Vineyard hiller build thread

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #1  

UncleW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 26 xl
I’ve gotten advice on some of the design elements & thought I’d show my sorta good enuf build

I was trying to build a 3pt attachment that would let me hill up around my grape vines to cover the graft union for winter. I stole this design from Michigan State U

IMG_2563.jpeg

Two hiller discs to toss up soil, a coulter disc down the center to offset (some) of the steering torque from the hiller disc and a gauge wheel (cause it seemed like a good idea)

I was planning to oxy acetylene braze & weld this, but the temperatures have been in the 20’s and the acetylene went south for the winter. My neighbor had a 1970’s vintage Forney plug and play 220v arc machine that I brought back to life & I decided to teach myself to arc weld. 7018, I found out, doesn’t run well on old AC machines, so I wasted a day and a half learning how to grind out stuck rods. I finally got 6013 to light up and made a bunch of awful looking, but probably good enuf welds. Then the weather went worse and no way I was going to use his Forney outside where the plug is. Bought a Hone brand inverter welder on Amazon for $75 and a 5lb box of 6013 and finished it up. Suprisingly nice welds (for me) on 110v 90 Amp 3/32 rod. Hate the weld pool on 6013, but the farm store didn’t have much else.

The contraption attaches to a 3PT 2” receiver hitch that I use for my sprayer. Tubing is 2” square 1/4” wall

Tube frame is mounted to the front tool bar with 2 1/2” 3/16” wall welded into a cross shape with 1/2” captive nuts. Nuts were Grade 8 until I welded them.

IMG_2570.jpeg

Hiller discs and toolbar mounts were from Tilmor

Coulter disc was a bit of a challenge. I couldnt find a cheap ag hub, so I bought a scratch and dent 4 on 4” bolt circle trailer off ebay. Coulter disc was also ebay, but bolt circle was metric and not even close. Drill a 4” bolt circle, I said! Hadnt thought of it, but discs are probably Rockwell 50. And then work harden as you drill them. Ended up spot annealing and drilling with a cobalt bit. Also not easy to lay out a 4” bolt circle on something with a big hub hole in the center. Ended up welding up the hole and redrilling. Not saying how many times

IMG_2564.jpeg

Had to use something from the boneyard, so coulter mount is from the neighbors scrap pile. IH plow shank should be plenty strong ;-) but welding to 1” plate with 3/32” rod is not recommended

IMG_2566.jpeg

Overall, it sorta works. There are about 2000 ways to adjust it and I haven’t found the sweet spot (I hope)

Two current problems:

1). It’s hard to steer accurately when you’re 6” away from wiping out a vine. Coulter doesnt completely eliminate torque steer and I’m not all that good at steering 3pt implements that go whichever way the steering wheel isn’t pointed. Have about a mile of rows to do, so not a big deal to drive forward 50 yards and back up 10 to straighten out. Must ponder

2)Chickens. We free range our flock of a couple dozen (depending on how many the coyotes have taken off). As soon as the hear a diesel motor, they figure that I’m going to turn over some worms and they mob the tractor. They will try to peck stuff of the hiller disc, run under the tractor while its moving. Must remember to lock up

IMG_2563.jpeg

It’s been a fun build, I sorta learned out how to arc weld and drill hard metal, and I have a toolbar setup to use for a contraption to unhill the vines in the spring and weed the rows in the summer. Thanks to all the folks who offered advice!

Attachments

• IMG_2564.jpeg
    IMG_2564.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
   / Vineyard hiller build thread #2  
Nice. FYI the rod you need is 7018AC (specifically says AC at the end) for use on - you guessed it - AC welders. Easy to find at farm or welding stores.

Another thought - have you tried steering with the split brakes? Seems like that might work better for this, but just a guess on my part...

/ Vineyard hiller build thread
Thanks for the 7018 AC tip. Harbor Fright said their 7018 was good for AC and DCEP. But they must have been thinking of more modern AC welders with higher OCV and maybe higher frequency(?). Looks like even Home Depot has 7018 AC rod so I’ll try some. I don’t plan to keep it in a rod oven—if I’m not worried about hydrogen embrittlement, can I just keep it in a closed container and put it in a low oven for a bit before I use it?

I did try steering with the brakes this afternoon. Made a big difference, but I was kinda uncoordinated. Need to practice on an end row! Tractor has wet brakes, didnt know if they were like a motorcycle clutch (slip em all you want) or whether dragging them for a couple of miles would be a bad thing

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #4  
Everyone will tell you that unless you are doing code work, you don't need to dry 7018 in an oven. I have heard it supposedly works even better when you start warm, but I haven't stick welded in years now as I use MIG or TIG for everything I end up doing. So just keep it dry and sealed up, relatively, and you will be fine.

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #5  
Do you have a tiller..?? I'm thinking making a shallow pass may work up enough "cream" for the disc's to throw dirt easier with less resistance, yet the center coulter should still hold it pretty much in place.

When I raise potatoes I cultivate 2"-3" deep then hill them up with a 3 pt. hiller I adapted to Fast Hitch for my little Farmall 140. It makes some nice finer dirt for the discs to throw. Just a thought. I picked these hilling discs up at Tilmore, actually went to the factory/ parts warehouse to pick them up. A great family owned/operated business. I just stopped in to buy these two hilling discs and ended up getting the grand tour of the whole facility. One of the owners came in when I was cashing out and was pretty chatty. Very personable people. If you ever get the chance, stop in and see them. Heck they may even have some ideas to help you out. Your idea may give them an idea for a new attachment.

Two other things. 1. Wondering if making the stem for the straight coulter to have a limited pivot so as to allow you to steer, but not enough to kick sideways. Making it like 30º max. to 0º adjusted with bolts somehow. Again, one of those things you'd have to experiment with to find that sweet spot. 2. Another gauge wheel on the hiller disc side to keep it at a desired depth. Can't help but think with the gauge wheel just on one side, plus the straight coulter, when riding on those two, it will cause the frame to pivot on the straight coulter causing the hiller disc to bite in more with the draft pulling down from the curvature of the disc. Just something I'm pondering seeing it setting there static.

Attachments

• 20220618_175258.jpg
    20220618_175258.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220618_175917.jpg
    20220618_175917.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44
   / Vineyard hiller build thread #6  
I tip my hat to you for the whole project,you did well. Most row crop implements require "stabilizers" to prevent/minimize the exact problem you are experiencing. I've seen many tractor from the factory that don't have pins for stabilizers but the brackets and pins are radially available. There's dozens of ways but the exact system below is what 90% of experienced operators use on 50 horse and below. One or both bars can be replaced by chain but to do so requires studier mounting points on tractor because bars share load whereas one chain is always carrying 100% of side force.
It's a little late now but every inch farther back load is from tractor the worse this problem becomes. The 2" reciever is handy but will never be as good as 3 point on implement. I would use a quick hitch adapter on my tractors in a heartbeat were it not for problems created by moving implements farthar back.
I don't have 1% of experience with welding as I do with tractors but I know that 7018 is one of if not the most difficult to maintain arc so is less desirable for beginners. The ONLY reason people reccomend 7018 is that's what pipe welders in the Americas use after 6010 root so folks think it must be the very best. Truth is "something" must be speced and in Europe that "something" is often 6013 for pipeline. Gawd I miss Shield-arc ,may he rest in peace.
1701894009743.png

Thanks for the kind words and advice. It doesnt show well in my pics, but the 2” receiver is mounted on the 3 point so the front tool bar barely clears the 3 pt arm.

