Walking on a barn roof

/ Walking on a barn roof #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I have a leak in my barn and finally figure out it is the peak of the cupola where the weathervane attaches to it. I climbed out one of the dormer windows today to check it out but the area near the cuploa was a bit slippery and too steep for my liking. Any ideas for a safe way to get up there?

I'm not sure of the pitch but here is a side view picture...
IMG_6390.jpg

And the cupola...
IMG_6389.jpg

/ Walking on a barn roof #2  
I just had my barn roof painted last week and the painter used a ladder and a safety rope. Ken Sweet

/ Walking on a barn roof #3  
Bucket truck. Or, a few friends with a lot of rope and a safety harness along with gummy shoes.

Or, better: hire it out.

/ Walking on a barn roof #4  
I would rent a lift from Home Depot for that job. Last one I rented was $185 for 24 hours. Maybe you have some other jobs, tree trimming, etc. that you could do while you had the lift.

/ Walking on a barn roof #5  
Tie a safety rope off on the other side to hang on to and wear some gummy shoes. Just don't tie it to a vehicle that your wife might get into a drive away like a fellow I heard about once.

If you are as old as I am, though, you need to have somebody else do it.

/ Walking on a barn roof #6  
Might be good idea to have ground person..keep rope tight,tools etc.mostly safety.

May take little time,I would place ladder on both roof pitches also connect them together plus safety rope for myself to ground person.

/ Walking on a barn roof #7  
One other idea would be to have a tree guy come out and caulk it. One should do that for cheaper than a rental.

I do arbor work on occasion. A ladder to the roof, a rope thrown over the roof...some ascenders, (Jumars or sliding hitch), attached to the line and saddle, (safety harness), and away you go. Should be no problem for a tree climber with their specialized gear.

In fact...I'm surprised many of you guys have never gotten the itch to climb stuff in your lifetime. Mine developed as a kid from climbing trees. All sorts of applications if you have a little bit of knowledge and equipment.

/ Walking on a barn roof #8  
One other idea would be to have a tree guy come out and caulk it. One should do that for cheaper than a rental.

I do arbor work on occasion. A ladder to the roof, a rope thrown over the roof...some ascenders, (Jumars or sliding hitch), attached to the line and saddle, (safety harness), and away you go. Should be no problem for a tree climber with their specialized gear.

In fact...I'm surprised many of you guys have never gotten the itch to climb stuff in your lifetime. Mine developed as a kid from climbing trees. All sorts of applications if you have a little bit of knowledge and equipment.

My desire to climb stuff was trumped by me dislike of falling off stuff.

/ Walking on a barn roof #9  
Should/could take several of these suggestions, but also could make a temporary wood platform that matches the roof pitch, and straddles the ridge. Include a short ladder (for steps) up from the lower pitch that you can walk on from the dormer. Say about 2' wide and will fit on both sides, and long enough to reach the front and back.

/ Walking on a barn roof #10  
I would tie one end of a long rope around my waste and then toss it over the roof of the barn at the other end tie the rope to a truck bumper with a well trusted friend inside The vehicle when you wanna go up, have you friend drive foreward when you wanna go back have you friens go backwards. nice and simple.