OK, what is Combat Shopping?

Daughters used to Power Shop, I sat in the car for that. But Combat Shopping??

This is when a shopper is willing to do combat with fellow shoppers to acquire scarce retail goods. Much like the idiots that shop on "black Friday' and push shove and get into fights with other shoppers. I make it a point to NEVER EVER shop on any such days.