Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!!

/ Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!! #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Sharn Jean and I are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with a trip to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. I would like to get a video camera and record some of this to relive during he long winters here; but I haven't looked at or bought a video camera since our Grandson was born in 1992. Would like something small, light and easy to use...something in the $300 or below range. Would like to be able to hook up to computer and record the video to disc, so that we could "share" the trip with others and watch at our leisure. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks;
Dennis.

/ Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!! #2  
In this price range, you can get an excellent name brand camera. I'm partial to Canon, but Sony, Panasonic and JVC are other good names. You should make sure you get full HD (1920x1080) resolution and an optical zoom (not just digital). Most now record to a memory card, which makes the camera lighter, faster. After that just look for one that you like the features and size.

Here is a typical example from a well known company that I've dealt with a lot: Canon VIXIA HF R300 Full HD Camcorder 5978B001 B&H Photo Video

/ Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!! #3  
I suggest you to use Canon, I have a Canon over ten years, it's still ok now.

/ Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!! #4  
True enough what has been stated, some are even good to go underwater if ya plan on doing any Snorkeling (Which is GREAT BTW & REALLY FUN & EASY.) You might look at getting one for EACH of you of the real cheap ones as carrying around a bigger full HD unit can get clumsy but some are no bigger than a flip phone & UNDER 50 bucks so CHEAP but picture Quality/storage capacity is not as good.

Also look for one that uses a Solid State type hard drive as they are very fast and have ability to offload onto other thumb drives quickly in remote areas if you fill up one. So many new things out there I have not kept up on but find it is hard to go wrong with a Name Brand version.

When looking at types of "Memory Cards" also know that some have faster physical silicon memory which is needed so the low cost cards usually are SLOWER at transferring data so recording Real Time onto them does not always work.

Samsung, Cannon, JVC (own a JVC now but found it only OK) so best I can say is go to the local stores and see what they have in-stock for Feel and Operation compare their operation stats vs costs & ease of use for you & your wifes hands/skill levels.

Mark

/ Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!! #5  
There have been huge changes to the video cameras since 1992. I have a Flip Ultra HD. I like it for my vacations i have taken. It is small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. takes fantastic video. It only holds 2 hours of video, but you can dump it on to your computer each evening. Since it is so small the zoom is limited. Then again since it is so small you have no reason to not always have it with you.

/ Video Camera...Advice needed!!!!!
Thanks a lot guys; we bought a Sony HDR-CX220. Now if I can just figure out how to work the darn thing. Wish I had known about the Flip Ultra, that sounds like a great device.