Volvo vs Kubota vs Bobcat mini excavators

/ Volvo vs Kubota vs Bobcat mini excavators #31  
Haoleguy I have had Auto idle on 121-3 and I have it on 161-3 it is a nice feature I would say that when we are using the machine the auto idle always kicks in so I assume it is saving fuel. On the rubber track vs steel track my excavators have all been steel track and I would not go any other way for my applications. I have two rubber track multi terrrain loader that have ASV track system they have been very reliable however I am always watching for large rock I just do not have the confidence in rubber tracks like I have on the steel tracks.I know a few guys who have rubber track on there excavator and they like them,they work on pavement alot.

/ Volvo vs Kubota vs Bobcat mini excavators
I test drove a KX121-3 with auto idle yesterday (see new thread comparing it to the Volvo EC35) and to auto idle wasn't working. The throttle lever of the smaller KX71 is a dial on the larger machine, but it was all or nothing. Turned to the left it idled, but turn it just a bit to the right and it was full throttle; there was no in-between. The dealer checked it out and said that wasn't supposed to do that.

After my test ride he fired up another KX121 to show me how the AI worked. On that mini ex the throttle dial worked very smoothly thru the arc of the dial, but it was just like a regular throttle. When I put it at 2k rpm and moved the controls nothing changed. I thought from reading the brochure that the way AI was supposed to work is the moment you let go of the controls the machine was supposed to go to an idle. How does it work for you, Toy1?

While at the Volvo dealer I asked to see their rental units (they are huge in rentals in this part of the state) and noticed every single one had rubber, even the huge excavators. When I pointed this out they said they love the rubber tracks, that their rental customers use the units hard and they've never had a set fail or get cut up. The only unit they have with steel tracks is a 90,000# monster. I also noticed their tread pattern on the rubber tracks is much more aggressive than Kubota's, which would be good for me in the woods.

When I asked the same question at the Kubota dealer they had both rubber and steel in their rental fleet and while neither has failed, they prefer rubber because the steel tracks hold a lot of mud that always makes a mess in the service department.

So I still haven't decided which excavator to get, but I know I'll be going with rubber. And to complicate things, while I was getting quotes a friend showed up to buy a new bucket and suggested I save some $ by buying his little KX71-3 (the same one I borrowed last year) and borrow his KX121-3 for the jobs too big for the 71 to handle.

Sounds like a good deal, but I'm torn. The 71 is a nice machine and big enough for 75% of what I want to do, plus is trailerable with my 3/4 ton Chevy. But if he moves away and I don't have access to the 121 anymore I'll be stuck with a too small machine.

And any idea what a used KX71-3 with a hydraulic thumb and open canopy is worth? Two years old, 300 hours on the unit (100 hours from me), still in pretty good shape. The dealer offered him $18k in trade which wasn't much so he kept it. How much should I offer? I was thinking $22.5k. Brand new it would run about $33k.

Pete

/ Volvo vs Kubota vs Bobcat mini excavators #33  
The idle on my 161 has a switch on the control panel that turn in on and off so you can run it either way. With auto idle on the the second you touch any control lever button or drive lever it will rev up to the setting you dialed into the engine speed control. Once you stop moving any control level for 3 to 4 seconds the auto idle will then reduce the engine rpm it does this very effectively. It is a nice feature I can only assume it reduces fuel consumption. I had a 121-2 for a few years and it did not have auto idle I found my self manually reducing the speed control all the time. On the steel tracks vs rubber there was a post by someone who converted from rubber to steel I believe he was from Canada? It might be nice to get his input.

/ Volvo vs Kubota vs Bobcat mini excavators #34  
toy1 said:
On the steel tracks vs rubber there was a post by someone who converted from rubber to steel I believe he was from Canada? It might be nice to get his input.

I believe that it is me who you are talking about.

I hesitate to add anymore to the steel verses rubber with out Pete(Boondox) asking. I gave my opinion on another thread, and to add more would make it appear I am pushing my ideas down your throat...so to speak. If more info is required or wanted, speak and you shall receive. Otherwise I am "on the side":D on that issue.