very tight throttle - adjustable ?

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
I have a 3410 HST. The throttle is very, very difficult to move from idle to 2000 rpm, and to go to 540 PTO takes both hands with bracing my body firmly with my feet - and then is still very difficult to manage - barely possible actually- and I am a fairly strong guy. Down line the linkage is easily moved by hand so I think that the problem is probably at the mounting of the throttle shaft (if that makes sense ) though I am not sure. I see a couple of nuts there but have not tried to monkey with it yet. Also, it seems to be getting more difficult as time passes. Today, I really had to pull with both hands to get engine to about 2000 rpm when digging post holes. Did not reach the 540 pto speed. Dealer advises that the throttle is supposed to be tight - but I am sure it is not supposed to be this tight. Suggestions ?

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #2  
RON: not sure if it is adjustable, but i do know that when i got my b2400 the throttle was very hard to move(but not like u describe) i just kept spraying it with wd40 and using it and it now works fine.

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ?
thanks - I will try that first. It came with 16+ hours - I have put on another 30 - as of today - and it is getting tighter as I use it. I will spray the WD40 on it for a while and see if that does it.

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #4  
My B2910 is like that too. When I start out it works fine, but as it heats up it gets increasingly difficult to move. I have resorted to whacking the throttle with the palm of my hand to make small RPM changes. I now have almost 550 hours on mine and it hasn't gotten any better or worse in the 2 1/2 years i've had it. The dealer didn't know what to do for it, and I've just learned to live with it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #5  
I use the term "bump up the throttle, because I make all my adjustments with my balled up fist. can't seem to get small adjustments otherwise. If I just pull on it,... it resists until it gives and then you're wide open.
I just live with it. I lubed it with wd40 once but t made no difference.

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #6  
It really will loosen up.

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #7  
My 4610 came with the same very tight throttle. With lots of use, it would probably loosen up, but at about 100 hrs. I decided to get proactive. The throttle lever is at the top end of a shaft extending from the dash down to the foot of the steering column. Down at the bottom end, there is a friction adjusting nut that simply needs to be backed off a bit and the throttle will loosen up. Only challenge is you have to take apart the plastic panels surrounding the steering wheel (with the light switch, flasher switch, etc.), to get at it.

Slathering WD40 up near the steering wheel makes a mess and won't help... you about have to open it up to lubricate in the right spot down near the floor. Once it's apart, you might as well just adjust it correctly.

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ?
Thanks, I will attempt that this weekend. I could have lived with the problem as is was when I first got the tractor, but it is getting tighter and tighter and I am sure the mfg did not intend to have operators use both hands, and brace their body with their feet and then tug to the point of risking a herina. Not exagerating. It really kind of detracts from the joy of seat time. Thanks again.

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #9  
Rogue,
Your BX is set up the same way, a friction nut locked with another nut. Back them off a bit until your throttle doesnt move too easily (or the vibration from the engine will move your throttle for you) and lock it back down. pretty easily done under the dash of the BX. I've done this twice since it was new. Got it just the way I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ very tight throttle - adjustable ? #10  
My L3010 also had a stiff throttle,re-peated lubrication just didn't solve the problem. I resolved the problem by adjusting the friction washer on the bottom of the throttle shaft. The bottom of the shaft has two nuts (one a jam-nut),by adjusting the tightness against the friction washer a multitude of tensions are possible.