Glad you brought it up—If I’m reading your thought right, I did have problems with sway side to side when I made my first run. I ended up putting a hitch stabilizer U bolt thing from HF. Also tightened up the turnbuckles on the 3 pt arms with a wrench instead of fingers like I usually do. It’s pretty solid side to side now

But I wasnt sure if you were talking about another kind of stabilizer. I’m newish to tractors

I’d like a quick hitch as well, but my 3pt will barely pick up the disc harrow as it is.

I usually do my metal work with old school oxy-acetylene. My reference book is from Linde copyright 1947. Have another one from 1921. I love watching the puddle. And I find brazing is plenty strong for 99% of stuff as long as you build up a fillet like a bicycle frame

Do you have a tiller..?? I'm thinking making a shallow pass may work up enough "cream" for the disc's to throw dirt easier with less resistance, yet the center coulter should still hold it pretty much in place.

When I raise potatoes I cultivate 2"-3" deep then hill them up with a 3 pt. hiller I adapted to Fast Hitch for my little Farmall 140. It makes some nice finer dirt for the discs to throw. Just a thought. I picked these hilling discs up at Tilmore, actually went to the factory/ parts warehouse to pick them up. A great family owned/operated business. I just stopped in to buy these two hilling discs and ended up getting the grand tour of the whole facility. One of the owners came in when I was cashing out and was pretty chatty. Very personable people. If you ever get the chance, stop in and see them. Heck they may even have some ideas to help you out. Your idea may give them an idea for a new attachment.

Two other things. 1. Wondering if making the stem for the straight coulter to have a limited pivot so as to allow you to steer, but not enough to kick sideways. Making it like 30º max. to 0º adjusted with bolts somehow. Again, one of those things you'd have to experiment with to find that sweet spot. 2. Another gauge wheel on the hiller disc side to keep it at a desired depth. Can't help but think with the gauge wheel just on one side, plus the straight coulter, when riding on those two, it will cause the frame to pivot on the straight coulter causing the hiller disc to bite in more with the draft pulling down from the curvature of the disc. Just something I'm pondering seeing it setting there static.
Funny you should mention a tiller…
I have a 20yr old big Honda tiller. I used it in the summer to till a strip on either side of my vines so I only had to string trim 12” in the center. Was hoing to do just what you said. A pulley bearing wore out in the belt drive and Honda no longer makes the part. No NOS either. Have to machine one

I think you are right on loosening up the soil first. The soil is mostly coming up in big clods (it’s a bit too wet). I have an 1970’s vintage Burch disc harrow that I cut down to 5’ wide so it would fit down the rows. Last year, I tried reversing the discs on the rear gangs so they would throw dirt outward. The X angles of the gangs weren’t right, so I couldn’t hill well enough

The only reason I have’t put it on yet is laziness. I haven’t made any provisions for parking my hiller contraption and it will probably fall over when I take it off the 3 point and I wont be able to get it back on. But, thanks to your advice, I’ll make the effort to disc it up with the Burch. Only thing I’m worried about is losing the traction that the grass provides when I’m hilling

I’m too far away from Tilmor to visit, but I did email them. I wanted to build a cheaper version of their $4,000 vineyard finger weeder for next summer They made a quick sketch and gave me part numbers for spyder tillers and brackets, etc. Great folks

I tried your idea on steering the straight coulter. I Could move it about 10 deg by shimming the plow mount with a stack of washers. Much better. I think about how to steer if further

I appreciate the advice from somebody who know dirt way better than I do!

/ Vineyard hiller build thread #9  
Good luck..!!

I think you set me and my hiller straight, so to speak
I got out the ancient Burch disc.
IMG_2572.jpeg

Which took a while due to all the stuff that was abandoned in front of it. There was also an incident involving an air wrench and an NC nut on an NF u bolt

I was asking my little hiller to do the work of a big plow. I think if I run the Burch a couple times with a steep angle on the front gang and straight ahead on the rear, it will reduce the size of the clods. Then let them dry out in the sun for a day or two and Burch them again

By then it will be cream of soil and the hiller can toss it around without as much side force

I’ll update in a few days after nature has done her work