Seeders Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ???

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #1  

Buxus

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060
I have about 18 acres of grass on my 32 acre property. About 10 of it gets hayed, and the other 8 I keep either finish mowed or nicely bush hogged depending on the time of year and my availability to mow. A flail mower purchase hopefully is in my future. The property is kept more as estate/gardens than a farm, and I do all the work myself except the haying and the very high, big tree work.

My question is mainly about the 7 more manicured acres. I apply no product (fertilizer, herbicide, etc), and I don't mind the clover and assorted weeds. But I do mind the wire grass - it is everywhere, it looks like **** starting in June, and then is even worse when in the winter when it goes brown. I intend to do battle with the wire grass, although I know every year forever I will have to spot spray new areas of invasion.

Last July/August I sprayed about an acre or so of different parts of the property (close to house, around the rose beds, etc) with Glyphosate from a 25 gallon tow behind sprayer. I got it good and dead, and then used an old Ryan Mattaway self-propelled (barely :) ) slit seeder to seed it in Sept and October. I added no product and did no irrigation. It came up beautifully and in all the areas totaling about an acre, there are only a handful of frisbee sized areas of wire grass which I have already killed this year and plan to reseed. I am very pleased with last year's results, but it took a LOT of time to do.

So here's the issue. My success last year has me hungry for more good looking lawn. My plan has been to repeat each year what I did last year, and eventually get all 8 acres done. Last year I did most of the tight areas that would be difficult for a tractor, and now I am doing more open areas. I've already sprayed a fair amount. A neighbor has for sale a 5 foot JD rototiller and 5 ft Brillion seeder. He used them together to redo his lawn. The Brillion can't overseed - it needs a prepared bed. The price seems good for two items stored under cover for years ($2600 total) by a meticulous owner. Initially I was excited about purchasing the two items for use in the more open areas, but then I wondered if this was really the best way to go. Digging up relatively flat lawn, exposing all the weed seeds, then having to drag it, etc. seems like more work than just slit seeding. And either way I have to spray the lawn first to kill the wire grass.

My tractor wheel spread is 7 ft, and the implements are 5 foot, but I doubt this is a big issue. The seller suggested that slit seeding without tilling and amending would not work. It seemed to work last year, but maybe I just got lucky? The Ryan seeder is a $@)*%$ to push, and is about 30 years old, so the idea of doing nice long passes with a newer implement is tempting, but the rototiller/brillion seeder combo seems like a "lateral move". Landpride and Kaspro and a bunch of others seem to make some nice overseeder units, and I could see maybe using one for even the hayed property in the future. I could also see using them for planting wild flower seeds for meadows etc. But even used they're over $4k. I've seen that some people use aerators as seeders, and they are cheaper, but I doubt one could get much grass density this way, but perhaps I am wrong?

How would you take on this project (other than just live with the wire grass :) )?

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #2  
Spray to kill weeds while they are growing.
I have used slit seeder in the existing grass with good results

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #3  
Do not hesitate to purchase the Brillion grass seeder and the rototiller if you can afford them.

Once you rototill at he deepest depth you can go through and till an area and then pick the rocks out if you have them and then use the Brillion seeder as it will give you a very thick sod bed.

Brillion Sure Stand Grass Seeder units are used on sod farms in many places. The nice thing about them is the two wheel packer system that drops the grass seed in a wide carpet through the seed tubes between the front packer wheel and the rear packer wheel firms the soil around the seed so it cannot be blown away. if you can purchase a fertilizer box for this unit I would not hesitate to buy one for your use as using a 5-5-5 fertilizer will help you a lot along with lime and gypsum spread on the old sod before tilling it under as it will bring up the PH and also help to dissolve the clay in the soil which will help the sod bed as it begins to grow and matures as the grass roots will go deep with the clay dissolved out of the soil.
If you buy a new slit seeder you still have to contend with the wire grass until the grass seeding population per square foot chokes out the wire grass. OR if you kill it off you will have rows of grass seed that will have to grow through the matted dead roots of wire grass to obtain any moisture in the soil.

Another option is seeding at right angles after the first slit is seeded and up after the wire grass is killed off but you will still have a low seed population per square foot of coverage.

If you have not done it already you need a soil test to help you get a good idea of what you need to add to the soil if you want to do that to improve it. you can top dress it with lime and gypsum and a very very small amount of fertilizer and then till it under and then plant your grass seed with the sure stand seeder.

