Vevor mini lathe

/ Vevor mini lathe #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So; on multiple threads, I've kinda spoke well about Vevor tools, so I feel it's only fair... last year around this time, I picked up a Vevor 7x14 metal mini lathe for $280 shipped. Haven't heavily used it, mostly screwing around, turning metal (and wood) into chips, and a mess, but made some minor things. It says plugged in in the shed, and sometimes I apparently forget to hit the shop switch and just turn the speed to zero, turning off machine.

Son mentions the other night, while working on something in shed, the lathe just came on, without being near it, he hits kill switch.

I go to screw around with it, and when the speed is turned on, even the smallest amount (anything below 50% max speed), it pulses, full WTF, off, Full WTF, off, ext. It still runs above about 50% max speed fine. Do some digging and find a small brass chip stuck on the control board, that I'm assuming shorted stuff out.

Now, the point of the post; who would ever expect small, electric conductive chips on a metal lathe?

I'm not necessarily mad, but I figured I'd post, the build quality is whatever, but they do seem to miss some pretty obvious things, like maybe a bit better sealing of a control board, right next to flying metal chips.

100% I should have kept it cleaner, and probably blowing chips off with compressed air, instead of a chip brush and vacuum, are probably my fault. I also don't know how a $1200 Grizzly would have done, but I figured I'd post it anyways.

Last edited:
   / Vevor mini lathe #2  
That lathe compares to the 7 x 10 HF lathe except the bed is 4 inches longer on the Vevor which even at HF prices is almost 3 times the price @$780.
Cutting something to get to that price.

I have several Vevor tools and so far everything has been good but have read some complaints on the 7 inch lathes. maybe you can put a conformal coating on the board to seal it. I thought I read there was an adjustment on the board to dial it in, but if something shorted out and was damaged?

Just got my Vevor MAG drill back from lending it out and actually had never used it so I tested it out and very impressed with it and the cutter kit, cuts through steel like butter.

Last edited:
   / Vevor mini lathe #3  
I've got a HF 7 x 12. One of the first things I did was to put screen were I could to keep chips out. I've made some bushings and pins for some clocks I own. Also just make some chips for fun! Great for small items, not gonna turn a cam on one unless for a model. It sounds like it took out a transistor controlling the speed. You can check them similar to a diode. Keep making chips! Check out littlemachineshop.com for some cool items for the little machines.

/ Vevor mini lathe #4  
I've got a HF 7 x 12. One of the first things I did was to put screen were I could to keep chips out. I've made some bushings and pins for some clocks I own. Also just make some chips for fun! Great for small items, not gonna turn a cam on one unless for a model. It sounds like it took out a transistor controlling the speed. You can check them similar to a diode. Keep making chips! Check out littlemachineshop.com for some cool items for the little machines.
Agree Keep making chips. There has got to be a way to fix it.

I started with a "clearance isle" HF 7 x 10 that had been dropped for $3-- something, been a great little lathe and I do still use it, when I can't fit it in the jaws of the used big brother HF Central Machinery 1224 lathe that was made in the early 1990's

Lathes are the coolest.

/ Vevor mini lathe
So, I should mention, currently the same machine is more than $280. Looks like $450 or so. Also, I sold a Craftsman micro (109.xxx) lathe, like 6x12, maybe smaller, that was basically just a bed and head/jaws, from the 1950s, no motor, no tool post, maybe a partially complete tail stock, for around $200 (paid $80 for it), to help fund the toy budget.
Screenshot_20231115_212704_Google.jpg

/ Vevor mini lathe #6  
I have a very similar lathe I bought from Princess Auto several years ago, as well as the matching mini mill. One can not pretend these are great tools, but for things just too small for my mid sized tools and usually in aluminum they are very handy to have. #1 son-in-law uses the lathe a lot for making pen parts. For the right price (that OP paid) they are good value for the money. My only Vevor tool is a rotary welding positioner good for something like 40Kg. Made some jaw extensions (threaded holes were provided) and it has been a well used and really good tool. More on that: when I was looking to buy one I went to the Vevor telephone help and from the US they found one of their dealers with the one I wanted in inventory on this side of the border. Good customer service is something I never forget.

/ Vevor mini lathe #7  
Some of the control boards are known to be sketchy, looks like a Seig lathe like the harbor freight and Grizzly units, littlemachineshop.com sells parts for them and are a great place to deal with.

/ Vevor mini lathe
Some of the control boards are known to be sketchy, looks like a Seig lathe like the harbor freight and Grizzly units, littlemachineshop.com sells parts for them and are a great place to deal with.
Yeah, I've kinda creeped around over there, and I've found some 'universal lathe motor speed control' set ups.

With as small as a 7x14 is, once tail stock, everything is in place, I'd hate to try to work on a 6x10, must be all of 4" of working room?