Viewing photos in posts

/ Viewing photos in posts #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I notice that when someone has more than one photo in a post, to view the next photo you have to click on it then the photo opens in the same window that the thread was being viewed in. To view the next photo you have to back up to the post then click on the next photo which opens the same way as the first.

On other forums running the same software (vBulletin), I can click on the first photo which then opens in a resizable popup window, and I can navigate to the next photo by clicking on the forward/back buttons within that window. To return to the thread you click the close button and the popup window closes and you are right back where you started. You can even move focus back to the first window and scroll through the thread whilst viewing the photos in the second window as you read a lengthly thread maybe. It all works very nicely.

I don't know if this functionality comes from some add-on to vBulletin used on the other site, but if it is it is seamless and invisible to the user and works very well.

/ Viewing photos in posts #2  
I thought it was just me. I vote for some better functionality on viewing pictures, if it is available. I find the current functionality somewhat of a PITA.

Soilsailor

/ Viewing photos in posts #4  
I agree on having the ability to look through the pictures without having to go back and select the next picture. It is nice and simple to use. I know Smokstak uses this set up and it works rely nice.

/ Viewing photos in posts #5  
if using a windows op system xp or + and ie 7+ simply right click on the thumbnail then choose to open in a new tab or new window..

soundguy

I notice that when someone has more than one photo in a post, to view the next photo you have to click on it then the photo opens in the same window that the thread was being viewed in. To view the next photo you have to back up to the post then click on the next photo which opens the same way as the first.

On other forums running the same software (vBulletin), I can click on the first photo which then opens in a resizable popup window, and I can navigate to the next photo by clicking on the forward/back buttons within that window. To return to the thread you click the close button and the popup window closes and you are right back where you started. You can even move focus back to the first window and scroll through the thread whilst viewing the photos in the second window as you read a lengthly thread maybe. It all works very nicely.

I don't know if this functionality comes from some add-on to vBulletin used on the other site, but if it is it is seamless and invisible to the user and works very well.

/ Viewing photos in posts #6  
if using a windows op system xp or + and ie 7+ simply right click on the thumbnail then choose to open in a new tab or new window..
soundguy

Also works in Firefox and Chrome. A faster way to do that is to middle click (click with the scroll wheel on most mice) on the image or on a link.

Aaron Z

/ Viewing photos in posts

soundguy

No, that is not the answer.

Here's an example of what I am talking about and how it could work.

In the first pic you see a snagit clip of the post with the thumbnail photos.

SNAG-0006.jpg

When you click on a thumbnail the photo is displayed in a pop-up window.
If you were to then click on the photo displayed in the pop-up it would display the photo full size. By using the Prev/Next buttons you can page through the all the photos without jumping back and forth from the thread to the photos, much easier to navigate.
SNAG-0007.jpg

SNAG-0008.jpg

/ Viewing photos in posts #8  
No, that is not the answer.
Here's an example of what I am talking about and how it could work.
In the first pic you see a snagit clip of the post with the thumbnail photos.
View attachment 254215
When you click on a thumbnail the photo is displayed in a pop-up window.
If you were to then click on the photo displayed in the pop-up it would display the photo full size. By using the Prev/Next buttons you can page through the all the photos without jumping back and forth from the thread to the photos, much easier to navigate.
View attachment 254216
View attachment 254217

Personally, I like being able to open multiple tabs... Waiting for each picture to load annoys me (especially when there are 5+ pictures).

Aaron Z

/ Viewing photos in posts #9  
i agree.. having different tabs lets you do things like compair 2 pics next to each other.. etc.. quick back and forth..

/ Viewing photos in posts #10  
Personally, I hate the way other forums do it... I love being able to open 2 dozen new tabs full of photos without having to leave the thread that I'm reading at the time. Not sure why you would open the photo in the same window, waiting for it to load, then re-loading the thread...

Maybe because when I go to a thread... after scrolling down through other threads, if I see photos that I want to view, if I click and try return to the thread... I get bumped up to the original post that I first viewed (not returning to the thread with the photo). (maybe it's just me :p)

Last edited: