Vinegar coolant system flush?

/ Vinegar coolant system flush? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I poured straight vinegar into the empty radiator and ran the engine through two heating cycles before dumping the flush.. (red residue evident?)

My tap water is a bit alkaline. How many "flushes" with tap water will it take to "neutralize" the acidic vinegar? \

If the answer comes to you,

"How many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house? " ;-)

by the way, the visible portion of the cooler fill opening looks much the better for the vinegar flush!

/ Vinegar coolant system flush? #2  
Distilled water is what I use for the final flush on cooling systems, especially in diesels.
Too many minerals in tap water, I would do at least 3, prefer all with distilled but if nothing else at least the last one with distilled water.

/ Vinegar coolant system flush? #3  
I'd start with one flush with baking soda in the water, maybe a quarter cup. Then proceed with distilled water as TMGT recommends.

/ Vinegar coolant system flush? #4  
Also not sure what you were going to use for coolant but I would recommend the Peak Fleetcharge, it's designed for diesels and it's low silicate, I'm slowly switching all my diesel equipment over to it as service is needed.

Last edited:
   / Vinegar coolant system flush?
Why baking soda when I know the tap water is PH in the positive. (i have run over 200 gallons of tropical fish aquarium. I know my tap water. ;-)

You might know that distilled water becomes acidic on contact with the CO2 in the air. No better than De Ionized water in the end.

I'd start with one flush with baking soda in the water, maybe a quarter cup. Then proceed with distilled water as TMGT recommends.

A quarter cup of "baking soda" in a 3/4 gallon system is A LOT OF BAKING SODA!

/ Vinegar coolant system flush? #8  
You might know that distilled water becomes acidic on contact with the CO2 in the air. No better than De Ionized water in the end.
It's not as much the acidity, it's the minerals and other deposits in tap water (especially well water) that are the problem.

It's not as much the acidity, it's the minerals and other deposits in tap water (especially well water) that are the problem.

I use the water from the de humidifier for engine coolant needs. Filtered of "dust", it seems a great match for "aluminium based" systems.

Caustic based systems applied to cast iron just makes sooooo much sense!

/ Vinegar coolant system flush? #10  
Might be ok if you you a very fine filter, is this a diesel you're currently working on?