Wafer Board or Plywood?

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #11  
I have 4x8 sheets on my barn walls in a few areas to hold tools. Most of my tools with handles have holes drilled through them so the can hang on nails. I use 12D or 16D nails, clip off the heads, and drive them into 1/8" pre-drilled holes. They hold well even for the heavier stuff like sledge hammers or mattocks. I use plywood because it seems to hold the nails better.

/ Wafer Board or Plywood?
I have 4x8 sheets on my barn walls in a few areas to hold tools. Most of my tools with handles have holes drilled through them so the can hang on nails. I use 12D or 16D nails, clip off the heads, and drive them into 1/8" pre-drilled holes. They hold well even for the heavier stuff like sledge hammers or mattocks. I use plywood because it seems to hold the nails better.

Thanks for the ideas sure is lot cheaper then the big box store fancy doo-dads...simple is good...:thumbsup:

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #13  
Not sure what the panels will be holding...but do a test...run a #8 wood screw through a scrap piece of 1/2 of both wafer board and plywood and see which is easier to pull out with a claw hammer

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #14  
Thanks for all the replies.
So yes I plan on laying down a sole plate with the Styrofoam barrier first then setting the panels on top of it.
I did learn form all this that OSB is not much more stout then in days past.
One can hang items off of OSB and it will hold up. I had a mental picture of screws eventually ripping out with age and the weight.
<snip>
Go with 3/4

1/2 inch think material is not a lot to be hanging items such as pick axe and other heavier tools on. Your fasteners are likely to be affected due to the leverage of the tools hanging out so far versus the thin material.

Look at 3/4 inch plywood.

If your going to use a wafer board product look at the ones made for sub flooring. Their more dense and more water resistant and less likely to start 吐laking at a later date. They also have a fairly smooth surface on one side for flooring being applied later which is nice for your tool rack also.
Big box store plywood may have voids under the surface. GOOD OSB, like Advantech
is SOLID, almost like Marine plywood.

There have been several report on here on it's ability to withstand moisture.

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #16  
From my experience the OSB should work fine. I put it on the lower 8 feet of my walls and use deck screws at a slight angle to hang my tools. I also know where the girts are behind the OSB for heavy items. In the picture with the tractor just to the left of the electric panel I have a pick hanging near the top edge of the OSB. The OSB I cut to protect the floors from the tractor chains is 6 years old now and I can get another year out of them. The get pretty wet when the snow melts off the tractor in the winter.

P6130098.JPG PC050155.JPG

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #17  
NICE lookin shop Joey!!!
BUT.. tell us about that paper towel holder.. I've never seen anything like it.. Thanks.

/ Wafer Board or Plywood?
From my experience the OSB should work fine. I put it on the lower 8 feet of my walls and use deck screws at a slight angle to hang my tools. I also know where the girts are behind the OSB for heavy items. In the picture with the tractor just to the left of the electric panel I have a pick hanging near the top edge of the OSB. The OSB I cut to protect the floors from the tractor chains is 6 years old now and I can get another year out of them. The get pretty wet when the snow melts off the tractor in the winter.

View attachment 551104 View attachment 551106

Sweet..:D
That's the ticket!
Exactly what I had in mind....you seem to live on the edge though huh.....that paper holder maybe close to overloading the wall so careful it don't fall on your foot... :laughing:

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #19  
If it can be seen in the final job, I will not use OSB. Personally I think it just looks too cheap. I remember when plywood became popular. We all thought, what junk. And then OSB. Eeee!

/ Wafer Board or Plywood? #20  
I have 3/8" plywood on my shop walls. I hang lots of stuff from nails and screws and have not had anything pull out. I only mount shelves directly to the 2x4 standards which are set on 16" centers though and they get heavily loaded sometimes. I have used nails with the head clipped but most of my tools hang from # 6 or #8 screws.