Vicon Andex 423T rotary rake

/ Vicon Andex 423T rotary rake #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Does anyone have any experience with these rakes? I am looking to trade my New Holland 256 in on this rake and would like some feedback since rotary rakes are still rather new to this area. It is a 13' 9" working width which is a good size for what I would like to do. My baler can handle 18' of heavy hay without any problems but I am thinking this would be good because with light hay I can double up just like I currently do (basically baling 27' at once). I still cut with a 9' discbine and I don't think that would be an issue since I lay the hay out in a wide swath and then spread it with a tedder.

The other item I am wondering about is what is one of these rakes worth? The dealer said it lists for almost $10k but wants it gone since it is after the main hay season so it is going to sit. He wants me to come look at it and make an offer. Is willing to take my 256 in on trade as well. Its brand new so what is a 423T worth? Also, what is a used 256 worth? My 256 has all good teeth (been changing over from rubber to the steel and have the majority changed over). The rake is in real good shape, the gear box started leaking and I bought a new seal for it but decided to fill it with grease instead of tearing it apart. It has been working well like that for three years now and I still have the seal but don't see any reason to change it currently. Paint is decent on it as well as the tires. I can take a pic of it if it would help but I was thinking around $2500 according to what I see listed online locally. Thanks

Vicon-Andex-323-353-393-423T-433_width500.jpg

/ Vicon Andex 423T rotary rake #2  
Not familiar with the Vicon, so I'm just going from pictures. But from those it looks like the Kuhn Rotary rakes (I do own one of these) are more solidly built and can be had at least a couple thousand $$ cheaper than that list price you give for the Vicon.

/ Vicon Andex 423T rotary rake #3  
As far as feed back on rotary rake. I talked a friend of mine about 12 years ago to buy one and he kept his 256. The 256 never gets used, ever since he bought the kuhn. My 1st experience with one was in the late 1980's working on a friends farm while in high school.

1 I highly recommend the 4 wheel units due to they ride much better than the 2 wheel. The huge advantage is the rotary give a much better windrow that allows better airflow and much faster drying. He figures it picks up anywhere from a few hours to a day with this rake as far as drying. That is why he hasn't used the 256 since the 1st few times after he bough the Kuhn. We raked side by side in the same field and it made a big difference. It seems to also flip the hay on the bottom up so it ends up near the top. So if you do have some damp spots they end up wher they will dry the fastest.

/ Vicon Andex 423T rotary rake #4