Walmart eggs that taste like FISH!

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Yuck, we made breakfast this morning. I asked my wife if she thought the eggs were "off" tasting and she agreed. I was thinking to myself that they tasted like fish and asked her what she thought they tasted like. Without any prompting from me she said "they taste fishy". We fed them to the dogs and I'm still pretty grossed out.

I did a quick search of the web and found a post in a different forum that said the same thing about eggs from walmart. Guess I'm not crazy after all.

Does anyone think it's because of oyster shell feed?

We're going to try and get a free range operation going in the spring.

Kevin

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #2  
<font color="blue"> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! )</font> </font>

Maybe they are fish eggs ??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Find a local health food store and see if they have some free range chicken eggs.

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #3  
I know one place that I won't be buying any eggs from, yuck!

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #4  
That's one I've never heard before, and we've been buying our eggs from Wal-Mart for just about a year now.

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH!
They are Grade A Large Brown eggs. Packed fro Midwest Poultry Services L.P. Mentone, IN

Besides tasting like fish they smell of fish when cracked too. I bet they were feeding the chickens fishmeal. I've found websites that recommend fishmeal for broilers but not for laying hens yet.

I think oyster shells are supplemented for better egg shells if I remember right. We used to feed our laying hens oyster shells when I was a kid but never had this problem.

Kevin

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #6  
Well, we only buy the grade A large white eggs, so maybe that's the difference.

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #7  
It should only be a localized problem. A supplier normally only supplies one warehouse. So it should be a regional thing. It they are made aware of it, they will fix it.

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #8  
I ran this by Wifey, who spent 30-some years in the poultry business. Oyster shells are fed to the hens as a source of calcium. It helps strengthen the egg shells as the hens get older, and the shells get thinner. They aren't the cause.

The more likely reason for the odor/taste is someone stored them near fish (or something spoiled that smells like fish). Eggshells are porous, and pick up things like that fairly easily. The egg cases they used had a warning about storing the eggs with smelly things, and even had a fish with the circle with a slash through it.

Heck, they could have been on a truck with a mixed cargo. A little bit of fish juice dripping on a cardboard egg case could go a long way.......................chim

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH! #9  
It's called cavier silly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Remeber Tom Hanks in "Big"

Thanks for the tip no Walmart eggs for me.

/ Walmart eggs that taste like FISH!
Chim, I realize that about the oyster shells as I mentioned in my second post. I also believe the taste comes from the fishmeal and I have done a little more research on that.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4628E/y4628e04.htm
<font color="red">
Feed. Egg quality and composition derive primarily from what a layer is fed. In terms of taste, for example, eggs laid by hens fed on fishmeal will have a "fishy" taste. The type of feed will also influence the shell of an egg and the colour of the yolk. Layers must be kept away from certain plant foods if egg colour defects are to be avoided. These may include cottonseed meal and the foliage of the sterculiaceae and malvaceae such as mallow weed. </font>

I'm sure many producers use fishmeal in their chicken's diets but these eggs tasted extremely fish, so much so that we will be throwing them out and probably letting the store manager know about it.

Kevin