Brillion Iron works has been making these things for a very very long time-40 plus years and they have made many improvements like acre counters and seed box brushes to agitate the grass seed to make sure it does not settle away from the seed drop tubes so all the seed is used.

You will be able to seed heavily and not lose any grass seed which will save you work and time and create a thick bed of sod that you can mow a month or two after you seed it.

Last edited:
   / Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ???
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone tried the following? Spray to kill all the grass. Mow very short with a collector to minimize thatch. Drag a heavy duty landscape rake to score the soil. Seed with a drop seeder. Roll with a roller.

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #5  
Since you have a tractor...A better solution is spray the area to kill it all. Don't till. Tillage destroys the soil structure and brings up dormant weed seed. At the proper time, rent a no-till-Drill and replant it all. Perhaps your hay guy has the Drill or knows where to get it. Hay guy might even have a 3 point sprayer too

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #6  
You will not gain anything by doing what you have described. You will have so much debris being pulled up by the rake that you will be constantly dragging it all to one end of the work and then lifting the rake to go back and pull up more of it-been there done that as I had huge amounts of dead grass and wood brush to dump off to one side and push it back with the loader bucket.

Its better for you to just buy his equipment and do an acre or two at a time to have perfect turf as long as you have the soil tested and add gypsum, lime and a triple 5 fertilizer.

Even if you do a long strip from one end to the other the width of the tiller for the seeder you will gain a huge amount of good turf in just one season as the seed will be properly planted and packed down with the packer wheels and it will. germinate quickly.
If you bring up rocks you just have to dig them up and then get rid of them and level the soil as much as possible before planting the grass seed.
I have been through this and you only have to do it once and you will have great turf that will choke out the weeds.
As long as you seed heavily using the seed meter on the Brillion sure stand grass seeder you will have good turf in a short time that you can mow in a month with a small ride on lawnmower if you own one.

The roller will not help you as the seed can still be blown away or picked at by birds so keep that in mind.

Using a Brillion sure stand grass seeder requires patience to do it right. The front packer wheel creates a slit in the tilled ground and the seed tube drops the seed into the slit that was created by the packer wheel and then the rear packer wheel pushes the dirt around and on top of the grass seed and it assure a high rate of germination and you do not lose any seed from the wind blowing it away.

I am not trying to spend your money. I have been through this and if you purchase the tiller and the brillion seeder you will not be making a mistake even if you till only to a 4 inch depth as you will be creating a good seed bed for good grass seed.

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #7  
The Brillion seeder is a great tool but there are other ways to do this too.

What I have done is till the entire area in one direction then wait a week. Then till again perpendicular to the first pass. If any smoothing is needed I use a land plane grader scraper to flatten out any bumps then use a spiked tooth harrow for the next pass. I will then broadcast the seed for the lawn at a very high rate (200 lbs.+/acre) and use either the spiked tooth harrow or pine straw rake to cover seed. Last pass is with a water filled roller to insure good seed to soil contact. I also use Scotts or Pennington starter fertilizer and broadcast it right after seeding and before covering the seeds.

This should be a good time to start this project, till up the area in the next week or so for the first pass. I prefer to plant about the first of September for best results if you have rain for germination. Most weed seeds won't germinate this late in the year but the grass will. Two months later I would apply a root stimulator fertilizer and with enough moisture you should grow roots all winter long even if the grass browns out. By early spring next year the grass roots will have long and thick roots that will block out most of the weeds. Keep up with the proper amendments with soil samples and allow the grass to grow tall enough to grow strong roots. I find that with Fescue that allowing it to grow to about 6 or 7 inch height and mowing at 4 inches works well.

Here is a picture of my lawn and a few customer pastures using the above method.

Attachments

• house 002.jpg
    house 002.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20150422_183038.jpg
    20150422_183038.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20141102_133238.jpg
    20141102_133238.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 428
   / Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ???
Thanks for the additional suggestions. Jenkinsph - wow looks great! Those photos are inspiring. What part of the country?

/ Vast lawn with wire grass - spray and slit seed vs. ??? #9  
Thanks for the additional suggestions. Jenkinsph - wow looks great! Those photos are inspiring. What part of the country?

Thanks. HONDO VALLEY. NEW MEXICO